Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: We have four different themes for the Site, which you can change with a dropdown at the bottom. Named after the different Wings of Southern Wings Weyr : Jungle, Beach, Prairie, and Mountain.

Guest Info Plot & Events

Current Month
4.2590 A.R.
9th Interval

Southern Winds has plotted events roughly every 4 or 5 OOC days. This means our story is ever evolving and Southern Winds is changing. Events for the current month are listed here, once you've registered for an account.

Our roleplay time is pretty fluid. We allow you to play anything that may have happened in the past, but not in the future, as events that may affect the entire weyr may ruin futuristic plots.

We list Flights, Clutches, and Hatchings for both Dragons and Flits here, as well as whers.  There are Candidate events and classes and Crafter plots. A little bit of something for everyone.

See previous events here!
 photo OOCChat_zpseb6e942b.png
Feel free to say hello, guesties! Registered members can request a unique colored name here.

photo voteforus_zps4dda9678.png
Click on the following to place your vote for us. Daily clicks would be fantastic!

Shadowplay Topsites Top RP Sites

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

http://southernwindsweyr.net/Images/news icon copy.png We are a mature, 9th Interval AU Pern. We've destroyed almost the entire planet in a catastrophic event. While we feature 2 new mutations, we stick pretty close to canon. We've Ranks, roles, and positions for just about anyone who wants to get involved, with a relaxed community. Play and post at your own pace. Swing by and say hello!

Registration?
Southern Winds uses a subaccount system to distinguish between Players and their Characters. So REGISTER with your Player Account Name and the admin will assign you your Character Subaccount once your character is approved!

Southern Winds is a Mature Roleplay. This means we allow for sexual, violent content that would be found in a struggling, 9th Interval Pern. Sex is common place in the Weyr and terrible deaths are no stranger here. As such, our players should be 18+. These themes are to be handled maturely at all times.

Regards,
Southern Winds Weyr

Author Topic: Let's Do It Till We Get It Right [27.02.2590 8PM] || Keron  (Read 778 times)

Offline Colvin

• I don't just flirt with disaster, I make it fucking orgasm
  • Don't interrupt me when I'm being clever.
    • View Profile
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Bonded to one firelizard(s)
  • Vic
  • Kit
  • Candidate Karou
    Candidate Colvin
    Weryling Marika
    Wingleader R'sin
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
Let's Do It Till We Get It Right [27.02.2590 8PM] || Keron
« on: August 09, 2016, 06:50:29 AM »
Colvin would never admit it but he was slightly relieved and rather excited when he got a message through Vic from one of Keron’s flits that the miner wanted to meet up with them to start their lessons. Keron had said he would teach him so it shouldn’t have been that much of a surprise when the man actually followed through on that promise but a lot of Colvin’s life revolved around unkempt promises or lies, many of them his own. The message had said to meet him in the lower tunnel system, that Keron would be there after he stopped by the crèche.

He could have gone straight to the lower caverns to wait, as he was told but Colvin’s curiosity and natural proclivity for doing the exact opposite of what he was told had him striding down the tunnels towards the crèche with Vic on his shoulder as he snacked on some stolen meat rolls he’d nicked from dinner.

When he got to the crèche entrance he was surprised to see how many people were here. He generally was only ever here during assigned chore time when most of the parents were out working on their own tasks. It seemed like a lot of parents actually came and saw their kids at night—to tell them stories, hear about their days, tuck them in or some shit like that. Go figure.

Like most of the time when he was here, Cole’s eyes swept over the sea of children, idly wondering which were his. He didn’t even know what size child to look for as that would assume he knew how old his kids even were.

He leaned against the stone wall at the entrance, watching with a strange fascination, this scene before him that he had no knowledge about, parents actually caring about their kids. It took him a moment to find Keron in the crowd and uncharacteristically, Colvin did not try to get the man’s attention. He sat back and watched the miner with the two small children, a boy and a girl. They looked around the same age. Keron crouched so that he was more on height with the children, the girl leaned in close to him chattering away about something.

It was strange, Colvin thought, strange how natural the rough miner looked with these small people, how easy it all seemed for him to just sit there with all his attention on them and making it look so damn easy. Anyone could tell Keron cared about these two just by the way he looked at them, turned to listen to their every excited word, made sure they were happy. What had made his family so wrong then? Why didn’t his father care about his own kids happiness? And his mother, well, Colvin knew she loved him and Virilise but she had been young and meek and any motherly care was overshadowed by his father’s iron will.

