Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: We have four different themes for the Site, which you can change with a dropdown at the bottom. Named after the different Wings of Southern Wings Weyr : Jungle, Beach, Prairie, and Mountain.

Guest Info Plot & Events

Current Month
4.2590 A.R.
9th Interval

Southern Winds has plotted events roughly every 4 or 5 OOC days. This means our story is ever evolving and Southern Winds is changing. Events for the current month are listed here, once you've registered for an account.

Our roleplay time is pretty fluid. We allow you to play anything that may have happened in the past, but not in the future, as events that may affect the entire weyr may ruin futuristic plots.

We list Flights, Clutches, and Hatchings for both Dragons and Flits here, as well as whers.  There are Candidate events and classes and Crafter plots. A little bit of something for everyone.

See previous events here!
 photo OOCChat_zpseb6e942b.png
Feel free to say hello, guesties! Registered members can request a unique colored name here.

photo voteforus_zps4dda9678.png
Click on the following to place your vote for us. Daily clicks would be fantastic!

Shadowplay Topsites Top RP Sites

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

http://southernwindsweyr.net/Images/news icon copy.png We are a mature, 9th Interval AU Pern. We've destroyed almost the entire planet in a catastrophic event. While we feature 2 new mutations, we stick pretty close to canon. We've Ranks, roles, and positions for just about anyone who wants to get involved, with a relaxed community. Play and post at your own pace. Swing by and say hello!

Registration?
Southern Winds uses a subaccount system to distinguish between Players and their Characters. So REGISTER with your Player Account Name and the admin will assign you your Character Subaccount once your character is approved!

Southern Winds is a Mature Roleplay. This means we allow for sexual, violent content that would be found in a struggling, 9th Interval Pern. Sex is common place in the Weyr and terrible deaths are no stranger here. As such, our players should be 18+. These themes are to be handled maturely at all times.

Regards,
Southern Winds Weyr

Author Topic: Delicate things, with fragile steps [ 30.08.2587 | Afternoon ] (Saviavi)  (Read 862 times)

Offline Sionann

• Be prepared to appreciate what you meet
    • View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Bonded to one firelizard(s)
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
Sionann was sure she'd packed the belt she'd had her last nameday. But...it wasn't in the bundle nor had it found its way into any of the other places it was likely to have ended up, she wouldn't have worried quite so much but it had become strangely important to her that it didn't end up remaining lost. Sionann knew it was foolish and pretty pointless but nonetheless it had stuck in mind and in a spare moment she'd ended up back at her bed rummaging about in what was obviously fairly futile in her efforts to locate it.

"I know I had it; I just know it" she muttered, bending down to kneel on the floor as she peered underneath the bed, just in case. Sionann didn't really believe for one second that it was going to suddenly turn up there but that desire to just check, just in case it might be there was rather hard to shake and so she gave in and stretched her arm out underneath, her fingers seeking any suggestion it was present as her heard pressed firmly against the side of the bed while she worked.

Goodness knew what sort of sight she looked but in any case, Sionann wasn't looking to immediately impress anyone right now. This was all about her own internal need to secure some closure. Even negatively.

Deciding to slide back, Sionann bent under once more and sighed, before she pushed herself back up to her feet, using the bed as a suitable support "Oh! Hello? I ummm, I didn't realise anyone else was here - I'm, I mean I wanted to check my belt hadn't found itself under the bed" she explained, catching sight of someone else and realising that at least some sort of explanation was probably in order rather than just letting her draw all kinds of conclusions at least some of which would doubtless paint her rather foolish.

Not that the truth was really much better "I'm Sionann? I...how are you?" she decided that some attempt to change the subject only made sense. Even if it wasn't going to be possible, depending on the character of this woman.

Offline Saviavi

Re: Delicate things, with fragile steps [ 30.08.2587 | Afternoon ] (Saviavi)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 08:03:23 PM »
The entire weyr was in all states of upheaval these days. As soon as something got settled, someone new arrived or something else happened to shake things back up. Saviavi was no stranger to the turbulence, though, and indeed she revelled in the new faces and activities and all of the things that were being done to get Fort Island Weyr in working order. As a ‘well seasoned’ candidate, she was one of the many running around and making sure they had what supplies they needed to make an effective barracks. Bedding had to be sorted and counted, and each wing and alcove measured for capacity.

Presently, this was what she was doing. The only hang up in her plans was the girl before her, who was reaching beneath a bed and searching for something. It was a comical sight, but not wanting to offend this girl she didn’t yet know, Savi swallowed a giggle. She was caught watching too long, though, and as Sionann noticed her she made a good deal of effort to look like she was going through her charts, tallying items.

