Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Most of the site is visible to guests, though we do have a Member's Only forum and an IC Cbox that becomes available once you join!

Guest Info Plot & Events

Current Month
4.2590 A.R.
9th Interval

Southern Winds has plotted events roughly every 4 or 5 OOC days. This means our story is ever evolving and Southern Winds is changing. Events for the current month are listed here, once you've registered for an account.

Our roleplay time is pretty fluid. We allow you to play anything that may have happened in the past, but not in the future, as events that may affect the entire weyr may ruin futuristic plots.

We list Flights, Clutches, and Hatchings for both Dragons and Flits here, as well as whers.  There are Candidate events and classes and Crafter plots. A little bit of something for everyone.

See previous events here!
 photo OOCChat_zpseb6e942b.png
Feel free to say hello, guesties! Registered members can request a unique colored name here.

photo voteforus_zps4dda9678.png
Click on the following to place your vote for us. Daily clicks would be fantastic!

Shadowplay Topsites Top RP Sites

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

http://southernwindsweyr.net/Images/news icon copy.png We are a mature, 9th Interval AU Pern. We've destroyed almost the entire planet in a catastrophic event. While we feature 2 new mutations, we stick pretty close to canon. We've Ranks, roles, and positions for just about anyone who wants to get involved, with a relaxed community. Play and post at your own pace. Swing by and say hello!

Registration?
Southern Winds uses a subaccount system to distinguish between Players and their Characters. So REGISTER with your Player Account Name and the admin will assign you your Character Subaccount once your character is approved!

Southern Winds is a Mature Roleplay. This means we allow for sexual, violent content that would be found in a struggling, 9th Interval Pern. Sex is common place in the Weyr and terrible deaths are no stranger here. As such, our players should be 18+. These themes are to be handled maturely at all times.

Regards,
Southern Winds Weyr

Author Topic: Welcome to the madhouse [ 17.10.2589 / 8PM ] Rinokan  (Read 641 times)

Offline Sionann

• Be prepared to appreciate what you meet
    • View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Bonded to one firelizard(s)
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
Welcome to the madhouse [ 17.10.2589 / 8PM ] Rinokan
« on: January 19, 2017, 02:18:03 AM »
The ability to recollect what it was like to be brand new and uncertain about everything was hardly a difficult achievement to make given that it hadn't be so very long since she had been the one whom everyone had been looking at and whispering about behind her back as she got settled in and made truly comfortable. Sionann was determined though to help out as much as possible in encouraging the newcomers to settle in properly.

With that in mind she headed for the young man and put a warm smile on her face at the same time "Hello there! Are you looking for someone in particular or someplace? It's really easy to get turned around in here" she admitted that facts in her typical bright and engaging voice as she waited for a reaction to her presence and her question "I'm Sionann, one of the candidates and you're new here, right? Are you settling in?" yes, it was a lot for her to keep asking questions but now she'd started Sionann found herself carrying on regardless.

That was just the way she was and hopefully he would manage to cope or otherwise adjust to the sort of character which she possessed.

"Do you know anyone here, yet?" she asked, deciding that it only made sense to check if he would be looking for some familiar faces, that would probably help out a great deal and if not she certainly had no issue with helping out as much as possible in sticking around to be his companion and perhaps work on becoming friends.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:40:32 PM by Southern Records »

Offline Rinokan

• Firecracker with a lit fuse
  • The fuck do you want?
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Scoria
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
Re: Welcome to the madhouse [ 17.10.2589 / 8PM ] Rinokan
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 06:01:40 PM »
At least he’d been given a day to… say goodbye, in a sense. Rinokan didn’t see his becoming a Candidate as that final—it wasn’t as though the dragon riders were going to keep him from visiting his family. They might see each other less often when he had chores that would keep him away, and eventually (hopefully) a dragonet that he had to tend to… but fuck, it wasn’t like he was dying.