A young red headed girl skipped passed him and then stopped, eyeing Colvin and the meat rolls curiously. She turned and silently came to stand next to him, leaning against the wall in a mimicry of his stance, leaning back, one leg back up against the wall casually, eyeing the room as if everything and everyone bored her and she was just an observer like him. He glanced down at her, pulling his attention away from Keron and the memories of his own childhood. Cole smirked and without a word handed the girl one of the meat rolls.

He watched for a few more minutes and then moved to leave. He had come here intending to find Keron, to talk to him now, and walk with him to the lower caverns but Colvin had a sudden panic about Keron seeing him here. Guilt and embarrassment burned up in him and he now had no desire for the miner to see him anywhere near the crèche, full of little children that may or may not be his and he didn’t want to see a look on Keron’s face that would confirm that Cole was just as shitty of a parent as his father was.

He slipped back out of the crèche and ignored Vic’s nuzzle of his cheek as he made his way to the lower caverns. By the time Keron arrived and found him, Colvin was all smiles again, joking and laughing and at ease in a way that would never expose that he had even been to the crèche.

Keron’s instructions and lessons gave him something to throw all his attention into and surprisingly Colvin was a good student, he was attentive and quick to pick things up. He asked intelligent questions and wasn’t afraid to have Keron show him if he didn’t know something. It was a testament to how smart Colvin was when he actually cared enough to try. Soon the two were working in focused silence.

After about a candlemark, Cole blew out a frustrated breath. “I don’t know if I’m getting the proportions right.” He held the half-finished fire cracker shell out to Keron to look at. “I mixed the charcoal with the Sulphur, I used two pinches of the firestone powder, you think that will be enough?” While he waited for Keron’s determination he picked up the bundle of twine used for the ignition wicks, mentally calculating how long of a wick he’d need on this particular one.

All power play by Rezerai and Virilise is allowed

Offline Keron

• I would like to be anywhere but here
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • miner.png
  • Bonded to three firelizard(s)
  • Kinabori, Sparrish, Takonic
  • Bonded to two wher(s)
  • Brown Kerosk and
     Blue Erosk
  • RaynePOTM
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
Re: Let's Do It Till We Get It Right [27.02.2590 8PM] || Keron
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 06:46:54 PM »
Keron always worried that his kids wouldn’t understand why he only came to see them once a week or so, he worried that they thought less of him or they’d think he thought less of them than the other parents who came to spend time with their kids. However, so far neither child seemed to really mind, instead he got bouncing hugs and kisses and then non-stop talking about every tiny detail that their young impressionable minds could remember. Which apparently didn’t include where they got the giant bruise on the side of their head or their knees but did include every detail of a particularly colourful flower they saw on their way to lessons.

If Keron was being honest, only seeing the children once a week made everything easier. It gave the kids lots to talk about so he just had to sit and listen, he only had to talk a little about his work, which was good because there is in general very little to say, his flitters get to play with the kids without being overrun with grabbing hands and too tight hugs, and the kids were actually excited to see him when he came. An affection Keron was sure would wear off if they had to deal with his surely demeaner and relatively slow life on a more daily basis.

As the kids bedtime drew closer, Keron set to tucking them in before he and each of his flitters gave them a kiss goodnight. Then he set off, still unsure about how to actually teach what he’d set out to do tonight. He’d hoped being around the kids would help a bit, but he got the feeling neither of his kids actually listened to his explanations, they just wanted to know if the bang was really loud or not.

He passed a young red headed girl on his way out, leaning casually against the wall and chewing contently on a meat roll and smiled at how eager she seemed to be apart from the young kids of the crèche, so eager to grow up. He’d be content to wait the few more years of eager youth his kids had before they reached this ‘too adult’ age. 

Colvin was just as he was expecting when he got to the caverns, joking even as his quick wit focussed on the task at hand. Keron had figured he was intelligent enough to take to the task quickly, but Cole’s modesty in his ability to ask questions was most impressive. Keron was far too much of a stubborn ass to do so while he was learning, as was pretty much every miner he knew, which is probably why training takes so long.

