Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

Required Reading
links to read before you join

Ic Info
Character information, Applications, and Adoptables

Bestiarum
The notable fauna of SWW

OOC Extras
Fun things around the forum to wittle at time between posts or links to OOC info

A comprehensive list of links to all our info

Guest Info Plot & Events

Current Month
7.2591 A.R.
9th Interval

Southern Winds has plotted events roughly every OOC week. This means our story is ever evolving and Southern Winds is changing. Events for the current month are listed here, once you've registered for an account.

Our roleplay time is pretty fluid. We allow you to play anything that may have happened in the past, but not in the future, as events that may affect the entire weyr may ruin futuristic plots.

We list Flights, Clutches, and Hatchings for both Dragons and Whers here, though not for firelizards.  There are Candidate events, Weyrling classes, Holder plots, and Crafthall developments -- a little bit of something for everyone.

See previous events here!

Feel free to say hello, guesties! Registered members can request a colored name here.

Remember,
this holds no IC consequence and is only for fun.

photo voteforus_zps4dda9678.png
Click on the following to place your vote for us. Daily clicks would be fantastic!

Pernese Online A Gift of Dragons Shadowplay Topsites Top RP Sites

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

http://southernwindsweyr.net/Images/news icon copy.png We are a mature, 9th Interval AU Pern. We've destroyed almost the entire planet in a catastrophic event. While we feature 2 new mutations, we stick pretty close to canon. We've Ranks, roles, and positions for just about anyone who wants to get involved, with a relaxed community. Play and post at your own pace. Swing by and say hello!

Registration?
Southern Winds uses a subaccount system to distinguish between Players and their Characters. So REGISTER with your Player Account Name and the admin will assign you your Character Subaccount once your character is approved!

Southern Winds is a Mature Roleplay. This means we allow for sexual, violent content that would be found in a struggling, 9th Interval Pern. Sex is common place in the Weyr and terrible deaths are no stranger here. As such, our players should be 18+. These themes are to be handled maturely at all times.

Regards,
Southern Winds Weyr

Author Topic: OOC Whatcha Reading?  (Read 5464 times)

Online SirAlahn

Re: Whatcha Reading?
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 01:19:50 PM »
Is it bad that I'm instantly less interested now that I know it's a YA book? >__>

I just yesterday started reading Dragonseye by Anne McCaffrey! This was the first Pern book I read beyond the Menolly ones, back in... fuck, like 2004? I don't remember much about it, except really liking it, and I figured, why not read it again.

There's a lot of things I'd just plain forgotten since I haven't actually read any of these since middle school. XD So I'm going to be taking notes. This particular one is set right at the start of the Second Pass, when the Pernese still remember Landing, the last of their ancestors' technology has deteriorated almost to the point of unavailability, and some people (looking at you, Lord Holder of Bitra) don't believe that Thread is actually going to return at all. I'm pretty sure this is the book in which they develop the starstones -- and at the very least, the one in which the Crafthalls/education system gets overhauled into the form it takes through the rest of the series.
Want me to color something for you? Click here.
I have too many wanted ads to list here. Click through to this link to see them all.

Offline Inki

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 02:08:37 PM »
Alahn I completely agree with the YA thing, I love reading, but I've recently been getting so many recommendations for books and they're all YA and I haven't liked any of them. So it's just put me off them forever.

Online SirAlahn

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 02:15:41 PM »
There are definitely some YA books that are near and dear to my heart... but I read them all when I was among the target demographic. Most of the time I just find them too... immature? That's not to say some aren't written well, of course. But I tend to like the sorts of subject matter than even some adults cringe at, so they tend to just not hold my interest.
I have too many wanted ads to list here. Click through to this link to see them all.

Offline SanctifiedSavage

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 02:27:00 PM »
There are definitely some YA books that are near and dear to my heart... but I read them all when I was among the target demographic. Most of the time I just find them too... immature? That's not to say some aren't written well, of course. But I tend to like the sorts of subject matter than even some adults cringe at, so they tend to just not hold my interest.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I don't like the fades or the mincing of words to... tone it down? Especially when adultish themes are used. I've just not enjoyed any YA books recently.