His mother, who almost never cried, had even been weepy before he’d gotten a-dragonback to leave the newly constructed Hall and go back to the weyr. His brothers hadn’t been much better; though they didn’t cry, Rinokan had known how they felt:  that he was too volatile to Impress, that he’d come back a failure soon enough and resume being a Miner just like the rest of his family was. His father, for his part, had done little more than grip his shoulder and wish him good luck.

None of them, he felt, thought that he’d actually get chosen by a dragon.

But the Search rider had pointed him out for a reason. And as much as he cared for his family, if they didn’t think he’d Impress:  fuck ‘em. He’d prove them wrong.

Now, though, the reality of it all weighed him down. Standing just inside the entrance to the Candidate barracks, Rinokan felt… awkward. An emotion that he hated and tried to push away. With Scoria wound tightly around his neck and shoulders, he glared at those who eyed him curiously. Almost daring them to talk to him.

Unfortunately, he’d probably have to break first and ask them where a spare bed was. He couldn’t just stand there holding his tied-together bundle of belongings forever.

Yet someone actually approached him before he’d given up, while he was still lurking near the doorway chewing on the inside of his cheek. Why was she being so damn cheerful and helpful? Rinokan’s eyes narrowed a bit at first. But he knew some people like that, though Miners and Smiths tended to be a bit rougher around the edges. So she probably just was that nice.

“Yeah, I’m new,” he admitted reluctantly. “Pretty sure I don’t know anyone. And I guess I’m looking for somewhere not already occupied t’ put my things.”

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 02:48:54 AM »
Sionann nodded at his reply. She couldn't remember being that awkward but then again she'd also been fortunate to arrive with a lot of other people who were getting themselves settled in and sorted. It had certainly made things that much easier in being confident about picking out a bed and settling in, everyone had been on the same boat - almost literally in some cases - Sionann didn't often think about the past like that.

It had been hard time for everyone but they were moving ahead. So, that was where she needed to be thinking about, instead of worrying about things she couldn't change.

Actually most of the things she didn't even want to change if she was being perfectly honest with herself "Well first things first, I'm Sionann and we have lots of space. As for the not knowing anyone, well that isn't the case now" she added the last and walked a little closer holding out a hand to offer to take some of this burden. It look overwhelmingly heavy but that was the sort of friendly and genuinely helpful person that she was at the end of the day "...can I help with any of that?" just in case the offer to help hadn't been obvious. After all, not everyone was willing to be so immediately open with someone else.

"Follow me and I'll show you where you get things stowed" she added and turned, whether he let her help or not Sionann would respect either outcome.

Offline Rinokan

• The fuck do you want?
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Scoria
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 05:48:08 AM »
“Nice t’ meet you.” The young ex-Miner might not always be the friendliest of people, but if nothing else his mother had done her best to instill a sense of politeness in him. Whether or not he remembered and made good on it was hit or miss—but Rinokan shrugged internally. This girl seemed nice enough, and he’d no reason to snub her.

And since she’d offered her name, he did so in kind. “I’m Rinokan.” At her question, though, he just shook his head a bit. “I’ve got it, but thanks.”

He’d ended up taking less from the Crafthall than he’d imagined, really. There’d been no reason to take any of the tools that he’d once called his own, at least temporarily; after all, the Mine Hall needed them more than Rinokan would. And if he got assigned chores with those few Miners still left at the Weyr, they’d no doubt have tools for him to use. So he’d brought little more than his clothes, a few scattered belongings, and some small bits of gear that had been for Scoria as a working flit.

Those he’d made himself, as was traditional, so he’d felt justified keeping them.

When the girl—Sionann—turned to lead him, Rinokan readily followed. He’d much rather have something to do, like getting his things sorted, than just standing in one spot feeling the curious looks of the others in the Candidate barracks.

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 11:02:31 AM »
She accepted his refusal, they were his things after all and at least it wasn't nearly as chaotic as it had been when she had been settling in. While not everything could be called sorted it was a whole lot better than it had been before and Sionann at least counted that as a victory for all the hard work that had been put in by one and all - including herself and the other Candidates.