While Cole worked on his latest cracker, Keron powered through some of the latest mixes for demolition work on the new hold site, practically working on auto pilot as his mind mulled over the differences in stubbornness levels across the different crafts. Cole’s question had him staring blankly at the outstretched hand for a brief moment before coming back into the present.

“From the looks of it you need a little more sulphur, the colour is a bit dark. It’ll still work, but it’ll be more of a smoke bomb than a firecracker. This is still very bloody good for a couple of hours work.

So how long a wick are you measuring out? And what kind of victim are you thinking of?” Asked Keron as he leaned back in the dusty chair they’d appropriated from a storeroom somewhere. As he leaned back the chair creaked ominously and he quickly redistributed he weight forward again, it wouldn’t do nicely to have his career as a teacher sullied by falling off the back of his chair in the first lesson.

Offline Colvin

• View Profile
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Vic
  • Kit
  • Candidate Karou
    Candidate Colvin
    Weryling Marika
    Wingleader R'sin
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 09:13:30 AM »
Colvin surprised a great many people when he didn’t hesitate to ask questions, whether it be in the Harper classes, or even occasionally in the Candidate classes. His natural swagger and puffed up bravado always set people up to think he would be above trying to learn or admitting he didn’t know everything. He had been so much more eager in his first turn as a Candidate back when he had no real knowledge of the inner workings of it. He’d been Hold born and bred and Candidacy had not only gotten him away from his father and a craft that he had begun to feel constricted and bored in, but had also opened a whole new world of unknown to him. That eagerness hadn’t lasted long, less than a turn and after his first two failed standings, and then a third…forth…that newness and excitement was nowhere to be found.

Occasionally the spark still showed, when O’sir’s classes veered away from the general knowledge that he had heard countless times over and was really for the newer, younger Candidates, into open discussion and speculation. When they had discussed the mutations and the phenomenon of so many hatchlings going Between from Imyth’s clutch he had almost felt that excitement and drive again. It had been a puzzle, an unanswered question, a challenge. He had spoken up then and participated, genuinely interested in the discussion and O’sir’s thoughts. He was not interested in techniques to oil a dragon or the seriousness of being sexually prepared for one’s first flight after Weyrlinghood. One could only sit through those lessons so many times.

Keron’s lessons here were new and unlike anything Colvin had done before and so the miner had all of his attention. “Smoke bomb? Noted.” He grinned mischievously and filed that little mental note away. Knowing how to make a smoke bomb could be just as useful as a firecracker. Thoughts of pranking the kitchen workers and having them panic that they had burnt all the food was already dancing around inside his head.

He’d never admit it but Keron’s compliment of his work so far made him giddy, praise and positive reinforcement was the one high he didn’t have a constant drug for, he surely didn’t get it from his parents and O’sir’s patience for him had dwindled just as much as Colvin’s patience for the Candidate Master’s classes. Colvin would never admit to being eager to earn someone’s praise or approval. He was convinced he didn’t need anyone’s approval. Yet, there would always be a part of him that still yearned to make his father proud, to make his father seem him as something worthy, even once.

“I’d be lying if I said my first thought in victim will always be O’sir.” His desire to annoy the shit out of the man was instinct at this point, the same way it was instinct to try the door to the man’s office to see if it was locked any time he pulled a willing girl with him to have some fun in the tunnels. “But, the Weyr wasn’t built in a day, I suppose I ought to start smaller.” A crashing rant from Vic told Colvin that the flit didn’t think he should be starting anything at all.

“So instead I’m thinking something nice and simple, maybe setting off a series of them in the girl’s barracks just after they all go to bed for the evening.” Of course, despite Colvin’s words that really wasn’t as simple of a task as he made it seem. He’d have to find time to get into the barracks when no one was there and then he’d have to have the wicks lit to burn at precise timing to get them to go off well after he was gone and after the girl Candidates were in bed. He had no qualms about messing with the female Candidates. He had no ties to pretty much any of them, except maybe Gael. Most of the girl’s he had known had moved on now, paired with their new dragons, Ian, Marika, Seth, even Kayden now was gone, and Ehrran had taken to sleeping in that idiot V’len’s weyr.

“How fast does this usually burn? Are there tricks to slowing it down, other than a longer wick of course, or speeding it up?”