An introduction was made, following an explanation. Politely, Vi dipped in a little curtsy that showed off the pleats of her hand-made skirt. “I’m Saviavi, you can hyphenate that however you please.” She knew her name was a mouthful, but she liked it anyway. “You’re a candidate I assume? Welcome, welcome. Excuse the mess, we’ve been trying to get it fixed up in time for everyone to move in.”

“You were looking for your belt? Have you checked the communal pile? If it fell out somewhere, it might’ve been tossed in.” The communal pile was a bit of a depressing subject. It was mostly clothing and personal artifacts from weyrfolk that had perished in the past Turns, or even during the move with all of the confusion. Savi herself was a fan of it, finding a repurposing items was a personal joy for her. “If you can’t find it, though, I’ve got a ton. You can have one if you want, or a couple. It’s kind of my thing, I make them more than I use them.”

Saviavi pinned a silly grin to her face and offered Sionann a hand, intending to guide her out of the room and toward the destination of clothes.

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 01:59:36 AM »
Apparently she had managed to avoid ending up looking to much like the complete fool which she was feeling right now, it was comforting and Sionann found easy and straightforward to return the rather goofy smile that other woman was offering.

"Really a communal pile? I didn't realise we had one of those; it makes sense. I mean...that sounds like a plan and a good one at that - thanks though for the offer. I just hope it's not..." she sighed, and shook her head slowly, not certain that admitting the emotional attachment to the belt wasn't going to end up sounding like a special kind of stupid.

Sionann could only hope that as much as she had managed to avoid it before that it would remain just the same once she opened up "I'm Sionann by the way, and silly as it sounds I...I'd like to hope my belt turns up. I know it's a small thing and your offer is kind but I would really like to think it will turn up" Sionann sighed again, not sure that it would make sense even when she had spoke it out loud.

Taking the hand that had been offered Sionann was more than happy to be led to the right place, given that she hadn't known about the pile it would be more than easy for her to end up getting lost or just turned around. That could happen to just about anyone now, this was after all still very much a work in progress when it came to the rooms that had been made the shelter which they provided as a result.

Offline Saviavi

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 07:37:28 PM »
She wasn’t too sure what the motive was behind Sionann’s need to find this particular belt, but she could guess. There were many folk like her showing up, feeling a little lost, and wanting to cling to whatever vestiges remained of their old life back at Fort. Savi, of course, wasn’t of this mindset, as far as she was concerned this island was her hard earned reward after less than savory beginnings. Vi didn’t chastise Sionann, though, everyone took a while to adjust.

“You might find something else you need even if the belt isn’t there. There’s clothing appropriate for Standing, I’m not sure yet if enough has been distributed with the move so you can never be too safe. There’s also jewellry, and amazing things that belonged to some of the higher up Holders.” Okay, in truth, Saviavi had just needed an excuse to go there herself. But she was still helping, right?

Grasping her hand with a firm, determined grip, Vi marched them out of the rooms and into the central area of the barracks. She was on a mission, and wasting time didn’t do anyone any good. “Here we are!” Only when they were in front of the pile did she let Sionann’s hand go. Vi herself waited to let the other girl check first, not wanting to look too eager to dive into the pile herself.

Still wanting to be supportive, she’d add, “I could also teach you to make a belt, if you don’t like charity. It’s pretty basic, so long as you know what you want to make it out of. Leather’s in short order, most of that’s scooped up for the riders, but we could get lucky.” She could talk about clothes for days, really.

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 03:42:03 AM »
The other woman was obviously very much the whole take charge sort of person. Which was why but Sionann actually skipped slightly in an effort to avoid falling over given the speed and determined movement to this communal pile - was it in fact about to vanish? Sionann was almost tempted to come right out and ask but instead she bit her lop and concentrated on not falling flat on her face or just tripping up.

"Well...I really just want the belt but I suppose checking out the items makes sense. I'll need other things - for the future and yes, to Stand..." it was still strange to think along those lines; she was getting better though at not thinking about the past and the trouble. Instead Sionann wanted to believe in spending time on the future and what the possibilities were that lay ahead of her; after all as bad as things had become now she could think about good stuff happening like Impressing a Dragon? Which wouldn't be now but the mention of Standing had reminded Sionann that it could happen.

Even if making sure it did was out of her hands.

Sionann bent down and started to rummage "Actually it's made from fabric scraps - have you ever made one like that?" she asked, looking over at her companion "And...thank you for this - I mean, I appreciate it. I'm not sure I want to purloin or borrow leather if it can be used for something more important. It's only one belt after all" she admitted, it seemed silly to be fixated at all.