If there was one thing they were definitely good for, it was being around for the heavy lifting end of the spectrum. Not that Sionann minded, it was a lot better than doing nothing. Added to which working together now there was so few only made the best sort of sense - long may that reign! Sionann couldn't imagine what could happen if all the people gathered here didn't manage to get along and build for a new lasting future. She knew it made her idealistic but it wasn't a completely terrible outlook to have.

"Where are you from? If you don't mind answering; I like to meet new people but if I'm stepping on anything personal just tell me to shut up - I won't be offended" she explained, perfectly conscious that her curiosity could tend to grate on people when they weren't used to it and even sometimes when they were.

Rounding a corner, she paused to make sure he was still keeping up with her fairly confident but paced movements so as not to out-distance him too much.

Offline Rinokan

• The fuck do you want?
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Scoria
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 02:52:28 AM »
As always, Rinoken felt the initial flash of annoyance that someone was asking him about himself. It had always been a touchy thing for him, and he wasn’t really sure why; just something about him innately desired privacy, and tended to react in a prickly fashion, even contrarily, when someone started asking probing questions.

So it went against every impulse he had, but he forced those away. He’d already promised himself that he would try to make friends amongst the other Candidates. Well. At least one. And Rinokan didn’t know yet if Sionann would be one, but it wouldn’t be a very auspicious start to this whole thing if he snubbed a probably innocent question.

Especially when she clarified that he could just refuse to answer. Instead, he shrugged one shoulder a bit as he followed her—the one that Scoria wasn’t currently sitting on. The little fucker would just bite him on the ear if he did that. “I was born at Fort Weyr. My family’s mostly miners, and we worked to gather firestone there. Mostly. And other stuff.” Iron, copper, and a few other metals. But primarily things that were useful rather than decorative.

They were a largely practical people.

Belatedly, Rinokan realized that he should probably ask about her in exchange. “You?”

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 07:00:23 AM »
"Tillek originally. Though I was training to be a healer before I was Searched" which at the time had seemed to be all that was important or urgent in her life. Now of course, being a candidate with the possibilities therein was pretty much all she wanted to think about; even moreso than anything else given that the memories of the past were tarnished so much with the loss and pain that had shaped their world into what it had become.

Sionann knew she was supposed to be grateful to be alive and actually she was but sometimes it...was hard to be here when so many other good people were not here. What had made her so worthy? If she even was worthy at all. Sionann was perfectly conscious that she could end up aging out if she wasn't careful and that was not the sort of fate which she wanted to end up suffering. Though at least she could fall back upon the skills she had previously training in - it wouldn't ever be the same.

The conscious play of what if running through her mind but Sionann supposed that she would learn to cope. After all, others had. In the here and now she could concentrate upon the good, such as meeting new people "What's mining like? I mean...I assume it's hard but I've no real idea of what it means to do that sort of work" she explained again, clarifying the answers - one of her particular traits albeit one that commonly seen unless she was nervous or just worried.

In this case both, she wanted Rinokan to feel settled in and welcome and felt a little pressured to do a good job as a result of that desire.

Offline Rinokan

• The fuck do you want?
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Scoria
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 11:53:17 AM »
“Tillek, huh? Do you remember what that was like at all?” Rinokan hadn’t even been born when Tillek fell, so he had a sense of curiosity about what she might recall of the place, if anything. Sionann didn’t seem much older than he did, but some people had remarkable memories for their earlier years. And beyond that, he’d always had a fondness for learning about places that just didn’t exist anymore. It’d have to be an acceptable stand-in for ever getting to visit them even now that they were ruins.

As they walked, Rinokan absently made note of which tunnels and halls lead where. In reality, he had little worry of getting lost; working with his family, learning to distinguish one largely similar tunnel from another had become a particularly useful skill.

Not that the Candidate barracks seemed particularly labyrinthine or difficult to navigate. They seemed largely organized around a central hub rather than broken up into a myriad of isolated branches. All the better for those who rotated in and out to get used to, he supposed.