Offline Keron

• View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • miner.png
  • Bonded to two wher(s)
  • Brown Kerosk and
     Blue Erosk
  • RaynePOTM
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:36:57 PM »
Keron gave a small snort with a brief quirk of his lips, remembering his excitement when he figured out how to make the smoke bombs. He also remembered his first disaster with them and just how hard it was to scrub the black coating off his skin. “You’ve got to be careful, with them though. Be far enough away when it goes off and make sure you’re upwind because it’s runner shit to get in your eyes and worse to get in your mouth.”

“O’sir is the Candidate Master, right? He has a big brown?” the burley miner thought about it for a second, starting small was always a good tactic if you didn’t want to be caught. At a certain point everyone knew it was him and he kind of enjoyed the workout of a good fight, so he didn’t really need to hide it. If everyone knew who did it, starting off with a bang might be the best way to go before you had figurative and sometimes literal walls to get through. Thankfully Keron was particularly good at getting through walls, it was what he trained his whole life for after all.

However, he also knew that he didn’t like working with others because he thought all their ideas were stupid or boring, so instead of forcing his opinion on Cole, he elected to stay silent. He didn’t doubt whatever prank Cole pulled he’d hear about regardless if his first target wasn’t the Candidate Master.

Keron’s eyebrow raised at Cole’s second idea. “Revenge between men is easy, revenge from a woman is far worse and makes wild whers look tame. My sons mother taught me that. In case you’re ever planning on having kids someday.” He wasn’t kidding either, the parting between he and his second child’s mother was not an easy one.

“Fast? This type of blend usually works for about thirty to ninety seconds, more sulphur is more sparks but less time, too much charcoal and it won’t spark at all, just explode of fizzle out very disappointingly. There are other ingredients you can use for bigger explosions, different types of sparks, longer times, but they require other lessons. Really the only other edit you can make to these is the size of them in general, and the colour. If you add sea salt you can turn them green, cobalt turns them blue, that kind of thing. Make one with a bigger shell but the same proportions and the sparks are bigger, or the smoke, they can last for longer too.”

Keron quickly measured out roughly the same proportions but in one of the bigger containers he was using for his ‘Maids’, a nickname they made for the powerful detonators used to ‘clean out’ the tunnels for the new hold, and lit it before throwing it into the center of the room in front of them. “Watch this one and compare it with yours, that’ll let you know how the size effects it.”

Spoiler for OOC:
I'm so sorry about the children comment but Keron wouldn't let me do anything else!!! For the angst I caused Cole I am truly sorry <3

Offline Colvin

• View Profile
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Vic
  • Kit
  • Candidate Karou
    Candidate Colvin
    Weryling Marika
    Wingleader R'sin
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:51:25 AM »
Colvin was tragically and unfortunately intimately familiar with the experience of having runner shit in both his mouth and his eyes so when Keron warned him of the dangers of the smoke bombs he shuddered. “Duly noted.” He’d make sure to be far, far away if he ever tried to set one of those off.

“Yeah, he’s the Candidate Master,” sometimes Cole forgot not everyone had the distinct pleasure of dealing with the cranky brown rider every day. A wry grin played on his lips when Keron commented on Saibrasoth. Was the miner trying to subtly remind him that pranking his Candidate Master, who had a dragon who could easily squish him, was probably not the smartest first move?

Colvin paused in his work of adding the wick to his little firecracker, glancing up at Keron when he made the comment about children. It was only a brief look before he dropped his gaze again to focus intently on attaching the wick, a task that even in his apprentice state did not require the level of focus he was giving it. “I have kids.” He remarked, short and sweet, because Faranth help him if Keron asked how many or how old or whether he had sons or daughters.

“You make a habit of pissing your two’s mother off then?” He asked. “First girl I ever had a kid with was wherry shit crazy.”

Cole shifted to the side of the table to get a better view of the explosive Keron had thrown into the center of the room. Once that one detonated he didn’t hesitate to light the wick on his own firecracker and tossed to the same area to see the difference. Every time they exploded with a sharp bang, Cole’s grin grew. There was something so satisfying about it.

Offline Keron

• View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • miner.png
  • Bonded to two wher(s)
  • Brown Kerosk and
     Blue Erosk
  • RaynePOTM
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 07:34:10 AM »
“So is he the first thought of a victim just because he’s the Candidate Master? Or is there an interesting story behind this? If there is, full warning I will probably laugh at you if you got your ass handed to you by a guy you then had to sit in lessons with for the whole turn.” Apparently even with people Keron tentatively considered a friend, he still hadn’t managed the basic decency of… well… not being an asshole.

