Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Most of the site is visible to guests, though we do have a Member's Only forum and an IC Cbox that becomes available once you join!

Guest Info Plot & Events

Current Month
8.2590 A.R.
9th Interval

Southern Winds has plotted events roughly every 4 or 5 OOC days. This means our story is ever evolving and Southern Winds is changing. Events for the current month are listed here, once you've registered for an account.

Our roleplay time is pretty fluid. We allow you to play anything that may have happened in the past, but not in the future, as events that may affect the entire weyr may ruin futuristic plots.

We list Flights, Clutches, and Hatchings for both Dragons and Flits here, as well as whers.  There are Candidate events and classes and Crafter plots. A little bit of something for everyone.

See previous events here!
 photo OOCChat_zpseb6e942b.png
Feel free to say hello, guesties! Registered members can request a unique colored name here.

photo voteforus_zps4dda9678.png
Click on the following to place your vote for us. Daily clicks would be fantastic!

Shadowplay Topsites Top RP Sites

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

http://southernwindsweyr.net/Images/news icon copy.png We are a mature, 9th Interval AU Pern. We've destroyed almost the entire planet in a catastrophic event. While we feature 2 new mutations, we stick pretty close to canon. We've Ranks, roles, and positions for just about anyone who wants to get involved, with a relaxed community. Play and post at your own pace. Swing by and say hello!

Registration?
Southern Winds uses a subaccount system to distinguish between Players and their Characters. So REGISTER with your Player Account Name and the admin will assign you your Character Subaccount once your character is approved!

Southern Winds is a Mature Roleplay. This means we allow for sexual, violent content that would be found in a struggling, 9th Interval Pern. Sex is common place in the Weyr and terrible deaths are no stranger here. As such, our players should be 18+. These themes are to be handled maturely at all times.

Regards,
Southern Winds Weyr

Author Topic: Coryza [ 20.3.2590 / 9am] Open  (Read 670 times)

Offline Vanelwynne

• View Profile
  • turns old
  • gold-rider.png
  • of Oriath
  • Bonded to four firelizard(s)
  • Orila, Darr, Toer, Thil
  • Aster
Coryza [ 20.3.2590 / 9am] Open
« on: January 24, 2017, 06:22:04 AM »
It was late for Vanelwynne to be heading to a meal table; if she took her meals in public at all, which she normally did but hadn't done for the last couple of days, it was generally much earlier than this. Coming in so long after the day had begun wasn't like her, but on second glance not much else about her presentation was like her either.

She didn't have much of a breakfast, just a couple of pieces of toast and a mug of unsweetened tea of some sort as large as her head. There was a thick knit jacket wrapped around her and covering her head, and her face was reddened, eyes swollen and lids halfway closed. Her elegant presence was more of a miserable one, finding a seat at an unoccupied table and wrapping herself around that mug -- inhaling the steam for a good minute or two before taking a sip of the tea.

It took another three minutes, just about, to take a slow bite of the toast that took her a while to chew and swallow.

Two firelizards (one gold, one blue) sat at the table, watching her, tails twitching; protective, or just concerned. Oriath, on the other hand, kept all her fussing internal -- out in the bowl there was no sign that the queen was distressed unless one were to inquire directly. She wasn't distressed, exactly, so much as fussy and just worried enough. But really, Wynne, it was just a cold ...

Vanelwynne did a decent enough job of pretending she was okay when spoken to, but she looked a pathetic shadow of herself.

One miserable weyrwoman, inhabiting a table, alone; certainly inhabiting the picture of misery.

Spoiler for OOC:
It seemed prudent to set this idea, when it just smacked me in the face on my way out to work (so I risked missing a train and posted it!), BEFORE the riot. Anyone who wants to come be nice to her, or possibly make fun of her if you're of enough authority to take the risk, welcome ...

Signature by Wren
Powerplay by Inki/B'ron allowed

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
  • Won't someone sweep me off my feet?
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • Bonded to three firelizard(s)
  • Sparrow, Heron, & Skycourser
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
Re: Coryza [ 20.3.2590 / 9am] Open
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 12:12:21 AM »
Officially, Seng wasn’t an Assistant Weyrlingmaster, and they didn’t especially want to be. But just as the Candidate Master occasionally asked for riders to volunteer spending time with students, so did D’zel. Generally less often, but not to the point it was unheard of. And this fact meant that, every once in a while, they Weyrlingmaster needed to meet with those riders who typically loaned him their time in order to help teach the next generation.

This had been one such morning for Seng. It seemed that one of D’zel’s current students—a young woman bonded to a Green dragonet—was having similar trouble to that which had always plagued Seng and Forrikenth when they were young. With wings over-sized for her body, the young dragonet was struggling to adapt to their breadth and avoid tripping on them, or having others trip over them in turn. A situation that could quickly develop into serious injuries, a lack of confidence, or both.