Scoria licked the tip of his ear, which prompted a shiver, and Rinokan realized she’d asked him another question. “It’s mostly a lot of hauling heavy shit around in the dark, at least for apprentices. There’s been days I haven’t seen the sun at all.” Which didn’t necessarily bother him a huge amount, but being a Candidate—and eventually maybe a dragonrider—would be a huge change of pace. A lot more of the sky, for one thing. “Some of the Journeymen were starting to teach me how to properly excavate tunnels, though. Especially with small explosives.” Something that drew the flicker of a grin from him. Explosives, and fire, were something he could very much get behind.

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »
It had been a while since someone had asked about whether she remembered Tillek "...no, not as much as I think some can. I've got odd images of things from time to time but it's hard to actual pick out the details" she admitted "I think it's because I remember my mother not being there more than a I remember Tillek as an actual home or anything like that" Sionann added, attempting to be positive in spite of the sadness the question had elicited but she had opened up the possibility of those sort of topics coming up.

"Explosives?" she latched onto that thought and turned to look at him properly "...that sounds like it could be a fairly intense thing - I mean, I probably sound scattered saying that" she chuckled.

Sionann had to admit that this was a fairly enjoyable to share these kinds of stories with someone new to the Weyr, at least she hoped that he wasn't finding it terrible to chat with her, Rinokan didn't seem like he wanted to make a run for it though that could end up happening "...you'll spend a lot of time outside while you're here, and inside and cleaning out after herdbeasts and all sorts of other chores" Sionann admitted, wondering how he'd adapt not everyone settled in that easily into the life of being a candidate. 

Offline Rinokan

• The fuck do you want?
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Scoria
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 02:28:38 AM »
The mention of her mother’s absence wasn’t lost on Rinokan, so he was just as eager to move onto the next topic when she asked after it. Awkward or sensitive topics weren’t exactly his strong suit, since he tended to be blunt and rather abrasive. Or so his brothers always aid, and Rinokan wasn’t inclined to disagree. Grumpy as a wher, right?

But Sionann had hit upon one of the few things that he could probably talk about for days. “Nah, it is. Intense, I mean. Better to take it more seriously than not.” Reflectively, he bit the inside of his cheek. “I’m going to miss getting to work with it. But if I do Impress, firestone will still be fun. That’s what we use for the base of a lot of the mining explosives. You can mix it with other things to make certain kinds.”

“Getting to see the sky more’ll be nice,” he admitted. “Though cleaning up after herdbeasts just seems boring. Is that the bulk of the chores we get stuck doing, or…?” Rinokan wouldn’t complain about them, but the idea they’d spend a lot of time doing monotonous things was a bit disappointing. Helping riders tend their dragons would at least be applicable to what they hoped to accomplish.

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 04:45:08 AM »
"No, no...not just chores and things like that. Though you should get used to the idea of knuckling down - but I'm sure you'll cope with that. We also spend time on lessons and learning about becoming riders" she explained, those were the parts of the day that she enjoyed the most but Sionann was confident he would find his own favourite section; even if it just turned out to be lunch.

Sionann chuckled a little "We also get mentors, they might ask for help in bathing and oiling their dragons but it is something you'll have to wait and see about" not everyone liked to be friendly towards their assigned candidate, a few took the few of toughening them up instead "You'll get a robe for the Sands when there is a clutch there and of course be told all about the hows and whys of feeding a baby once they've hatched - do you have a fire lizard?" she asked.

That might help him understand. While a dragon was only like a fire lizard in a limited sense that didn't mean that some analogies couldn't be made. She waited for him to reply, not wanting to overburden him with all the questions and bits and pieces of information all at once.