Thankfully, in this case, he wasn’t worried about Colvin not giving back what he dished out. That’s at least what made this conversation easy, and he really was uncomfortable around most conversations. This was more a set of opportunely placed digs, all in fun of course, rather than some measly platitudes about the weather. And, at least Colvin was interesting, which meant listening was just as easy as normal, if not actually enjoyable, so he did want to know any stories behind Cole’s chosen victims.

Coles comment of kids didn’t seem off to Keron at all. They’d only talked briefly about him visiting the crèche as a reason he’d be back in the weyr and the other man hadn’t mentioned anything then, but that wasn’t really unusual given the circumstances of their first meeting and brief flitter contact to arrange a time. Also, given their ages were basically the same, it was usually expected for a guy to have a couple of kids by that point. As such, although it mightn’t have mattered regardless, Keron didn’t realise he was pushing a subject that wasn’t meant to be pushed. At least, until they stopped being friends and Keron turned into an asshole hellbent on vengeance. “Oh, hadn’t seen you around the crèche, given it’s the only place in the weyr I actually spend time in now, they older than crèche age then?”

“I wouldn’t call it a habit, just a natural talent.” Said Keron, with a grunt and only the smallest hint of his crooked smile. He really didn’t try to piss them off, well… there were a couple of exceptions to that but mostly he was nothing but civil. Far better than he was to most people. “I guess I just don’t really understand women, or people in general. To be honest, other than my kids, I’ve spend longer uninterrupted time in your presence without a fight of some sort than anyone else in a long time, not including work crews, but that’s because the Master in charge of the demolition crew has a bronze wher who acts more like a Hunter than anything else. Which either means you’re as wherryshit as I am or you have the emotional range of a child of two turns.” Turning his thoughtful look on Cole, he raised a brow, “so which one is it, ex-Harper and not-quite-Rider boy?”

“Also,” continued Keron in his pretend sagely manner, “I’m pretty sure whatever women slept with you would have to be wherry shit crazy, given that the first time we met you were almost set on fire and that made you request a second visit.”

After Cole’s firework had gone off, Keron nodded a few times, “that was good. You can tell from the sharp crack you didn’t stuff the powder too dense, pack it tighter if you want a more muffled effect, or wrap it in something. When you’ve decided on your first prank, you’ll have to give me the time and place, it’ll be nice to watch the genius of another being employed, with all the surprises in tact.”

Offline Colvin

• View Profile
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Vic
  • Kit
  • Candidate Karou
    Candidate Colvin
    Weryling Marika
    Wingleader R'sin
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 11:38:30 AM »
An interesting story behind him and O’sir. Cole’s brows drew together thoughtfully as he moved back behind the table and began to work on another firecracker, making note of Keron’s overview of his first one. “A little of both. The fact that he’s the Candidate Master instantly makes it enticing.” How could it not? The danger and ridiculousness of a Candidate pushing the Candidate Master the way Cole did was an adrenaline rush in and of itself. “And I’ve been sitting through his lessons for three turns now, and pretty sure I’ve been on O’sir’s “naughty” list for every mark of those three turns. What’s one more?”

“But please, if you ever want to crash a Candidate lesson and stand in the back and laugh at me, I will consider it a personal favor.” Cole had no issue with people laughing at him. He was, after all, a performer.

“Um. See. About that. I don’t really know how old my kids are.” He hemmed and hawed and then just shrugged giving a goofy grin like, “oops.” Sure, oops, like it was totally common place to forget your kids. “Aren’t they pretty much all about the same until they have teeth and can talk and you know, do things like reach door handles?”

Cole was quiet as Keron talked, listening as he mixed the powders. “People are easy to understand. They only want three things, respect, power, or acceptance. And most people are boringly predictable once you know what’s motivating them.” He glanced up and smirked at Keron. “Probably a little of both. I have been told I have the emotional range of a teaspoon. The maturity of a toddler. And the least healthy respect for rationality that someone had ever seen.”

Keron’s comment about his first lover made him laugh, nearly making a mess of the black powder. “Hey now, a little fire in the bedroom isn’t a bad thing. Keeps things interesting.” He cocked his head. “That woman would have absolutely set my bed on fire with me in it if she could have. Volatile.” Cole shook his head at the memory.