"I used to try and add little touches and...but the fabric ones are about braiding really. Nothing at all special about that" she tugged on the pile, attempting to pull away some of the larger things that were in her way when it came to the searching for her own belt.

Offline Saviavi

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »
With Sionann mentioning she did, in fact, still need the traditional candidate garments, Vi made this her current goal to address. The white robes were kept separate from the pile, in a neater fashion that made them easier to get to. Saviavi grabbed what looked to be the right size, tutting over the bland material. A pair of thick soled boots followed, Vi herself had worn sandals her first Standing and she still had the scars from the blisters. Boots were still allowed, and much more sensible and versatile in weyr life.

That sorted, the girl returned to Sionann’s side as she mentioned the material her belt was made from. Fabric scraps? Internally, she groaned, she could only imagine the headache a various colored, patterned, and textured belt like that would cause when trying to pair it with any other piece of clothing. She shook her head, albeit a bit sadly, “I’m afraid I haven’t ventured down that route of belt-making. It sounds fairly simple, though, surely it’d be an easy thing to recreate.”

Vi set her gathered candidate’s things aside in a safe corner where they wouldn’t get covered in clutter. With Sionann beginning to sort the larger objects, she assisted. There were tattered bags in here, falling apart boots, things of no real value that only a skilled seamstress could make something out of. It looked like the pile had seen better days, but really it just needed a good sorting for them to get to the goods.

Saviavi began to stack the unrepairable things off to one side. “I think I’ll try to let the weavers know about this junk, it’s just wasting space here and no one else is going to want it. We could probably cut some of it up if you think any of the material is any good for what you want.. But otherwise this is a lost cause.”

“Belt aside, though, how are you adjusting? Candidacy can be a bit of a whirlwind of information at first.” Vi remembered, with clarity, the day she’d been Searched. It was both the best and most terrifying day of her life, it was the first time she’d been on dragonback and the first time she’d experienced between. It had set the tone for a whole lot of first-time-things, too. She grinned a little, despite herself.

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 11:56:05 PM »
She hadn't expected such a wealth of help in sorting out the right clothes to wear, it was touching and sweet as much as it was a surprise. Sionann wasn't sure that this was actually a good indication of the other candidates but she was hoping that it could be relied upon...just a little. It would be nice to think that they could all manage to get along well enough with one another that any in-fighting or arguments could be kept to a minimum. Sionann didn't expect there to be none at all of course...

That would just be a different kind of madness "It would, but it's the one I made I'd like back...stupid as that actually is" and it was stupid but it was the sentimental attachment that mattered right now not the actual practicality of replacing it or even just acquiring a new one one "...I really appreciate all of your help in this. It's been, well unexpected I guess" Sionann hoped it didn't make her sound any less grateful for the assistance that had been lent on her behalf by this friendly young woman.

Sitting back on her own thighs she sighed "I don't know. I mean I guess I'm getting used to the way it all works but it doesn't feel like home" did it make her sound terrible or just more honest than some others would have been comfortable in revealing so soon after meeting a new person but Sionann had always been terribly honest with others and that wasn't about to change any time in the near future no matter what else happened or changed "...I doubtless sound very ungrateful for speaking like way, right..." she shrugged and then gasped as her eyes lit on something in the pile.

"This is it...!" it was clearly handmade and more than a little frayed around the edged but the way Sionann smiled indicated how happy she was to have found it at all. She checked along the braided length of it "...and yes, we could tell them together if you like? Well if you want some company I mean" the offer made now that she was feeling far more settled and pleased about everything than she had before.

Offline Saviavi

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 06:29:24 PM »
Saviavi understood Sionann’s situation if only because she’d seen many a candidate come with the same uncertainty. Even if it sucked at first, it was more or less normal. She was curious now, though, of where the other girl had been previously. She didn’t quite have the delicate, woe-is-me disposition of most Hold girls, so it seemed likely that Sionann had been an apprentice for some craft or the other. Vi wasn’t quite sure how to ask that yet without sounding… elitist? Yes, she decided, she’d wait out this introduction a little longer before digging too far into personal histories.

She instead sat back and watched, in a rare moment of silence, as Sionann continued her search. Certainly she continued to assist here and there, taking discarded things and putting them into an appropriate place, but Savi knew the value of being a good listener. And sometimes, that’s all you really had to be in order to make someone feel better.

Things always had a way of working out. Today was no different. Watching the other candidate as she was, Vi was elated to see the swift change of expression and demeanor when the belt was finally found. She joined in her joy, pushing herself up from the table she’d been leaning against and taking it a step further, wrapping Sionann in a quick hug. The contact was short lived, she wasn’t trying to make anyone uncomfortable, but nonetheless her expression remained cheesy and excited.

