Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Most of the site is visible to guests, though we do have a Member's Only forum and an IC Cbox that becomes available once you join!

Guest Info Plot & Events

Current Month
8.2590 A.R.
9th Interval

Southern Winds has plotted events roughly every 4 or 5 OOC days. This means our story is ever evolving and Southern Winds is changing. Events for the current month are listed here, once you've registered for an account.

Our roleplay time is pretty fluid. We allow you to play anything that may have happened in the past, but not in the future, as events that may affect the entire weyr may ruin futuristic plots.

We list Flights, Clutches, and Hatchings for both Dragons and Flits here, as well as whers.  There are Candidate events and classes and Crafter plots. A little bit of something for everyone.

See previous events here!

Feel free to say hello, guesties! Registered members can request a colored name here.

Remember,
this holds no IC consequence and is only for fun.

photo voteforus_zps4dda9678.png
Click on the following to place your vote for us. Daily clicks would be fantastic!

Pernese Online A Gift of Dragons Shadowplay Topsites Top RP Sites

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

http://southernwindsweyr.net/Images/news icon copy.png We are a mature, 9th Interval AU Pern. We've destroyed almost the entire planet in a catastrophic event. While we feature 2 new mutations, we stick pretty close to canon. We've Ranks, roles, and positions for just about anyone who wants to get involved, with a relaxed community. Play and post at your own pace. Swing by and say hello!

Registration?
Southern Winds uses a subaccount system to distinguish between Players and their Characters. So REGISTER with your Player Account Name and the admin will assign you your Character Subaccount once your character is approved!

Southern Winds is a Mature Roleplay. This means we allow for sexual, violent content that would be found in a struggling, 9th Interval Pern. Sex is common place in the Weyr and terrible deaths are no stranger here. As such, our players should be 18+. These themes are to be handled maturely at all times.

Regards,
Southern Winds Weyr

Author Topic: Passing Down the Knowledge [ 7.1.2590; 7 PM ] || W’um  (Read 787 times)

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
  • Won't someone sweep me off my feet?
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • Bonded to three firelizard(s)
  • Sparrow, Heron, & Skycourser
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
Passing Down the Knowledge [ 7.1.2590; 7 PM ] || W’um
« on: February 07, 2017, 12:57:26 PM »
Seng was excited. At long last, their patience, dedication, and work had paid off—and they’d been assigned a Candidate to mentor. They weren’t the oldest nor the most experienced rider, which had initially discouraged them from seeking to help out with the next generation of riders at all. But they did still have several turns under their belt, and above all, they enjoyed teaching. And, as Forrikenth had seen fit to remind them on more than one occasion, just because they weren’t the most Pass-hardened pair didn’t make their experiences any less valid. They might not be Assistant Weyrlingmaster material—and indeed, did not think themselves qualified—but they could still help.

Even so, they’d seen it as a bit of a long shot that they would be assigned to someone at all. And now that it had finally happened, Seng actually felt nervous. Antsy. What if the Candidate they’d been assigned to didn’t like them? What if they messed up? What if they didn’t really know what they were doing after all?

All of that, and Forrikenth had finally said—There’s someone you should talk to. He knew the other dragons in their Wing, in some cases more so than Seng knew their riders. It was hard to keep track of everyone, after all. But Liramyth and his rider had reputations as experienced and highly successful Search Riders, didn’t they? Surely, if only Seng would ask, they would have some advice to pass on.

So it was that one Blue rider sought out the other after their fishing chores were done. Seng would be meeting with their assigned Candidate in a few days, so time was of an essence.

There he is.

Directing his rider’s gaze, Forrikenth indicated W’um among the dispersing Prairie riders. Breaking into a short jog, Seng caught up to the older man with a smile. Nervous, but excited too. “Hey. Do you have a minute?” The politest thing to ask, of course; they wouldn’t want to interfere with any plans their Wingmate had, nor assume he would automatically be in the mood to talk.

@Inki
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:58:06 PM by SirAlahn »

Most people know Seng as he/him. Close friends use they/them. Seng is okay with either.
Family Adoptables

Offline W'um

Re: Passing Down the Knowledge [ 7.1.2590; 7 PM ] || W’um
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 02:28:08 AM »
W'um always had a minute. Especially for young and eager fellow riders like Seng. Sure, he could go back to his Weyr and talk to Liramyth after a spot of dinner, but he could do that anytime. He liked to feel needed after all, and if he could help out a fellow wingrider, he would be more than happy to do so.

"Of course, of course, Seng. What can I do for you?" He asked, stopping where he stood in case Seng wasn't intending on following him into the Weyrhall to talk.