“So, miner boy, if my requesting a second meet up makes me insane, what does your accepting it make you?” He teased.

Offline Keron

• View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • miner.png
  • Bonded to two wher(s)
  • Brown Kerosk and
     Blue Erosk
  • RaynePOTM
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 05:32:08 AM »
Keron snorted indelicately, “you and I certainly view the ‘naught’ list with the same mind,” he said even as he shook his head in dismay and returned to his seat with his legs propped up on the desk and his chair leaning back. “I’m pretty sure the Masters are taking their threats to never graduate me to heart. Although being an apprentice still doesn’t exactly suck with my specialty, it would be nice not to have to report to someone on my progress every damn day, and the fact I’ll never get a wher stuck as an apprentice.”

With a roll of his eyes and a sardonic twitch of the corner of his mouth, Keron attempted to put aside the brief twinge of doubt that spiked up. He would certainly deserve being stuck as an apprentice for a couple more years, and Keron deep down knew that, didn’t mean he had to like it. He just usually didn’t talk to someone long enough to complain to them about it.

“What do candidates even do in lessons? I mean… we learn shit about tools and how to find minerals and how to not cause a cave in and all that but… what do you have to learn about dragons that you have to do before your weyrling stuff? I feel like you need a dragon to know about how to have a dragon right?” Keron trailed off at the end, he just didn’t quite understand candidates, never had, but he didn’t like admitting he wasn’t smart in front of anyone, especially someone who’d just taken what some people need weeks to learn and did it in a couple of hours. Most of that without Keron saying anything because he didn’t really know what to say after the initial explanation. But he didn’t want to seem too ignorant so he tried to pass it off with a gruff grunt and uncaring shrug.

Keron laughed initially at Cole’s comments on his kids, not outright laugh, just grunt with a small chuckle at the end, until he realised Cole was serious. He stared at him for a bit, not quite judging, but not quite understanding either. He knew weyr life was different, hell Keron’s relationship with his kids and his baby mothers was considered more weyr life than holder life, but actually not knowing your kids wasn’t something Keron had ever considered. The silence stretched for a while, even Keron thought it was awkwardly long at the end, before Keron ultimately shrugged. “I guess. Although I heard some kids last week weren’t tall enough so constructed a human ladder to get out of the pen during naptime. Caused a bit of a ruckus apparently.”

Pausing a little, Keron eyes the man he was beginning to consider a friend… quietly, and a little more gruffly than he really intended, the short miner cleared his throat and asked, “did you want to know them? After they reach your height requirement of course.” That was how people dealt with serious conversation, right? Good friendshiping Keron. Well done.

Keron did laugh outright at Cole’s assessment, “The least healthy respect for rationality… damn, I’ll have to remember that one, I’m sure it’ll get me good points with the master the next time a new apprentice blows out a tunnel and I pull that one out, he’ll think I’m taking word lessons on the side to make myself smarter, I might graduate after all… Wait, how many of those comments came from your exgirls? I’ll need to know who to thank.”

After chuckling even more, probably filling up Keron’s laugh quota for at least a week, Keron ended with, “Oh, I’m a masochist, everyone knows that. And yes I know what the big word means. Plus, spreading chaos seems to be my life purpose, and if they never graduate me to a journeyman I’ll have to find someone to pass the knowledge too on my own time. You seemed to be the best candidate for, as my least favourite master likes to call ‘the most selfish endeavour of reminding others that people can be worse disasters than the catastrophe itself.’”

Face curving into Keron’s standard lopsided smile, he fondly remembered the broken nose he’d suffered in order to get that particular comment thrown his way, as he pulled out a piece of clay and began to whittle.

Offline Colvin

• View Profile
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Vic
  • Kit
  • Candidate Karou
    Candidate Colvin
    Weryling Marika
    Wingleader R'sin
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »
Cole laughed. “Had I stayed with the Harper’s I probably would be in the same boat. I don’t think they would have ever let me rank up beyond an apprentice.” Who was he kidding, a few more turns as a Candidate and he might be right back in that sinking boat.

“You can’t get a wher as an apprentice?” He asked with genuine curiosity. He didn’t know much about whers, other than the brief lessons they got in Candidacy and the fact that he had seen Peacekeepers with them in Fort Hold.