The belt didn’t look any more special than the other items they’d gone through, but the well-worn nature of the material gave it a meaningful history. Saviavi nodded, mostly to herself, in accepting this unique bit of clothing as something she had misjudged the value on. “Well, this is as good a start as any to get this place feeling more of a home for you.”

“We can go find the weavers in a bit, first I want to do a bit of my own reconnaissance.” She meant, of course, that she was going to finally dive in to the glory of the communal pile. “So you’ve got your belt and your traditional robes, but those won’t really work in your day to day chores unless you don’t mind getting them dirty. There’s all sorts of unfavorable things we get assigned. However, you don’t need to look bad, either.”

Savi began to pull out whatever soft material she could find, whether it was scraps or an already made clothing piece. Feeling this was a good excuse for sharing, in hopes of receiving, she added on, “I was raised by a family in the Weaver craft before I was Searched. I never cared to seriously pursue it, obviously, but it’s a fun hobby to pass the time with.”

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 10:15:53 PM »
While sentiment and gentle emotions weren't really the sort of thing that had been able to be encouraged during the panic and uncertainty of the last few months with all of the issues that had resulted at the end of the ninth pass...Sionann hoped she never had to see anything like it again and perhaps in a small way, the recovery of this small item was a positive sign for the future. It might be a little superstitious of her to have such feelings and thoughts; which explained why she didn't share it with her companion.

"I'm not sure it will feel exactly like home; but I know what you mean. And at least I'm here to have the opportunity to actually try" she replied, not wanting to sound like she being foolish or ungrateful.

Both weren't the sort of thing she wanted anyone to think about her but at the same time Sionann also didn't want to be someone else or other than she'd been before being Searched and all the rest had happened as well. These were the things that had shaped her and they would continue to affect her for some time to come "What do you mean? What would we be asked to do?" she wasn't worried about hard or dirty work; she'd had to clean up in the past but that didn't mean asking about what to expect was a bad idea. At least then she could be moderately prepared.

"I've never really done drudge work, I was in the healer hall..." she explained "So, I've experience there" not that she thought that what was being created here was anything like that, not yet. In time, that could well change but Sionann was no longer an Apprentice, so she wouldn't be seeing it as anything other than an observer "What would you recommend as more clothing?" Sionann looked at the pile and then back at the other woman as she waited for the answer.

Offline Saviavi

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 07:11:50 PM »
She knew there was little more that could be said to convince Sionann that time would heal the gaps that her soul felt in this new weyr. She put that topic away, but wouldn’t forget about it. The candidate had a way of mother-birding the new waifs and strays and she’d certainly keep an eye out for Sionann as things progressed. Vi liked this girl, albeit she liked most people, but she could see a kindness and an intelligence in her that wasn’t so commonplace anymore. Tough times hardened the best people, through no fault of their own, but then there were the gems like Sionann that weathered the storm and came out in better shape.

Saviavi’s goal wasn’t to scare her fellow candidate, though. With Sionann seemingly assuming the worst of what she’d said about dirty work, Vi quickly shook her head. “It’s nothing awful, we just fill in the gaps that exist with the trade halls being short handed.”

Hearing she was a healer, Saviavi grinned. That seemed suitable to her nature, and it was certainly respectable. “If you have healing background they will probably have you spend most of your time in the ward, when it’s needed. With my sewing knowledge I get to repair a lot of the leathers, for instance, but you’re far more valuable with your training.” She sighed a little, perhaps envious, and added, “I think if Impression doesn’t work out for me I’d like to learn to be a dragon healer, that way I can still work with the wonderful creatures even if I never get one of my own.”

Vi began to go through the pile again with earnest. Her own collection grew only slightly, but she seemed mostly intent on getting everything put in an appropriate place. “It’s usually very warm here, but you’ll still want sun protection. Something like.. Ah, this!” Her hand plucked a wide brimmed hat out, likely it’d belonged to a farmer. “I’ve got a few headscarves to keep the sun off my scalp, but this is good, too if you’re stuck with outside chores.”

With only a week under her belt here at the island, Saviavi was still looking her natural pale-skinned way. “The healers are trying to make a salve here out of what ingredients are available, kind of a sun-balm, I guess. I’ve been testing out a few versions without much luck, I’m sure I’ll get burnt eventually but, what can you do?” Her thin shoulders rolled in a shrug, but she placed the hat onto Sionann’s pile nonetheless.

“End of the Turn Gather will be soon, too. I’ve a few dresses I’ve been trying to decide on.” She said this proudly. “I don’t know how they’re going to pull it off in time, but you never know.”