Offline Rinokan

• The fuck do you want?
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Scoria
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 12:30:58 AM »
“I don’t mind the work.” Chores had never bothered Rinokan. On the contrary, he found hard work satisfying; maybe a mark that he’d been raised by a family of Miners. Or, at the very least, that he knew all his excess energy was better used directed at something useful. Otherwise he just tended to pick fights with his brothers, or other apprentices he’d not gotten along with, and get himself into trouble. He’d have to try to be on his best behavior now that he was a Candidate. People who didn’t know him or his family would be far less likely to put up with his shit.

Only time would tell how long his attempts at behaving would last.

“Being mentored sounds nice.” Though since he was so new, Rinokan doubted that’d happen any time soon. But maybe they’d sometimes get assigned to random riders in order to help oiling their dragons? Especially the big ones. Some of them looked like they’d take all damn day to finish with.

A puff of cold air a few moments back had alerted him to the fact that Scoria had wandered off. No doubt exploring the rest of the tunnels branching out from the central hub of the Candidate barracks and giving someone a fright. But it’d be only natural for the Brown to explore the halls, given that he was trained as a working flit for just that purpose.

“Yeah, though it looks like the little fucker’s disappeared for now. He was given to me when I was apprenticed cause we use ‘em in the mines. They can usually tell before we do when something’s gonna go wrong.”

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 08:42:59 AM »
She was reminded of her own first few days here and how much help she'd received from Saviavi. That had been a long while in the past - at least it felt that way "Well I can promise you hard work; that much is a definite and the mentoring is..." Sionann shrugged "It's a good thing, at least once you get a good mentor. I'm not always sure how much the riders like it. I guess some have to wonder if there is any point" she remarked, Sionann wasn't interested in being dishonest. He'd find out soon enough.

"Well you'll know about that need to feed them after hatching; apparently that is the same when applied to a dragon - just LOTS more" she remarked with a wide grin "...I suppose it is fairly intense, some of the Werylings certainly imply it is that way" without any personal experience Sionann didn't have much to add about it "We also get some of the basics about general care, oiling and everything" it was fun and easy to talk about the way things worked and happened. Almost like paying back from her own early days but she would of course have been happier to no longer be among the candidates anymore but there was nothing else doing for the time being.

So, best to get one with it "That must be helpful! I have a blue called Tavi" she wasn't sure that he was much good for anything except company.

Offline Rinokan

• The fuck do you want?
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Scoria
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 07:13:34 PM »
 “I bet.” Even just Impressing to Scoria had been a markedly unforgettable experience. Having a new mind attached to your own was no small thing, and Rinokan’s family had always made it clear that they shouldn’t be bonded to lightly—no matter how the rest of the people in the weyr might feel about it. Doubly so for a wher, and Rinokan could only imagine just how much more overwhelming it would be to Impress to a dragon. They were people all in their own right, from his understanding.

“He is helpful when he’s not being a son of a bitch.” Truthfully, he had to give the little Brown more credit than that. Most of the time, Scoria was well-behaved toward other people. Just not toward Rinokan. And he wasn’t the sort to shirk whatever task was given to him.

They seemed to have reached one of the rooms with an open bed, so Rinokan gestured to it with his bundle of belongings. “This alright?” And, since he was curious—“How long have you been a Candidate?”

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 10:39:07 PM »
She nodded at him "Aye, you can bunk down there. No one has else has claimed it" while it was probably not the grandest kind of accommodations that didn't make them bad. Hopefully, he wouldn't end up being too prudish about the whole experience, Sionann knew not everyone was comfortable with things like communal bathing and the like but she had adjusted so he probably could as well.

"About two Turns now...though some days it feels like new and others like I've always been here" she was being honest and direct. Sionann knew some who came here believed that Impression happened straight away but that was simply not the case and some of the other candidates had been here longer than she had, she just hoped he wouldn't be one of those who started to get bitter - though it was hard not to be a little bit after a while as the people around you earned themselves dragons and left you standing on the Sands all alone.

That had been hard the first time it had happened and it hadn't actually gotten easier but Sionann had started to find ways of distraction and not thinking about it. That was her way of coping.