At Keron’s questions about Candidate classes, Cole looked up from the powders with an expression of pure appreciate. Thank you! Finally, someone seemed to understand his frustration with the whole Candidacy program. “Exactly!” He said pointing a finger at Keron in a “at-a-boy” way. “There’s only so many times I can sit around listening to the same lessons over and over and over again before I want to, you know,” he lifted the mixture of powders, “blow my brains out.”

As an apprentice at least you were constantly learning new things, working towards an eventual goal and exam to move on to the next step. In Candidacy there was no finite time of that next step, there might never be a next step. And so he was stuck, hearing the same lessons, turn in and turn out. Stagnant. For someone like Cole, who picked things up quickly and who got bored of things just as fast, it was torturous. “And don’t even get me started on what a crock it is that they use us to oil their dragons and tend to their gear. Candidacy is simply glorified drudge work.”

Cole side-eyed Keron when he laughed in regards to Cole’s comment about his kids. Cole felt the awkwardness immediately because of course he knew he hadn’t been joking. Normally people judging him about his lack of interaction with his children didn’t bother him. Maybe it was because he’d just witnessed an intimate moment with Keron and the miner’s children, but Keron’s look did bother him and he shifted, busying himself with the supplies on the table.

Keron’s question once he did break the long, awkward silence surprised him. Did he want to know his kids when they were older? He finished up the explosive he’d been working on and cut the wick off at the right length before immediately starting another other, letting his hands have something to do while he thought.

“No.” He said finally. He didn’t want to know them when they were older. “I’d rather let them grow up free of me and not risk them getting screwed up.” The only father he knew was not the most ideal of parenting role models and so Colvin was dead set on not putting any offspring of his through the kind of childhood he’d been put through. If he didn’t acknowledge his children, if he didn’t acknowledge that he was a father--however many times over at this point--then he couldn’t become his father.

Offline Keron

• View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • miner.png
  • Bonded to two wher(s)
  • Brown Kerosk and
     Blue Erosk
  • RaynePOTM
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 02:22:54 AM »
Keron rolled his eyes at Cole’s question, not at Cole, but at the situation in general. Sighing deeply, he whittled for a little longer before answering. “It’s not that we aren’t allowed. It’s just… it’s kind of a rite of passage that you get a wher when you get tapped. Also, if I were to get one before that, given it might never happen, I’d have to find someone who’ll actually give me an egg. And the only Gold Handlers I know are assholes, so that’s… unlikely,” he finished with a grunt. Given the kind of disrespect Keron was known for by his superiors, the fact that he cared about the rite of passage could have been surprising to anyone. The fact that people probably wouldn’t want to give him an egg, was less surprising.

Colvin’s enthusiasm at his next statement was surprising to Keron however. Wasn’t that obvious? Didn’t everyone think that? He frowned before chuckling, “the trick to doing it well is to keep your brains, and everything else, intact.”

His humour dried up quickly as Cole mentioned drudge work, given his parents and their history, it wasn’t something he particularly wanted to talk about. Out of all people he knew the humiliation of drudge work, maybe that’s why the Miners craft meant so much to him, even if the people in it didn’t hold a particularly fond place in his heart.

If it had been anyone else, Keron might have only been made even more awkward by Cole’s next statement. As it was, he didn’t. He sat silently for a bit, mulling it over, but he didn’t feel any judgement about Colvin’s approach to his kids. After all, Keron’s father definitely screwed him up by abandoning him. Given the shit riders had to face with thread and the Hunters and even the bloody Beach Snakes, maybe it was better for the kids of riders.

Demolitions was a dangerous job, but it wasn’t any more so than most crafts… and he could never be a Weaver. He knew he wouldn’t throw himself into the line of fire because of his kids, but riders didn’t have that opportunity. Keron, of course, didn’t know that Cole had other ideas about screwing his kids up, and probably wouldn’t understand if he did know. After all, if Keron could be a fair enough father, then so could Cole.

“I could understand that,” he said quietly. “My father left us to join the flame crews, apparently, kitchen work wasn’t good enough for him. I’m pretty much the tapestry child for being screwed up by asshole fathers, so it’s fair enough you don’t want your kids spending their spare time teaching snot nosed candidates how to blow shit up,” he smirked.