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 05:22:21 AM »
While she had barely met this Saviavi she couldn't deny that it was fairly certain that they could end up becoming friends. Sionann had always warmed quickly to people, at least those that she wanted to like or could like and given all their current interactions Sionann saw absolutely no reason why that wouldn't be the case at all. It was a lessening of the tension which she had felt, unexpected and surprising but no less immediately welcome for that being the case.

"I don't mind helping out. I was just a little...worried that I'd end up having to do things that I'm really no good at - you know?" it had been nerves and the shock of needing to adjust to so many changes and all at once. Honestly, Sionann felt more and more like her head was spinning about on the top of her head and nearly set into flying right off "...but I can't really complain if you really think I'm going to be able to spend time with the other healers - even if I'm not going down that path now. I mean; I still could but perhaps you'll get that chance. If you like I can talk about some of what I learned?" it was an offer made in kindnes and nothing else. Sionann wouldn't give her information that would dangerous but it would be nice to share something that had been the focus on her life and was still important to her as well.

Sionann could understand the logic of everyone pitching in and helping out, it made sense "I didn't know a Gather was planned and as cliche as it sounds I've nothing else to wear..." she glanced at the pile they'd put together. Well mostly Saviavi really and there was little else.

"...I guess I could get some bits and pieces together" she suggested. Actually it might be good to work on a side project to help take her mind off her worries and the general concerns that existed in respect of what the future held for any of them.

Offline Saviavi

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 06:40:50 PM »
Sionann’s concerns earned a sympathetic look from Savi. It seemed a habit of most the weyr residents to try their very best to be as beneficial to the community at they could be. They had to be that way. They had only the future to look to, and work toward. “They won’t toss you into something you aren’t comfortable with without letting you learn first. That is assuming, of course, they even let you stray from the healer hall.” The island was still largely a mystery, but with all of the construction happening there was bound to be work related injuries.

Her fellow candidates offer to teach her was met with an enthused grin. “That’d be fun, I think.” She motioned to the cloth bits Sionann had gathered, and added, “We can trade knowledge. I can help you make something suitable for a gather and you can lecture me in the ways of healing.” They still had a few months left, that should be plenty of time.

She looked over what all they’d pulled for their personal use. Dresses were the traditional garb for such grand occasions, and she wasn’t sure there was enough material here for something appropriately modest. Vi sucked her lip, thinking. “I think we might be able to trade some of this junk for a good bit of cloth for the base of a dress, and then we can add some of this to it to bring it together. What’s your favorite color?”

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »
"Well, it only seems fair. I mean you're helping me and besides the more knowledge is known...that has to be pretty beneficial for everyone" Sionann would still take care not to reveal anything potentially harmful. Sometimes healing was a matter of a fine balance. One of the many lessons that she'd learned as an apprentice "...do you think so? I'm not sure what I'd make; I've never made a whole outfit before now" Sionann figured that admitting it was sensible.

After all, Saviavi seemed like the sort who wouldn't hold it against her "I guess blue and I like yellows as well" she answered after a brief thought on the matter "What about you?" Sionann asked.

Offline Saviavi

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 05:13:33 PM »
With their plan set in motion for the next two months, Saviavi grinned. She felt oddly accomplished today, even though the tasks she’d set to had been so simple. Still, the girl felt this was a good start to a new life full of possibilities.

Her own goal was much easier to visualize and she nearly skipped over to Sionann’s side, offering a few shades of blue cloth for her to look over. “Dresses are much easier than multiple pieces, it’s really just one big bit of cloth with the sides tucked in here and there.” She smoothed her swatches out, laying them side by side for better comparison. “Blue and yellow compliment eachother well, so we’re in luck there, you’ll just have to decide if you want something more playful and pastel or a deeper tone.” Saviavi waggled her eyebrows in an exaggerated way, “And then, of course, how much you want to cover.”

She left the pieces beside Sionann and then went to find different yellows. “I’m a fan of all colors, really, I can’t say I have a favorite as long as it’s something bright.” She tugged on a lock of red hair, pausing for a moment to give it a little more thought. “If I had to choose, though, green is good.”

Having collected the yellows, she brought them to pair beside the blues. “We could do a combination of these if you want, or just one solid piece wouldn’t be bad either.” Chances were they’d have to sew a couple of things together to make a big enough piece of material for a whole dress, but that was fine. Alternatively, it was possible they could match SIonann’s preferred shade with an actual long piece of fabric from the weavers if they were lucky.

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 10:57:01 AM »
Sionann nodded along with her statements regarding the colours and some of the things they could do with them, although she flushed a little with respect towards the mention of how much she wanted to cover "I don't usually spend a lot of time thinking about the style, my parents ...well, they always suggested strongly what would be the best look" she admitted. Sionann wasn't sure she wanted to go into the details about the restrictions that her parents had placed upon her for the majority of her life.