D’zel’s hope had been that Seng would be willing to meet with the weyrling pair in the next week or so. Perhaps some tips from grown dragons and riders who’d gone through such a thing would help them, had been his reasoning. Seng was happy to oblige.

Soon, they needed to rejoin their Wing for dragon drills. But a night of bad sleep had diverted Seng to the Weyr Hall for a few minutes at least, in the hope of securing a strong cup of klah to ward off the drowsiness they could feel encroaching at the edges of their vision. Seng did feel a little guilty for not rejoining Z’tai immediately, but he hoped his Wingleader would understand. Better a little late than falling asleep on dragonback during drills, right?

Narrow fingers cupped around the warm cup of klah they’d begged from the kitchen staff, Seng cast about for a place to sit. And then hesitated, concern blossoming inside their chest. The Junior Weyrwoman looked downright miserable; and Seng, always compassionate, felt for her. What was the matter?

Realistically, it wasn’t any of their business. Yet their feet had carried them over to a respectful distance from her table—within speaking distance but not encroaching—before Seng realized what they were doing. With a quiet smile, they asked, “Are you okay?”

Maybe that was overstepping. And if Vanelwynne wished to dismiss them, they would go obediently. But as some people in the weyr no doubt forgot, the Gold riders were people too. Just as subject to the small aches and loneliness of life.

Most people know Seng as he/him. Close friends use they/them. Seng is okay with either.
Family Adoptables

Offline Vanelwynne

• View Profile
  • turns old
  • gold-rider.png
  • of Oriath
  • Aster
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 06:54:48 PM »
On the contrary, the look in Vanelwynne's eyes as she turned her head upward and attempted to hone in on who was speaking to her was ... well. There was appreciation and gratefulness in there somewhere, interspersed with the bleary look of the sick and the mild disorientation brought on by fever.

"Oh, thank you for asking," she said in a tone that was trying very hard to not sound as sick as she looked, was probably almost succeeding but definitely not enough when mixed with the rest of her countenance, and blinking a couple of times to attempt recognition of who exactly was speaking to her. She had a general awareness of who every rider was, helped by Oriath, and some of the higher ranking nonriders, but at this point it might have taken her a minute to recognize Halirina. She was doing her best to outright avoid B'ron. "I don't think I could convince you the answer was yes ... Just a nasty cold."

Punctuated, helpfully, by a sneeze she managed to aim into her forearm and not toward the bluerider.

"It's -- it really is very kind of you to inquire, would you like to sit, or maybe stay further away to not risk getting sick?"

Signature by Wren

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 02:43:02 AM »
As the Weyrwoman responded, Seng felt for her even more. She sounded, well… sick. There’d be no simpler way to put it. And while the Blue rider didn’t think it was really their place to advise she go to the Healer Hall—and she’d probably already been there anyway—they’d wager that she could use a friend. The only thing that really made being sick worse was being alone, at least in Seng’s opinion.

So rather than move away, they nodded with another soft smile. “I’d love to sit. You look like you’re in need of some company.” They weren’t really worried about getting sick, and so shifted to take a seat across from Vanelwynne.

Seng hadn’t quite sat down when they paused, thoughtful. “Can I get you anything first?” It was completely without either artifice or an attempt at ingratiation. The Junior Weyrwoman seemed to have already retrieved some tea and food for herself, but Seng wouldn’t mind a short trip back to the boundary of the kitchens if she wanted something in addition.

Most people know Seng as he/him. Close friends use they/them. Seng is okay with either.
Family Adoptables

Offline Vanelwynne

• View Profile
  • turns old
  • gold-rider.png
  • of Oriath
  • Aster
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 11:41:28 AM »
"Ori will insist I can't get anyone sick," Vanelwynne was almost dismissive of her dragon's fussing, "But I've still been trying to keep away from the others and not breathe on anyone." She couldn't also take B'ron out for the count. She'd probably stop worrying when the bug calmed down a little bit and became one of those annoying spring colds that took a month or two to fully pass, at which point she'd just be upset if she still looked congested for Oriath's clutching. Right then, she was just miffed.

And appreciative of anyone willing to get close enough to be breathed on.

"I'm fine so far, thank you," she added, smile still there around swollen, leaky eyes. "If I get hungrier, which would be a miracle, I will let you know instead of pushing myself."

Thank you, the gold fussed, half at Wynne and half at Forrikenth -- toward her rider, irritated sarcasm, but toward the blue, it was more real appreciation. For his rider's willingness to sit with hers as she inhaled tea to clear her sinuses and chewed on the edge of some toast. Poor Seng was going to be stuck trying to make conversation with her, too, which not that many people often did (or had to, since if she wanted to talk she generally directed the conversation herself) and Oriath knew that could be difficult at times. But she couldn't do all the fussing herself and Leremith's had a job to be doing.