The older blue rider knew of Seng, W'um tried hard to keep tabs on everyone in the wing, see their progress and all of that and had been pleasantly surprised at Seng's progress in Prairie. Seng had very much grown into a talented searchrider, they seemed to be a proud member of Prairie wing, much like himself in fact, not being discouraged by the sometimes negative opinion on the "failure" wing of the Weyr.

It had been a good 10 turns for the blue rider, W'um often thought.

But it probably wasn't something he would admit out loud. W'um had previously been more open about his keeping tabs on any riders younger than himself in Prairie, wanting to be a helping hand in case anyone needed anything. But it had gone... unwanted a few times after he had offered his advice for a struggling rider. So he had simply observed Seng since his entrance into Prairie, and hadn't said much of what he had thought of their progress.

Length 28.5m ~ Height 5.7m ~ Wingspan 47.31m
W'um oversees the Weyrlings of 2590, click here to find any Weyrling info you need.

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 06:22:56 PM »
Seng smiled in relief when W’um confirmed he was willing to talk, though there was still a note of nervous excitement in their bearing. W’um and Liramyth were one of those older dragonpairs that Seng very much looked up to, and they couldn’t help but feel a bit giddy at all this. To have a Candidate to mentor, and an older rider to mentor them in turn—it just made the Blue rider all the prouder to be part of the long line of dragon riders on Pern. More so because, in their own small way, they could contribute to the continuance of its culture.

“I actually had some questions—well. Err. I guess more that I wanted to know if you’d be willing to give me some advice.” A faint blush rose to their cheeks, but Seng strove to fight it down. Seeking to look a bit more presentable, they clasped their hands in front of them, back straight. “I just got assigned a Candidate to mentor, and I want to do a good job. I know you have a lot of experience as a Search Rider, and mentoring younger riders… so I’d be very glad to any tips if you have them:  things to do or avoid, anything like that…”

Realizing they were maybe being a bit impolite, especially with the rush all their words had come out in, Seng inclined their head toward the direction of the Weyr Hall. “If you’d prefer to talk about this during dinner, that’s fine. I just wanted to catch you before it was too late in the evening.”

Most people know Seng as he/him. Close friends use they/them. Seng is okay with either.
Family Adoptables

Offline W'um

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:51:02 PM »
"Of course I'll give you some tips!" W'um exclaimed excitedly, happy that Seng had come to him of all people. Whilst, sure, he did have a lot of experience, it was nice to know that others respected him for it as well.

"A Candidate to mentor? That's very exciting. Good for you Seng." His face was split in a wide grin, Seng was so cute, and it seemed like they were also excited about the prospect, if a little nervous.

Go easy on him, he wants to learn. Liramyth warned ahead of time.

I can be serious when I need to be. Plus, I like the kid.

Kid? He's been a rider for turns.

Everyone's a kid compared to us, Liramyth

W'um could hear the thrum of laughter from where Liramyth was settled in the Weyrbowl, waiting for W'um to decide whether or not he wanted to head up to their Weyr.

"Why don't we head along to the Weyr Hall and have dinner together?" W'um usually sat where ever there was a spare spot at the dining tables, not needing to limit himself to the same group of people every night, and enjoying the varied conversation that he heard by moving around. But he'd be more than happy to sit still for one night to talk with Seng.

"Do you want to head in there now? Or shall we meet there after we get ourselves cleaned up a little bit?" W'um could understand the need to change out of clothes not covered in fish guts and salt water if Seng so wished. But the older blue rider wasn't particularly fussed himself. Everyone in the Weyr smelled a bit like fish at any given time, and they would probably blend in with whatever fish concoction had been brewed up for dinner tonight anyways.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:54:25 PM by W'um »

W'um oversees the Weyrlings of 2590, click here to find any Weyrling info you need.

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 07:40:18 PM »
When W’um seemed just as excited to give him advice as Seng was to get it, the younger Blue rider couldn’t help but grin. Nervous though he was about talking to someone he admired, it wasn’t an emotion that lasted long in him once his actions were met with approval. But he did incline his head to the older rider in a respectful gesture. “Thank you. I’m excited about it too—I just want to make sure I do a good job.” Seng felt sure they didn’t need to tack on all the reasons they wanted to:  to prove they could do this; to do right by their Wing and others who had faith in them; to maybe help this Candidate someday Impress. W’um would no doubt already know that, and Seng didn’t want to look over foolish.

At the offer of dinner, he smiled. “I would like that very much. I usually eat first myself, but I’m happy to meet you there if you want to get washed up first.” Still conscientious, he didn’t want to mess with the other rider’s routine if he had one. As excited and full of energy as he was, Seng knew it’d be hard to be patient. But he’d try nevertheless if that’s what W’um preferred.