"What about you, how do you normally wear your clothes? I wouldn't mind seeing and trying out something different" Sionann really hoped that she didn't sound stupid or pathetic.

Though it was really "Would you like to maybe spend sometime working up more than one look, we can mix and match, that sort of thing? If you have the time" it was likely that they would have a fair amount of time to work on these items and honestly if it worked out then it would be possible for them to have a decent collection that they could chose for other occasions.

Offline Saviavi

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 06:55:50 PM »
The girl was fully in her element. So invested she perhaps didn’t quite realize that she may have lost Sionann’s attention somewhere along her demented path of fashion. The other girl was a sort of captive to Savi’s own madness. Maybe stockholm syndrome would bring them closer together?

Saviavi began to lay out a patchwork of a few different, albeit simple, dress types. The rags she used were just to demonstrate style, but she was careful nonetheless in how they were arranged. “Parents can be uptight about that,” she said this with a small measure of sadness. Pushing through it, Vi added, “But here they won’t have much say. You’re an adult, you can make your own decisions, and you have dragonriders now to back you.”

“Like I said though, it gets hot here.” She motioned to her current garb, consisting of a cut off top that showed most of her belly and back and her skirt that looked more like a flimsily wrapped bit of muslin. “The caverns can be cool but most days we’re not so lucky. There’s no need for modesty, really, someone is going to see you naked eventually.” She grinned widely.

She finalized the thrown-together looks. “I’ve been told I don’t dress very practical so it probably isn’t the best idea to mirror what I do. Still, it doesn’t matter much for the Gather so you can go as crazy as you see fit.” She pointed to the first choice, which was the most modest, “This is a style a lot of the Holders go for. Elegant, simple, they usually wear boring colors though so I think you could still pull it off with your color choice and not be labelled dull.”

The next two examples were missing a few spots where skin was meant to be exposed. “This’ll get you noticed more, but you won’t be screaming for a tumble then and there, y’know? It er, hints? I suppose. Still something left to the imagination but enough to entice.”

The final ensemble was something that Saviavi herself would likely wear. It was more bathing suit than dress. “This, of course, will earn you a spot in a suitor’s bed, guaranteed. I like to add tassels and beading, makes it more artistic and less desperate,” Vi licked her lips and laughed a little. “It’d definitely be the easiest thing to make, though, less fabric to worry about.”

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 11:19:23 PM »
Well the less fabric comment was certainly true, a stiff breeze could easily render the material absent at least from the position Sionann was looking at as she attempted to picture it on her body. While neither prude or virgin it was a little beyond what she was really comfortable with the idea of wearing "Something more in-between; even if I'm not under my parents thumb I'd prefer a touch more fabric between me and the world" if only so she could turn someone down without them pointing out she'd dressed like she was desperate or something.

"Are tumbles common then?" Sionann had experienced it exactly once, well twice, with the fallout being a beating and lecture from her father about ruining things. Were candidates so much freer, there had been suggestions of it when she joined and O'sir had explained the rules and such to her but it had been a lot to process and a whole lot else had been going on as well.

Asking for some clarification seemed to make sense "Sorry you don't need to tell me" she wondered then about asking but Saviavi had spoken very casually about it all.

Offline Saviavi

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »
With the other girl’s choice, Saviavi quickly swept up the other designs. She salvaged what bits she could and then put the rest back as Sionann explained her reasoning. Vi nodded thoughtfully, but neither agreed nor disagreed. With holders, crafters and riders all living in one space together it had created a sort of struggle to find some middle ground between cultures.

It was natural, too, for folk raised more modestly to be curious about the more physical side of rider life. Sionann’s question was worded so innocently it made Vi laugh again. She wasn’t offended, and she put a hand on the other candidate’s shoulder to steady her worry. “They can be common if you want them to be, sure.”

“My personal experience is that most of the boys are pretty eager to prove themselves capable of handling women- don’t ask me why, I wouldn’t know where to begin. Also means some of them are pretty lousy at it, they care more about marking off another conquest than actually making you feel good.” The hand on Sionann’s shoulder retracted, balling into a small fist with one finger extended so she could poke at her arm. “The riders have the real skill, if you feel so inclined.”

On that note she brought her arm down so she could pick at the chosen dress design a little more. “Keep this pictured in your head and we can head to the weavers.” Saviavi plucked up a few of the items she was bringing for barter and waited for Sionann to join her.

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 02:14:54 AM »
Well she had wanted an answer and she'd gotten what appeared to be an honest one. Sionann knew her skin was colouring slightly but that didn't mean she was embarrassed it had more to do with the suggestions about who to tumble as well as the fact it wasn't about to be frowned upon.