Offline Rinokan

• The fuck do you want?
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Scoria
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 02:34:52 PM »
“Good enough for me.” Rinokan didn’t need anything fancy, so the modesty of the Candidate barracks didn’t bother him at all. There was even a personal trunk at the end of the cot, no doubt meant to hold his belongings so they’d not end up scattered all over the communal sleeping space. Flicking back the lid, he set his bundle of personal effects inside. Fortunately, he didn’t come with a lot, so the space inside was ample and then some.

Eying Sionann again, he sat on the edge of the cot. “Two turns, huh? Is that pretty normal?” It didn’t occur to him that asking that might seem insensitive—he was just curious. But if waiting for multiple turns wasn’t out of the ordinary, then it seemed he’d be in for a bit of time as a Candidate, most likely. Rinokan had heard of some riders who Impressed right away, but he already knew that probably wouldn’t be him. After all, he still had one last requirement to take care of before he could Stand for real, and that didn’t seem like the kind of thing to necessarily rush into.

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 11:13:14 PM »
She opened and then closed her mouth again, not really sure of the best way to answer that, or even if there was one at all "I don't know if I'd use normal about it. But...it would be best not to assume you'll Impress the first or even the second" Sionann hadn't found it easier to swallow but she did it. After all, there was nothing else she could do really except go on.

"It can be hard when you see your friends Impress and you're left behind" but that was Sionann and her perspective and Rinokan might not have the same kind of issues with seeing someone else go on to the role of Weyrling with their new companion. In fact, she would wait until he'd actually been on the sands before she drew any conclusions about what he would do in truth. It had been the best way even with those who had been determined that they cope with it all.

Sionann shrugged "We'll see what happens. You could Impress right away, before me even" and that would be another pain but perhaps she still had more to come.

Offline Rinokan

• The fuck do you want?
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Scoria
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »
Watching Sionann as she responded, Rinokan nodded thoughtfully. There were a lot of factors that could influence whether or not someone would Impress—and when—he guessed. Of course, some of those would no doubt be things he would be taught once he actually got to go to classes. But the consensus from everyone he’d talked to so far seemed to be that no one really knew. Beyond the standard and base requirements for being a Candidate, for Standing at all, the choices the dragons made could depend on anything from the weather to Rukbat’s orbit to the tides.

Not that any of those things actually did have a bearing on it at all. But the point was that they were all things Rinokan couldn’t even begin to control, which made him feel fidgety. There was a certain degree of just having to let go, to accept that his fate rested with dragons that hadn’t even hatched yet, rather than his own wishes. All he could choose was whether or not to Stand at all.

“Have you been left behind?” As soon as the words left his mouth, he knew they were wrong, and he made a noise in his throat. “Sorry. I mean, you’ve had friends that have Impressed?”

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 11:40:25 AM »
She stiffened slightly from the absent-minded comment but Sionann allowed him the time to correct it and managed to nod, taking the additional moment to try and find her normal ability to speak and remain pleasant towards other people "...yes, it's happened a few times" Sionann admitted, her voice low and difficult to properly hear "But you learn to manage as best you can. Everyone handles it in their own way" she replied, offering the explanation as a means of making sure that he'd some advice ahead of it happening - especially as it would.

Although he might be one of those who found their partner straight away. She could well be looking at him walking off with his own dragon ahead of her achieving it. That was one of the more bitter experiences that came with being a candidate.

Offline Rinokan

• The fuck do you want?
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Scoria
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 01:11:51 AM »
“How do you handle it?” Again, probably a too-forward question, especially given the fact that Rinokan himself usually disliked being asked personal things. But Sionann didn’t seem particularly opposed to offering information, so he supposed it couldn’t hurt to ask. Distinctly, he disliked being in a position where he didn’t necessarily know yet what he should do nor what to expect; so whatever knowledge or advice he might be able to get out of her, he would gladly take.

After all, there weren’t really Journeymen Candidates that he could ask. A thought which almost made him laugh. No, there definitely weren’t. Weyrlings, maybe, but the metaphor didn’t really extend. Maybe more like Senior Apprentices, which would make Candidates Junior ones.