I told you talking to him was a good idea. There was certainly a note of self-satisfaction in the Blue’s voice. He knew that his rider rarely stepped out of what he saw as the rider hierarchy. And while W’um rode the same color as Seng, his status as an older, tested, and respected dragonrider had made Seng somewhat intimidated about reaching out to him in the first place.

Family Adoptables

Offline W'um

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 12:32:17 AM »
"I usually eat first as well. So that's perfect! Let's head on in." He said, reaching up to give Seng a friendly pat on the shoulder, leading the way into the Weyrhall.

I'll be at our Weyr. Make sure you're actually helpful and don't just chatter away at him all night.

Me? Bore people to tears with talking? Never.

He waved a hand in the general direction of Liramyth. It may have looked weird, considering they had kept their conversation to themselves, but Seng knew how it worked. They entered the hall and W'um led them to a table in the corner of the Weyrhall, where they would possibly not get too distracted by the others around them.

"So..." W'um paused for a moment, trying to remember what Seng had asked him. "Right - tips and tricks on the trade. Number 1, avoid telling them how many candidates don't impress. Whether or not that number is small, it doesn't sound like that to them. It's always 'Two people don't impress a turn, that's so many, I could be that person', unless they're very determined and sure of themselves, that probably won't help them." He rested his chin in his hands, trying to think of anything else off the top of his head. "Oh, and encourage Forrikenth to talk to them. Nothing out of his comfort zone, of course, but it helps to get them exposed to a dragon voice that isn't Saibrasoth's." He laughed. "They would be getting sick of his voice after so long, and they always react so nicely when Liramyth talks to them."

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 07:53:47 PM »
It seemed he’d not have to wait after all, and Seng smiled back at the other rider. “Yes, let’s.” Though he didn’t think W’um would know it as anything other than normal, there was a certain excited spring in his step. The evening was looking like it would be ending quite well, and would leave him all the better prepared for his upcoming meeting with his mentee.

Seng was certainly eager enough to follow the older man in to the Weyr Hall. It was already starting to fill up, as riders and non-riders alike finished their shifts of work and showed up for dinner. But where W’um led them seemed like a good place, since it was rather out of the way and made it more unlikely that they would be disturbed. Not that Seng minded conversation with multiple people, but this was a topic he intended to listen to intently.

Such as it was, he hung off every word W’um said, nodding thoughtfully as he absorbed the information. “That makes sense.” After all, mentors were supposed to help Candidates get more accustomed to weyr life and potentially becoming riders, if there was some mental or emotional block that was likely to be preventing them from Impressing. And if that meant not mentioning actual Impression statistics, Seng could do that.

Likewise with having Forrikenth talk to more people. “I don’t think he’ll mind,” Seng added with a chuckle. “He likes talking to people, but just usually doesn’t because he sounds… loud.” That was the best way to put it, really. The bulky Blue didn’t really have a concept of volume, and his voice was difficult to soften anyway.

Family Adoptables

Offline W'um

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »
W'um smiled at little at Seng's words about Forrikenth. "It'll help to teach them that all dragons are very different too. A lot of them have very specific ideas in their minds about what dragons are and what they should be." He waved a hand nonchalantly. "As we both know, in reality there's so much variation."

Snagging a platter of bread from the table over, he placed it in between them, also pinching the butter dish and slicing open his bun to butter it. They could always go serve themselves dinner in a second, but he wanted to make sure he was answering all the questions Seng had first.

"I think O'sir picks candidates that have been standing for a couple of clutches? Mostly so they can benefit from extra knowledge if they've already taken all the basic classes." He paused, taking a bite of his roll and enjoying the crunch of the seeds within. "So, mostly they just need to know what it's really like to be a dragon rider. They already know how and what to do and why, but most of them don't really know what happens in our day to day lives."

He pushed the platter towards Seng to encourage him to start eating, not wanting him to feel concerned about being rude by eating during this conversation.

"Explain drills to them, let them oil Forrikenth, take them fishing with you, tell them about Halirina and S'bok, what to do and what not to do." He shrugged. "Let them know what it's really like, there's no need to sugarcoat it, they'll be a rider just like you and me within a few turns anyways."

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 12:56:09 AM »
Intent though he was on W’um’s words, the unspoken invitation to eat was a welcome one. Seng might not be ravenously hungry, exactly, but the telltale gnaw of it had definitely started in his stomach toward the end of their work for the day. So he nodded his head in thanks to the other Blue rider and picked out another roll for himself. The butter on it was just this side of sweet, and tasted damn delicious on the bread itself. As scarce as dairy could sometimes be given the lowered population of herdbeasts, it was always a nice if simple luxury to enjoy.