"I think I'll avoid anything to obvious, while my parents aren't going to be looking over my shoulder I really don't want a shouting match or something...even if I am an adult" that seemed to be a fact that they had either missed or else wanted to avoid outright. Sionann wouldn't put too much on the bad side of them either; they were generally acting from worry - she could understand that, especially after everything that had happened "And do you prefer the riders then?" it seemed safe to ask, given that Saviavi hadn't troubled her with any appearance of being upset or worried with some probing or possibly personal questions about her and the life here.

She gathered up the bits and pieces she was going to need "Got it all; thanks again for this" she added and smiled at her companion. It was good to have someone she could hang out with and just relate to without too much effort. 

Offline Saviavi

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 06:07:27 PM »
Saviavi spun in a giddy circle, nodding and laughing. “They’re a little harder to pin down, though. Our chores take up time but all they do is drills and labor for the weyr. Your best bet is to be around when there’s a Green or Gold flight, the losers aren’t too picky about who they bed and sometimes they’re nice enough in the morning to keep you in mind in the future.”

When Sionann thanked her, Vi simply shrugged. “Everyone has to pitch in to get this place going.”

She didn’t say much more on the way to the makeshift weaver hall. In reality, it was just a small cavern with a few adjoining caves to act as sleeping quarters and offices. This place was in a little less disarray, the crafters had been here longer than the unskilled weyrfolk and it reflected through the organization.

Saviavi found an apprentice and asked if they’d fetch a journeyman or someone of more authority to negotiate a trade. While they left, she turned back to Sionann. “You can look around if you want, I’m not sure how long it’ll be. The good cloth is here, there’s higher quality stuff but I don’t think they’ll let us have that.”

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 12:16:34 AM »
"Everyone does but not everyone will; so it's good that you are showing people the way forwards" Sionann replied. She didn't want to sound like she was being pompous or anything like that but rather how sincerely she felt that Saviavi was a seemingly good woman - at least as far as first impressions went.

Sionann definitely intended to do what she could, even it resulted in problems for her later on given some of the views that her parents and family had concerning certain subjects. It would be well worth it though. At least she wanted to believe it would be. Especially when she was a dragonrider; Sionann might not be ready to talk about what she dreamed of achieving at the end of her time as a candidate.

Although she understood that it didn't always end up working out that way, even when you wanted it to but she wouldn't let that trouble her, not here and now.

"I doubt it, not that I need it either. I mean I'm sure there is more things it can be used for which are more important than a Gather dress" she didn't resist the opportunity to wander though and started to browse the available materials "Do you come down here a lot then? You seem to know your way around" a suggestion of admiration in her voice as she asked.

Offline Saviavi

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 04:32:58 PM »
Saviavi flitted over toward the cloth in Sionann’s wake. She was like a nesting queen firelizard, poking here and there for the perfect place to clutch. She hadn’t been down here for longer than a few minutes before, and it was always for an errand, so she was taking full advantage of the opportunity. Her thin fingers rifled through the bolts of cloth, her expression changing with each new bundle. “I haven’t been down here lately,” she confessed. “But at the old hold the weaverhall was like a second home.”

She was delighted to find not much had changed in the way of organization since the move, too. The cave might be new but everything was in an appropriate place.

Vi pointed to a few different patterned bolts, blues and yellows. “I think these will match what we found if you like them.” She didn’t pull from out of their rack, though, not wanting to overstep any boundaries. Besides, the few apprentices lingering in the room were eyeing her with suspicion.

“When we’re done here we should return to the barracks, though. Afternoon classes should be starting up soon and I can’t miss another lesson.” Savi chewed the inside of her cheek. She hadn’t really meant for this ‘welcome to the weyr’ to spiral in its current direction. Poor Sionann probably had more questions about what she needed to do and here they were, planning a dress instead.

She straightened her shoulders and stepped back from the material. “Was there anything else you wanted to know? Candidate wise, I mean.”

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 10:36:56 AM »
She did. But that didn't stop her from being both fascinated and distracted by the way Saviavi was flittering about the place; it made her smile in an absent way to see someone so clearly involved and happy. It had been a long time since Sionann had seen someone who was so able to just be, without worries or the concerns about what was happening or what else could end up going wrong.

No, this was probably the very best kind of welcome that Sionann could ever have had and as a result she wanted to hold onto it as long as possible. As usual though life intruded and reminded her that she needed to think about the why behind it all.

After all Sionann was a candidate as well. So, she needed to be thinking about that and not necessarily about the possible good that lay ahead of them now that things appeared to at least have settled enough for them to draw a breath again "Lessons? What are they like? I mean..." she paused and flushed just a little bit.