“Thankfully, my kids are nothing like me. I swear my daughter could outtalk a wherry, and my son hugs everything and everyone.” Keron gave Cole a look of fatherly pain, “he’s as bad as a bloody flit. Given their mothers are scarier than the Hunters most days I have no idea where they get it from but I’m going to get grey hair the turn they reach maturity. Like, all at once. You’ll see me one day and I’ll be needing a cane and someone to chew my rabbit for me.”

Putting down his whittling knife, Keron chucked the small piece of black, chalky stone to Cole. In the shape of a curled up, sleeping dragon. It was a pretty easy shape, and he’d been working on it for a couple of days in his spare time, but his son had asked for a flitter, not a dragon, so he figured giving it to Cole was easier than throwing it out.

“Here, in case you never get one of your own.” Face brightening for a bit, he turned to Cole, “but if you do get one of your own, do you think you could threaten the other riders into staying away from my kids. Or let it eat me if they ever pick a rider over a crafter?”

Offline Colvin

• View Profile
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Vic
  • Kit
  • Candidate Karou
    Candidate Colvin
    Weryling Marika
    Wingleader R'sin
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 06:42:42 AM »
“I think that’s a requirement of the color,” Cole muttered. “That you have to be a stiff, cold-hearted ass to have a gold anything.” He paused for an all too innocent few seconds, cocking his head as if in thought and then smirked prettily at Keron. “Say, don’t you have a gold flit?”

That dig had been intentional. His comment about drudge work had not and it was hard to say if Cole had known about Keron’s past and parents whether that would have kept him from making the comment in the first place. Probably not.

“Flame crews?” Cole whistled lowly. That was no joke. Probably one of the most dangerous jobs in Pern during Threadfall besides actually being in the air on dragonback. And at least the dragons could go Between.

As Keron waxed on about his children, the sheer obvious love he had for them made even Cole smile and not a showman smile or a smirk, an actual true smile. One of those rare ones that when you saw him do it made it painfully obvious how deliberate and fake the others were. Faranth, he’d never heard his father talk about any of his children the way Keron was talking about his. Was that how it was supposed to be?

“They certainly don’t get their good looks from you, that’s for sure.” He teased absently, forgetting he wasn’t supposed to know what Keron’s kids looked like as he concentrated on catching the whittled dragon. The black stone dragon, curled sleeping and peaceful in Cole’s palm as he looked at it. Another black. This one he didn’t plan to give away, though he didn’t feel bad about giving the other to that kid in the creche, she’d needed it more than he had at the time.

“If I do Impress, I’m shamelessly taking your kids for dragon rides so all they’ll want to do is be a rider.” He said just to be contrary. “What? You’d rather them blow things up and teach snot nosed Candidate’s how to blow things up?” He fingered one of the firecrackers. “Teach me some of the stronger stuff!” The little poppers were fun, good for a laugh or a small scare. He wanted to know more though.

OOC Recent

[Today at 11:52:30 AM]

by Kit
[Today at 06:19:49 AM]

[June 20, 2017, 05:37:10 PM]

[June 20, 2017, 05:36:36 PM]

[June 18, 2017, 09:01:44 AM]

by Kit
[June 17, 2017, 10:40:24 PM]

[June 17, 2017, 07:18:27 PM]

[June 17, 2017, 05:18:23 PM]

by Inki
[June 15, 2017, 11:43:21 PM]

[June 15, 2017, 10:36:59 PM]

[June 15, 2017, 06:40:00 PM]

[June 15, 2017, 01:12:00 PM]

[June 15, 2017, 11:11:23 AM]

[June 15, 2017, 08:20:16 AM]

[June 14, 2017, 09:03:41 PM]

Open Threads

If you have any open threads and you'd like them listed, let us know.
In-Depth Character Prompts - For SOLO Threads

Don'tcha Just Hate It When... - 21.6.2589 x Seaphonellqua

Just Teasing - 1.9.2589 x Nishi

Death by Boredom - 32.10.2589 x Callista

Weyrling Shenanigans - 5.1.2590 x Weyrlings

Sunbaking - 15.1.2590 x W'um

Klah and Long Nights - 23.1.2590 x Isotarïne

Sun and Sarcasm - 13.3.2590 x B'lye

Breakfast Delivery - 15.3.2590 x K'eeda

In the Radiant Sun - 15.3.2590 x T'lor

Three Cheers to Sweet Isolation - 17.3.2590 x Penderton

Napping on a Wher - 18.3.2590 x Sarinea