What W’um was saying was logical, and Seng was a curious enough student that he wasn’t embarrassed some of it hadn’t been things he’d originally have thought of—like talking about the dynamics between the current Weyrleader and Senior Weyrwoman, nor taking the Candidates fishing with him. They were certainly common fixtures helping the Fishers anyway, but there’d be a bit of a difference if he was having them help with what he and Forrikenth were doing directly.

All of it was valuable, and he nodded again. “And tell them about the Beach Snakes and Hunters too, I imagine?” Everyone at Southern Winds knew about them, of course, but the riders were the ones most experienced with dealing with them. And there was a marked difference between how a rider would be expected to react to them versus someone without a dragon. But how direct he would have to be about those dangers was no doubt a delicate thing.

Family Adoptables

Offline W'um

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 02:07:45 AM »
W'um was pleased with the intent that Seng seemed to be showing in actually learning, and taking his advice. Not that he necessarily expected anything different, but W'um had known his fair share of riders in the past to simply be going through the paces. Especially those that wanted out of Prairie Wing, if they were seen to be going and getting advice from those older and more experienced, then it would look good for them when they eventually asked to be transferred to a different wing. It was disappointing to be sure, to know that there were those that wanted so quickly to move on from Prairie, for whatever uninformed bias, but W'um didn't expect Seng to be one of them.

"It would be wise, I think, yes." He waved a hand in their air as he continued with his explanation, "As much as they know about Beach Snakes and Hunters, we're the only ones that actually have anything to do with them... You know, and coming out alive... if that."

He took a bite as he thought. Perhaps more of the crafter and holder folk should have an education on the Beach Snakes and Hunters. Dragonriders were told every day of their dangers, but he was sure there were kids out there that didn't know all the ins and outs, their poison, their habits. Everyone should know as much as they can.

"And you know, just don't scare them too much if you can help it."

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »
Seng couldn’t resist the faint quirk of a smile that tugged upward on his mouth at the last bit W’um added. “I hope none of them scare easily,” he confided. “I’ve no intention of horrifying them with only the bad things, but it’s still…” Unsure of how to finish the sentence, he waved the half a roll he was still holding and tried again. “I know it’s not my place, but sometimes I worry there’s this idea things are less dangerous for us now just because Thread isn’t falling anymore.” Truthfully, Seng was embarrassed to admit it, and he ducked his head a little in recognition of that.

It was an uncharitable thing to think of any of the Weyr’s current Candidates. And as he’d already said, it wasn’t his place to worry about; surely the Candidate Master and Weyrlingmasters made sure to combat any misinformation in that regard. But it was still something he’d been thinking about.

They still lost too many riders on a regular basis to truly feel safe.

But Seng pushed past that with another smile, hoping W’um wouldn’t think less of him for admitting to that smidgen of doubt. “Thank you, anyway. I appreciate you giving me time to pick your brain about it all.”

Family Adoptables

OOC Recent

[Today at 08:07:30 PM]

[Today at 01:19:00 PM]

[Today at 11:59:48 AM]

[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

[October 15, 2017, 06:37:34 PM]

[October 15, 2017, 04:23:28 PM]

[October 15, 2017, 11:53:01 AM]

[October 15, 2017, 11:34:49 AM]

[October 15, 2017, 11:14:03 AM]

[October 15, 2017, 10:45:27 AM]

by Inki
[October 15, 2017, 02:08:55 AM]

[October 14, 2017, 11:13:44 PM]

[October 14, 2017, 06:59:49 PM]

by Inki
[October 13, 2017, 10:18:23 PM]

[October 13, 2017, 06:08:54 PM]

Open Threads

If you have any open threads that aren't listed, let us know.
In-Depth Character Prompts - For SOLO Threads

Don'tcha Just Hate It When... - 21.06.2589 x Seaphonellqua

Just Teasing - 01.09.2589 x Nishi

Death by Boredom - 32.10.2589 x Callista

Klah and Long Nights - 23.01.2590 x Isotarïne

In the Radiant Sun - 15.03.2590 x T'lor

Three Cheers to Sweet Isolation - 17.03.2590 x Penderton

Napping on a Wher - 18.03.2590 x Sarinea

Coryza - 20.03.2590 x Vanelwynne

Now It's a Party! - 07.04.2590 x B'lye

Dragon's Dance - 08.05.2590 x Bekareni

Evening Showers - 11.05.2590 x K'ran