Sionann probably sounded more than a little daft "...who takes them? Do we get to spend time with dragons and the riders? What do we have to bring - do I have to bring anything?" she fired off a whole series of questions and had to pause to draw breath.

Offline Saviavi

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 04:33:46 PM »
She studied Sionann’s expression closely as she replied. The older girl had easily won over Savi’s affections, she was just the right amount of polite and curious with a hint of a playful side that Vi knew she’d try to goad out one day. She didn’t blanche at Savi’s lifestyle but she also wasn’t so eager to embrace rider life as to appear desperate for sex and sex alone. It was a good balance, she decided.

“Lessons are taught by O’sir, the candidate master and his Brown dragon Saibrasoth. He’s a very fair man,” and sometimes drunk, but she didn’t think it prudent to add that. “Lessons can be anything, really. A lot of it is weyr etiquette, learning to recognize shoulder knots and the ranks they represent, behavior expected of you during a Hatching and so forth.” Saviavi herself had been a candidate long enough to have listened to a few repeated lessons, it was just natural whenever there was a new group of kids added, but she wasn’t bitter about it.

“Most of it is practical work, though. We help the riders oil their dragons sometimes, or learn to secure riding leathers and then clean them, too. No doubt there will be new information about this island, so that’s something to look forward to, also.” She shrugged, “It isn’t as structured as a formal crafthall’s apprenticeship is, but I like it better that way.”

Saviavi rocked back on her heels, distracting herself for a moment so she wouldn’t fidget again with the cloth. “And you don’t need to bring anything unless you want. Some folk like to take notes with slate and chalk but that just seems messy. If you have a decent memory you’ll be able to get by easily.”

With how life currently was, though, there wasn’t much time for oral tradition or ballad reciting- that was left to the harpers these days. Candidates, beyond the basic knowledge of what was expected of them, we just a different brand of labor, really. That felt too discouraging for her to say, though, especially with Sionann already worried about chores.

Offline Sionann

• View Profile

• She/Her/Hers
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Tavi
  • Wren
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 11:52:03 PM »
That would be an adjustment, Sionann had liked the order and structure which had been part of her time in the Healer Hall. In the wake of so much change it had been a solid and constant source of stability.

Sionann nodded though; it would be something of an adjustment but she supposed that it would be one she learned to make. After all, she didn't have any other choice really. It was change or fail and Sionann wasn't going to fail - she would learn her lessons here and eventually Impress a dragon; that was why she'd been picked in the first place after all.

Right? The slight uncertainty showed something of her doubt but nothing that Sionann would choose to voice out loud. At least not yet.

"What is he like? O'sir...is he a good teacher?" she asked, curious about this man she'd not met. Some of her teachers had been good and others bad but Sionann had learned from them all; even it had been about what not to do. Which could be as important a lesson as any of the more formal or structured ones "I'd prefer to rely on my memory than slate - to easy to write something down in error or to lose it" the last thing she wanted to happen. Forget or miss or lose an important teaching and somehow be unacceptable or a failure...not a comforting thought. 

OOC Recent

[May 25, 2017, 02:29:06 AM]

[May 24, 2017, 07:47:05 PM]

[May 24, 2017, 10:15:58 AM]

[May 23, 2017, 06:51:43 AM]

[May 22, 2017, 11:54:03 PM]

[May 22, 2017, 02:22:47 PM]

[May 22, 2017, 05:59:14 AM]

[May 21, 2017, 10:57:18 AM]

[May 21, 2017, 05:37:32 AM]

[May 20, 2017, 07:42:52 PM]

[May 20, 2017, 03:49:47 PM]

[May 20, 2017, 03:46:27 PM]

[May 20, 2017, 03:38:00 PM]

[May 20, 2017, 02:11:36 PM]

[May 20, 2017, 10:06:16 AM]

Open Threads

If you have any open threads and you'd like them listed, let us know.
In-Depth Character Prompts - For SOLO Threads

Don'tcha Just Hate It When... - 21.6.2589 x Seaphonellqua

Just Teasing - 1.9.2589 x Nishi

Death by Boredom - 32.10.2589 x Callista

Weyrling Shenanigans - 5.1.2590 x Weyrlings

Sunbaking - 15.1.2590 x W'um

Klah and Long Nights - 23.1.2590 x Isotarïne

Sun and Sarcasm - 13.3.2590 x B'lye

Breakfast Delivery - 15.3.2590 x K'eeda

In the Radiant Sun - 15.3.2590 x T'lor

Three Cheers to Sweet Isolation - 17.3.2590 x Penderton

Napping on a Wher - 18.3.2590 x Sarinea