Anyway, the point was that she was currently a willing source of information, at least for the time. If he stepped too far, or asked anything she didn’t want to answer, Rinokan figured she’d just tell him to fuck off -- more or less.

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 10:04:33 PM »
She shrugged "I tend to dive into helping with the healers; they always need someone to do the menial stuff that needs to get done - and it means I don't have to think about ...well the things that will only make me sad" she paused and shook her head a little "It really depends on the time and place as well. I mean we all gather up afterwards but it can be hard to pretend you're alright, some candidates pair up and retreat to their bunks, others kick about the place and such...a couple of picked fights?" it was all ways to burn off the stress and disappointment.

Sionann didn't know if it was the answer he was actually looking for but it was the one that she had and it was probably stupid. She wanted to help though "...I have Tavi as well, he helps" it wasn't the same as a dragon but the affectionate companion did help soothe some of the ache.

Offline Rinokan

• The fuck do you want?
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Scoria
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
“Guess that makes sense.” Staying busy had long been a strategy of his to keep from getting restless and stupid. At least among his family, Rinokan had something of a reputation for getting himself into trouble when he was bored or too still for too long. So to hear that other Candidates did much the same thing was… familiar? Reassuring? And maybe a bit of a hint toward the future, if it took a while for him to Impress. As much as he wanted to get along with the other Candidates a bit better than he did with his own brothers, Rinokan knew himself well enough to guess that it’d only be a matter of time before he found someone to hate—or even got into a fight with them.

Tilting his head a fraction, he nodded when she mentioned her flit too. “Yeah, they’re good for that. Beyond just being useful too.” Somewhat awkwardly, Rinokan rubbed a hand over the back of his neck. “What color do you wanna Impress?”

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 10:20:48 PM »
While it wasn't the easiest question to answer she couldn't deny it was good to change the subject and concentrate on something else "I guess like anyone you want to aim high, as it sorta feels like you're not ...I don't know thinking the best of yourself? But I don't really know that I would be right on a gold even if another was to hatch -- as for the rest I think a green or even a blue maybe? I don't know about the reds.." and so far she'd not seen any of the blacks impress to a girl so that might not be something that they did "What about you?" she asked.

Sionann didn't want to appear conceited but this was just wide-eyed speculation, solely the sort of thing that you might be dreaming about but it wasn't likely to come to pass.

OOC Recent

[Today at 02:22:47 PM]

[Today at 05:59:14 AM]

[May 21, 2017, 10:57:18 AM]

[May 21, 2017, 05:37:32 AM]

[May 20, 2017, 07:42:52 PM]

[May 20, 2017, 03:49:47 PM]

[May 20, 2017, 03:46:27 PM]

[May 20, 2017, 03:38:00 PM]

[May 20, 2017, 02:11:36 PM]

[May 20, 2017, 10:06:16 AM]

by Kit
[May 20, 2017, 09:23:42 AM]

by Kit
[May 20, 2017, 09:20:55 AM]

[May 20, 2017, 02:04:11 AM]

[May 19, 2017, 07:00:51 PM]

Open Threads

If you have any open threads and you'd like them listed, let us know.
In-Depth Character Prompts - For SOLO Threads

Don'tcha Just Hate It When... - 21.6.2589 x Seaphonellqua

Just Teasing - 1.9.2589 x Nishi

Death by Boredom - 32.10.2589 x Callista

Weyrling Shenanigans - 5.1.2590 x Weyrlings

Sunbaking - 15.1.2590 x W'um

Klah and Long Nights - 23.1.2590 x Isotarïne

Sun and Sarcasm - 13.3.2590 x B'lye

Breakfast Delivery - 15.3.2590 x K'eeda

In the Radiant Sun - 15.3.2590 x T'lor

Three Cheers to Sweet Isolation - 17.3.2590 x Penderton

Napping on a Wher - 18.3.2590 x Sarinea