Though The Jewel is pretty good, I feel like it's wasted on being a YA series when it could've been so much better as an adult story.  :para:

Offline Kit

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 02:34:12 PM »
I still really love YA. I don't read it for the mature themes, if that's what my mood is I'll find an adult novel. But I like a lot of the character building in YA, I like seeing these younger protagonists and watching them grow and learn in their struggles and travels.

That beings said, currently I am rereading The Golden Compass, I never finished the series the first go around so I'm giving it another chance. I'm also reading a nonfiction book, A Voice for the Dead: A Forensic Investigator's Pursuit of the Truth in the Grave. The author is hilariously pompous and feels like a middle school kid who just discovered the thesaurus feature in Word, but the cases are interesting.

Offline Drewliet

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 02:43:21 PM »
The only books I kept with me when I moved the first time were my YA novels, things I grew up with and sort of molded me. Every year I try to reread all of my Tamora Pierce books, which I've reread so many times I practically have them memorized.

But I agree with not being able to get into new YA literature. I sometimes glance at that section when I go to B&N but everything feels like the watered down versions of better things.

I've never really known where to start when it comes to anything just plain adult fiction, though. My mom was into things like Danielle Steele, and I tried a few of those when I was younger, but they were too desperate housewife and not enough compelling plot in my opinion.

Offline Kit

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 03:00:26 PM »
@Drewliet

I fucking adore Tamora Pierce. If you're looking for some similar stuff, check out Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo. Also Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton, her writing really reminded me of Pierce.

V.E. Schwab has a book called Vicious that's an interesting look at villains though it's classified as adult it isn't super graphic. Her series A Darker Shade of Magic is good too.

Or on the more adult side, Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

and if anyone is looking for a seriously amazing and unique series, I highly highly highly recommend Illuminae and Gemina by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman the audiobooks are masterpieces and the print copies are truly artwork in the way they portray their story.

Additional adult books that have some really intriquing ethical and societal topics are The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi...really anything by him. I've read The Drowned Cities, but I liked The Water Knife better. I've heard good things about his book The Wind-Up Girl too.

@SirAlahn and @SanctifiedSavage you two might like Admiral by Sean Danker, it had a decidedly "Aliens" feel to it.

Online SirAlahn

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 03:02:44 PM »
Oh! *laughs* When I think of "adult" books, I really just mean things that... aren't YA, I suppose? I'm not really into reading romance for its own sake or anything like that. More that if a book is going to have "adult themes" that they aren't faded to black or sugar coated. But maybe that's also partly because I love dark fiction and horror in pretty much any form. :para:

I'll have to check those out, Kit! I haven't heard of them, but I'm always in the market for more books. Even when I have too many already.

Offline Kit

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »
Agreed. Romance novels as a whole are not my cup of tea and I certainly don't consider a book "adult" based on the romance in it.

Offline SanctifiedSavage

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2017, 11:38:14 PM »
I found this nifty site that just reveals the first page of a book, without the cover or anything about it. So if you're looking for something new to read...

Recommend me a book
About

Read the first page of a book without judging the cover. If you're hooked, click the reveal button and find out more.

Offline Asoliel

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 07:29:30 PM »
I picked up a book called An Affinity for Steel from B&N that I'm excited to start. It looks like a dystopia type, so should be good. :D And just finished the Gentleman Bastard Trilogy and excited for the prequel to come out. :)

Online SirAlahn

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2017, 07:31:47 PM »
*gasp* You read them! Aren't they awesome? The first two are amazing. I'm not as much a fan of the third one, but I'm excited for the rest of the books regardless. 0_0

Offline Aster

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2017, 07:42:49 PM »
I liked Gentleman Bastards a lot, too. :)

But right now, other than my medical thrillers and sci-fi that I'm always pouring through, the notable edition is Thick as Thieves by Megan Whalen Turner. You know. The book I waited seven years for.