Signature by Wren

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 05:54:24 PM »
At the Weyrwoman’s answer, Seng smiled again and actually sat down, wrapping his hands around his cup of klah. “Please do. More rest should mean that you’ll feel better sooner.” That’s what his mother had always told him, anyhow, though enforcing such a thing was far easier with children than willful adults. Not that the Blue rider was about to presume what to tell the woman to do anyway. But at least she would allow someone else to do something for her rather than insisting otherwise.

“I’m Seng, by the way,” he added quickly, realizing with a deep blush that he hadn’t introduced himself yet. Would she think that rude? If she seemed desirous of someone to fill the silence, Seng would endeavor to do so. But for the moment, since she outranked him, he would let her guide the conversation if she so wished.

Forrikenth wasn’t alarmed per se when Oriath addressed him, but he was very demure. The Blue didn’t like breaking out of the natural weyr hierarchy anyway, but Golds were one of the few dragons he would actively try to mute himself around. Given that his mind voice only really had one volume, his attempt at doing so likely sounded somewhat ridiculous. But he didn’t want the Queen to think he was being presumptuous either. You’re welcome.

Family Adoptables

Offline Vanelwynne

• View Profile
  • turns old
  • gold-rider.png
  • of Oriath
  • Aster
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 03:04:43 PM »
Oriath's response wasn't verbal—some other dragons didn't find her voice particularly comfortable, and she never wanted to be unsettling like that—but it did still linger, that empathic sense of appreciation that someone was stopping to care about Vanelwynne as a person and not just Vanelwynne as a weyrwoman. It wasn't as if no one ever did, but often enough she wouldn't let them.

Whatever she thought, she definitely didn't think Seng rude; Wynne was still almost smiling, any distaste in her expression for her difficulty exhaling rather than any displeasure with the company. "Seng. Forrikenth's, yes?" she attempted to identify, thanks to Oriath. "She remembers him, I th—"

Sneeze.

"— I think. Not in an active sort of sense, but she remembers the Search dragons when she's reminded."

Signature by Wren

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 06:11:22 PM »
For all his awkwardness toward such a highly ranked dragon, Forrikenth was still glad of the lingering sense of appreciation. It reassured him to know that Oriath, at least, didn’t think he and Seng were stepping out of bounds by expressing their concern.

Seng returned Vanelwynne’s smile when she correctly pinned the name of his dragon. He even inclined his head some, both a bit embarrassed and pleased that the Weyrwoman had remembered him from their interview upon becoming Search Riders. “Health,” he interjected quickly when she sneezed, out of reflex and politeness that had been drilled into him by Essora. “And yes, that’s right. I’m honored that you and Oriath remember us.” There were a number of Search Riders in the weyr, after all. And while Seng knew in a vague way that there were files kept on all of them, there was a difference between that knowledge and actually being recognized.

“He certainly remembers her.” A thought which brought another soft smile to his face. “There aren’t many dragons that make him feel so shy.”

Family Adoptables

OOC Recent

[August 18, 2017, 10:37:28 PM]

by rubi
[August 18, 2017, 10:01:36 PM]

by Inki
[August 18, 2017, 07:38:34 PM]

by Inki
[August 18, 2017, 07:25:22 PM]

by Inki
[August 18, 2017, 07:23:40 PM]

[August 18, 2017, 07:12:06 PM]

by rubi
[August 18, 2017, 06:40:39 PM]

[August 18, 2017, 06:00:28 PM]

[August 18, 2017, 05:35:02 PM]

[August 18, 2017, 02:50:47 PM]

by Kyya
[August 18, 2017, 04:50:16 AM]

by Kyya
[August 18, 2017, 04:43:29 AM]

[August 17, 2017, 07:19:57 PM]

by Chai
[August 17, 2017, 04:49:54 PM]

by rubi
[August 17, 2017, 10:46:33 AM]

Open Threads

If you have any open threads and you'd like them listed, let us know.
In-Depth Character Prompts - For SOLO Threads

Don'tcha Just Hate It When... - 21.06.2589 x Seaphonellqua

Just Teasing - 01.09.2589 x Nishi

Death by Boredom - 32.10.2589 x Callista

Klah and Long Nights - 23.01.2590 x Isotarïne

In the Radiant Sun - 15.03.2590 x T'lor

Three Cheers to Sweet Isolation - 17.03.2590 x Penderton

Napping on a Wher - 18.03.2590 x Sarinea

Coryza - 20.03.2590 x Vanelwynne

The Down Low - 03.04.2590 x Callista

Now It's a Party! - 07.04.2590 x B'lye

Twisted Ankle - 25.04.2590 x Isalia