It did not disappoint.

Turner's series is marketed as YA, but I think a teenager will miss a lot of the nuance; it's much better read in adulthood, per basically every adult I know who read the series first as a kid and then reread it later. I don't even like political stories, and I enjoy the shit out of this one. Though Irene is by far my favorite and she never appears, my second favorite plays a big part.

Offline Asoliel

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2017, 07:43:27 PM »
I still really liked the last one because it wrapped up so many loose ends from the first two. Not that the loose ends were bad, he played them well for the mystery. But it was good to make the connections.

Offline Kit

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2017, 07:48:58 PM »
The Gentlemanly Bastards is a phenomenal series.  :love:

I actually just recently broke a massive reading drought. I hadn't finished anything since November and I finished 3 books this week.

One was a retelling of Othello set in a grade school in the 1950's with eleven year olds that actually worked really well. Ian, aka Iago, was the best little shit ever. It's called New Boy by Tracy Chevalier

Currently I am reading a dark retelling of Peter Pan from Hook's perspective when he was one of the Lost Boys, called Lost Boy: The True Story of Captain Hook by Christina Henry. I'm super enjoying it and I hope to finish it tomorrow on my flight.

Offline Mareep

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2017, 10:09:40 AM »
Huh! My copy of the Lies of Locke Lamora arrived the day before yesterday. :D Fancy that!

Currently reading Titans of Chaos (3rd in Chronicles of Chaos), by John C. Wright. Awesome series if you love science and mythology. After that I'm dying to get into Fool’s Quest by Robin Hobb (the second in her newest ((?)) series featuring Fitz and the Fool- though it’s been so long since I’ve read the first one). After that, I’ll probably try the Magicians again, because I seem to get halfway through the second one and stop. ^^;;

Love the Recommend me a Book link. I spent hours on it last night hahaha.
Wanted Ads
Laimora || Teeahn

Pending: Rinasera || Saidra
WiP: Rinaran || Kel'lan

Offline SanctifiedSavage

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2018, 04:57:34 PM »
So I subscribed to the Kindle Unlimited through Amazon Prime and I'm endeavoring to read a bit more this year. Yay for resolutions

Anyways, there's a series I fell in love with that isn't finished yet - and I didn't finish the third book because the end is probably going to make me cry. I literally have 10 pages left of the 3rd book and I just stopped reading because it's at a happy part, but this series has been NOTORIOUSLY mean - in a good way. :P

Anyways, the series is Beautiful Monsters by Jex Lane

Definitely a mature series cause there's a lot of sex in it. ._. The world building is neat though and I fell in love with some of the characters. (I also hate... HATE a couple of teh others... )  The writing isn't the best, I'll be the first to admit, and I started the series thinkin' it was gonna be a 'wham, bam, thank you ma'am' sorta thing. Two dudes get together, there's some angst, and I move on with my life. That's what I THOUGHT it was gonna be.

But then I got all invested, I've probably cried three or four times out of sheer sadness and frustration BECAUSE THERE IS NO HAPPY ENDINGS in this series apparently and I'm a masochist. So, because the books actually made me cry, I have to mention them.

Offline daemillia

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2018, 04:37:57 PM »
I just picked up The Dinosaurs Lords solely because I loved the titles in the series haha. It has dinosaur knights, I mean, come on! So far I'm not regretting my impulsive decision, and it seems like it's going to be an entertaining read.

Offline Teak

• Just arrived
    • View Profile

• She/her
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2018, 08:01:14 PM »
I just started reading Running with the Demon.  So far it's pretty good though it started a bit slow.  I am always looking for new novels and authors though! 

The Gun Powder Mages series has started out pretty awesomely.  I need to snag the second one of those and The Change series is also starting out really good.  ....I love books way too much.

Offline SanctifiedSavage

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2018, 10:53:49 AM »
I am slowly going back through Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. Because vampire smut is the best. :love: I will freely admit that's pretty much the reason I read it. Though the story is great and the characters are the best - Anita is sorta a hit/miss self insertion - the rest are just love. I adore them so so much.

Offline Jarakrisafis

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2018, 11:04:07 AM »
I'm reading through the Wheel of Time. Book 3 at the moment, only about ten to go so I won't be bored anytime soon at least.

Offline Bee

• incorrect
    • View Profile
  • WeyrlingKi'ki
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »
I am pinball-ing wildly between like...four books right now, to the detriment of them all, probably! I'm trying to prioritize them, and I think I'll finish Record of a Spaceborn Few first because Becky Chambers is a good combo of great concepts and surprisingly light reading. Blue Lily, Lily Blue will likely follow, for similar reasons.

I'm slowly going through Chernow's Grant biography and Healey's Homosexual Desire in Revolutionary Russia as my....bedtime reads? I don't expect to finish Chernow any time soon. Every time I read nonfiction I feel weirdly guilty about not taking notes. Like a primal "THERE WILL BE A TEST ON THIS" instinct.
what is the holiness of empire? it is to know collapse. everything can collapse. houses, bodies and enemies collapse when their rhythm becomes deranged.

Offline Drewliet

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »
A few friends and I decided to start like a book club thing and last week was American Gods by Neil Gaiman, who also wrote Coraline and Stardust. I was interested in it because another friend highly recommended the TV show based off of it, but I wasn't a huge fan of the writing. It deals with a lot of mythos which was neat and kept me interested enough but overall sort of a let down considering the author's success elsewhere.

Also if anyone uses Amazon Kindle, it has a feature where you can "rent" up to 10 titles and keep them indefinitely to read at your leisure. You have to return them in order to get more, but it's a neat little library system that makes me happy because I don't actually have to go to a library. Their selection has a lot of variety but I don't think they include super popular titles.

Also if you have Amazon Prime, you can get 1 free book a month out of a selection of 5 or so books, all of different genres so I've been buffing up my personal book arsenal through that.

Offline Bee

• incorrect
    • View Profile
  • WeyrlingKi'ki
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2018, 03:10:19 PM »
Gaiman can definitely be an Idea Guy! I've contemplated going back and re-reading Sandman to see how well I think it held up, but that I think is...another decade's project.

An book updort:

I finished Record of a Spaceborn Few, but instead of being smart and continuing down my list, I uh...grabbed We Were Eight Years In Power. It's individual essays, though, so I've been doing one a night and am nearly done.

The great thing about working in a used bookstore is you see amazing stuff come through all the time and it's easy to read it. The bad news is you see amazing stuff come through all the time and it's easy to read it.
what is the holiness of empire? it is to know collapse. everything can collapse. houses, bodies and enemies collapse when their rhythm becomes deranged.

Tags:

OOC Recent

[Yesterday at 04:39:16 PM]

[Yesterday at 03:41:57 PM]

[November 15, 2018, 11:20:55 PM]

[October 31, 2018, 06:04:31 PM]

[October 29, 2018, 08:01:51 PM]

[October 29, 2018, 05:09:15 AM]

[October 25, 2018, 03:29:35 PM]

[October 25, 2018, 01:32:31 PM]

[October 25, 2018, 12:43:27 AM]

[October 24, 2018, 05:46:08 PM]

by Inki
[October 20, 2018, 06:20:59 AM]

[October 15, 2018, 10:40:46 PM]

[October 15, 2018, 12:17:45 PM]

by Inki
[October 12, 2018, 04:52:17 AM]

by Inki
[October 12, 2018, 03:23:05 AM]
Pern RPs | Other RPs
Red River Weyr - 3rd Pass Pern RP Rainbow Mists Weyr Canyon River Weyr | RPG-D
Fortune Favors the Brave | World of Remnant - An AU RWBY RP OSH
Under the Wings Pern Unbound | Xenedria: Scifi Master/slave RPG
Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! | The Gates - Demons vs Hunters Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate!

Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! |
Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! | Blood Law - Anitaverse RPG Open Affiliate!
Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! | Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate!