Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Check out the Monthly Overview to see what's new on the forum!

Guest Info Plot & Events

Current Month
8.2590 A.R.
9th Interval

Southern Winds has plotted events roughly every 4 or 5 OOC days. This means our story is ever evolving and Southern Winds is changing. Events for the current month are listed here, once you've registered for an account.

Our roleplay time is pretty fluid. We allow you to play anything that may have happened in the past, but not in the future, as events that may affect the entire weyr may ruin futuristic plots.

We list Flights, Clutches, and Hatchings for both Dragons and Flits here, as well as whers.  There are Candidate events and classes and Crafter plots. A little bit of something for everyone.

See previous events here!

Feel free to say hello, guesties! Registered members can request a colored name here.

Remember,
this holds no IC consequence and is only for fun.

photo voteforus_zps4dda9678.png
Click on the following to place your vote for us. Daily clicks would be fantastic!

Pernese Online A Gift of Dragons Shadowplay Topsites Top RP Sites

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

http://southernwindsweyr.net/Images/news icon copy.png We are a mature, 9th Interval AU Pern. We've destroyed almost the entire planet in a catastrophic event. While we feature 2 new mutations, we stick pretty close to canon. We've Ranks, roles, and positions for just about anyone who wants to get involved, with a relaxed community. Play and post at your own pace. Swing by and say hello!

Registration?
Southern Winds uses a subaccount system to distinguish between Players and their Characters. So REGISTER with your Player Account Name and the admin will assign you your Character Subaccount once your character is approved!

Southern Winds is a Mature Roleplay. This means we allow for sexual, violent content that would be found in a struggling, 9th Interval Pern. Sex is common place in the Weyr and terrible deaths are no stranger here. As such, our players should be 18+. These themes are to be handled maturely at all times.

Regards,
Southern Winds Weyr

Author Topic: The Start of Something New [25.02.2590 ~ 7pm] Seng  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Elrost

• Herdbeast Motherer
  • I guess I'm sort of a midwife...
    • View Profile

• He/Him/His
  • turns old
  • hall-less-crafter.png
  • Bonded to one firelizard(s)
  • Harrier
  • Bonded to one wher(s)
  • Ellsk
  • Inki
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
The Start of Something New [25.02.2590 ~ 7pm] Seng
« on: March 10, 2017, 10:10:00 PM »
Elrost hummed, brushing a hand down the side of the herdbeast, calming her as her side rose and fell with each breath that she took. A calf watch latched onto her udders, hungrily consuming the milk that he would be surviving off for the next turn. He would have to keep an eye on her, make sure she didn’t dry up as this cow had been known to do.

But for now she would be fine.

Harrier flew down from the wooden beams that crossed in the high roof of the barn, coming to land on the water trough, cocking her head to the side at him. “Yeah. We can go get some food now. Go find Ellie.”

The Gold obediently winged out of the barn, and Elrost’s stomach rumbled. It had been a long labour for the cow, starting in the early hours of the morning and continuing throughout the entire day, and all three of them had missed out on lunch.

Luckily, Elrost had been able to turn the ordeal into a lesson for the apprentices. He could make the most of the time sitting and waiting to explain to them the nitty gritty details of herdbeast calving. Some had gone a little green in the final hours, but most had been able to keep their heads.

They had been able to switch out after all, go to lunch and to their other duties in the crafthall, but Elrost had stayed, Harrier had kept an eye out, and Ellsk had gotten bored after a few hours to go digging.

Ellsk on the other hand, was trying to catch the attention of a blue dragon that had landed after coming back from drills, she was hoping up and down on her stumpy little legs, and bugling at him in the high pitched way that only a tiny wher could.

Harrier winged back into the barn, and chirped at him, pointing her head out of the wooden doors and sending him a picture of Ellsk. It was her generic ‘go look for yourself’ message.

“Ellie!” He called, stepping out of the barn, Harrier taking flight over his head to watch.

Spoiler for Hidden:
@SirAlahn @Seng Lemme know if you want me to change anything as always <3
Length 2.4m ~ Height 0.8m
All powerplay by SirAlahn // Seng allowed

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
  • Won't someone sweep me off my feet?
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • Bonded to three firelizard(s)
  • Sparrow, Heron, & Skycourser
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
Re: The Start of Something New [25.02.2590 ~ 7pm] Seng
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 06:09:51 PM »
Talking with a Wingmate after their duties for the day, Seng hadn’t been fully paying attention to what Forrikenth was doing. The Blue had landed on the grass of the Bowl, rather lazy after their day of work. As usual, he knew that his rider would be eating a quick dinner before removing his riding straps and checking them over. But Forrikenth was in no particular hurry, and so while his rider was involved with conversation, he was content to relax.

His attention was quickly caught by a high-pitched bugling somewhere nearby. It didn’t sound like a dragon, exactly, but it still took the Blue a moment to identify where it was coming from.

The previously tranquil blue of his eyes shifted to an excited green, and he trumpeted a return greeting to the little wher trying to get his attention. Forrikenth loved the things, but didn’t get the chance to interact with them often; most seemed, if not afraid of him, displeased about having him in their space. This one, though, was radiating nothing more than an excitement much like his own.

Conscious of not getting to close to the herdbeasts, then, he was reluctant to venture over very far. Seng had made it very clear he was to avoid the creatures—a bit of courtesy that the Herders had requested of the riders. So, craning his head as close as he dared, Forrikenth sent a brassy Hello! to the tiny wher, and projected an imagined picture of her coming over to him.

The sound of Forrikenth bugling a greeting startled Seng, to the point that he excused himself from the conversation to draw closer to his stocky dragon. //Who are you talking to?//

This wher! I think she wants to play!

Most people know Seng as he/him. Close friends use they/them. Seng is okay with either.
Family Adoptables

Offline Elrost

• Herdbeast Motherer
    • View Profile

• He/Him/His
  • turns old
  • hall-less-crafter.png
  • Harrier
  • Bonded to one wher(s)
  • Ellsk
  • Inki
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 12:25:38 AM »
Ellsk did not hesitate to follow the encouragement of the blue dragon, excitedly bouncing over to him and away from the herdbeast pens. When she reached him, the green wher tripped in a dirt ditch, one which she had created herself earlier on in the turn, when the season has allowed her to wallow in the mud.

The trip didn't phase her, and she made the most of it by rolling around in the dirt, enjoying the way that it stuck to her hide. She sent Forrikenth an image of him sitting in the dirt next to her, although the ditch was significantly bigger in her mind then it actually was in real life, and wouldn't at all be possible to achieve given the size of the blue dragon, but it didn't hinder Ellsk's enthusiasm.

"Ellie!" Elrost called again, not being able to spot Ellsk given as she was so far away. He wouldn't expect her to wander so far, but he wasn't very surprised either. He had been working at the same task all day, Ellsk was bound to get bored and wander off.

She heard his call, and sent him an image of where she was, her round little body dwarfed by the blue dragon's size.

"She's with a dragon?" He asked up at Harrier, cocking his head at her high above him, and he just heard the satisfied chirp of confirmation from her. She did so enjoy being the dutiful one. "Well come on, let's make sure she's not going to get eaten."

He broke into a slight jog to cross the Weyr bowl, spotting the blue dragon off in the distance, whilst most dragonriders would probably just ignore an overexcited wher if they didn't want to deal with her, some may be offended by the wher's presumption that they would want to pay attention to her, so if that was the case, Elrost would like to be there to be able to pull her away from them without any grievous bodily harm being done.

"Sorry, if she's disturbing you." Elrost called when he approached. "She doesn't like to think that some are too busy to play all the time." He grinned as he approached, at who he believed was the rider, but he wasn't really close enough yet to get a good look at them.

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 02:15:17 AM »
Seng well knew how fond his dragon was of watchwhers, but he still felt a wash of embarrassment at Forrikenth’s answer. //Forrikenth, you shouldn’t be bothering other people’s whers…// The creatures were used almost exclusively for work, which meant the little creature probably had a task that the Blue was distracting her from. Moving quickly toward his dragon, Seng was already formulating whatever apology he’d have to make to the person bonded to the Green.

But she wants to play! In a buoyantly good mood, Forrikenth wasn’t dissuaded at all by Seng’s worry. Instead, when the wher rolled around in the dirt, he made a noise like a laugh and trotted over to fulfill her projected image. Of course, he dwarfed the trench she’d dug, but he was completely content to sit in—or on—it next to her. The Blue leaned down to nose at her then, huffing hot breath at her playfully.

//Forrikenth!//

Seng’s fears came true when he heard a voice call out. The owner of it wasn’t hard to place, and despite himself the Blue rider blushed all the more. The voice—and presumably the wher—belonged to someone very handsome, both taller and more muscled than Seng. Just the sort of person he always got tongue-tied and nervous around at the best of times, when there wasn’t some measure of hierarchy or social expectation to dictate how he should act.

Naturally.

“O-oh, she’s not bothering us at all,” he offered, and despaired over the shy waver in his voice. “I’m so sorry. Forrikenth loves whers and he gets excited whenever any will pay attention to him. I was just trying to get him to leave her alone. I’m sure you’ve got important work we’re distracting you from…” Seng realized he was rambling, and the last trailed off into a near mumble. 

Most people know Seng as he/him. Close friends use they/them. Seng is okay with either.
Family Adoptables

Offline Elrost

• Herdbeast Motherer
    • View Profile

• He/Him/His
  • turns old
  • hall-less-crafter.png
  • Harrier
  • Bonded to one wher(s)
  • Ellsk
  • Inki
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 03:02:21 AM »
Elrost had to take a breath before he responded, allowing himself the beat to think and not say anything stupid. The waver in the dragonrider's voice had made his heart clench, not to mention the slight figure and the beautiful hazel that had caught him as soon as Elrost had gotten close enough to look into them.

"Really, don't worry about it." He said sincerely, trying to catch the dragonrider's eye to assure him that he hadn't done anything wrong.

Ellsk, took this time to come over to him, her head cocked as if questioning why he had come over to ruin her fun, before butting her head against him affectionately. He could help but smile, and laugh at the green's cuddliness.

"Alright then." He head pushing her head away from his face, grinning, "You can go and play." Scratching the scar on his cheek, subconsciously, he turned back towards the blue rider.

"I really don't mind being distracted by you." Did he really just say that out loud? "I mean..." He cleared his throat, what had come over him? "What I mean to say, is that you aren't distracting me, and Ellsk doesn't mind being distracted by a dragon, if there was even something to be distracted from. She loves dragons." Gesturing awkwardly towards the Weyr hall to hopefully distract the rider away from the awkwardness that had ensued from Elrost's fumbling, he continued. "I was heading to get some food anyway, but it's not important."

Not like he hadn't eaten for 6 hours.

Ellsk in the meantime, had made her way back over to Forrikenth and was happily returning the puff of hot air that he had blown in her face earlier, but her attempts with a lot less effect than his had made obviously. The little green excitedly jumping from foot to foot, happy to have a new face interacting with her.

Trilling her greeting from the air above their heads, Harrier also decided to join into the party, coming to land on the ground at Elrost's feet. "So you know that's Ellsk, and this beauty is Harrier." Whilst many others would definitely not call Harrier a beauty, Elrost had decided long ago that he didn't care. Cocking her head to the side, she chirped at him confusedly, as if wondering why he had stopped his introductions there. "Oh! Right, I'm Elrost, Senior Journeyman Beastcrafter at your service."

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 10:26:18 AM »
It was sweet of the man to reassure him that neither he nor his wher were being bothered, but if anything it just made Seng blush all the more. Would it have been better if that had been the case, or the wher’s Handler been more brusque? At least then he wouldn’t have to deal with the fact that this stranger was both handsome and seemed nice. And oh, that grin and laugh as he released his wher to play with Forrikenth just made it even worse. But at the same time, even shy and awkward as Seng knew he was being, he wasn’t about to complain.

He did nearly do a double take at those next words, glancing up into those kind eyes in surprise. //Did he just…// But the unspoken question went unanswered. Forrikenth, thrilled at the actual chance to play with a wher as he wanted, wasn’t really listening. And maybe it had just been a slip of the tongue? The man did clear his throat and correct himself rather quickly, so there was a chance it had been nothing more than that.

Regardless, Seng ducked his head again in embarrassment. “I don’t mean to keep you from your dinner. I was just heading there myself…” He wouldn’t let himself admit that was an invitation, but it very much was.

Forrikenth had huffed his disappointment some when the Green wher trotted back over to her Handler. Leave it to the other human and his rider to ruin his fun. But when she returned to him, blowing her own hot breath at him though he could barely feel it, the Blue trilled another happy note. His only regret was that she was so tiny, they couldn’t wrestle for real without him worrying that he’d hurt her or outright crush her. But he did nuzzle her with his nose again, playfully trying to push her over—and even licking her face.

And embarrassed though he might be, Seng couldn’t help but smile a bit at the pure joy radiating from his dragon. The expression lingered on his face as he listened to the introductions. “It’s nice to meet you all,” he said, even extending one hand toward Harrier. Some flits liked to sniff at strangers, and he’d not deny her that if she wished. Though, the Gold seemed well-behaved anyway.

“I’m Seng,” he added after a moment, and gestured with his other hand to the bulky Blue playing with Ellsk. “And that’s Forrikenth. Though, er, I guess I already said that.”

Hello! Dragons might not normally talk to people other than their riders, but Forrikenth was a social dragon, and usually did at least when Seng introduced them.

Family Adoptables

Offline Elrost

• Herdbeast Motherer
    • View Profile

• He/Him/His
  • turns old
  • hall-less-crafter.png
  • Harrier
  • Bonded to one wher(s)
  • Ellsk
  • Inki
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 04:05:54 AM »
Maybe he believed that it was just a slip of the tongue. I know he heard me say it, he look at me with those eyes of his when I did. Luckily, the rider didn't say anything to make it seem like he had taken it to heart, so regardless of the truth, Elrost quickly shoved that blunder to the back of his mind.

He wasn't supposed to be blurting out his attraction as soon as he met someone. Not that this immediate gut clenching reaction happened very often, but regardless, he was supposed to be suave, subtle, or nonexistent. Elrost wasn't looking for anyone, he had work to do, and he couldn't get distracted, but just going and having dinner with him wouldn't hurt. Would it?

"Oh, well then. We should go eat together." Elrost thought that he should probably follow that up with a reason why this rider should consider eating with him, but he couldn't come up with anything other than because you're cute. So he just left that statement out in the open as it was.

Harrier was pleased that Seng had produced his hand to her to sniff, and she logged that scent away in her memory. It was always a good idea for her to know everything about everyone.

Elrost smiled, the corners of his eyes crinkling with amusement. "Yes, you did already say that. And a beautiful dragon he is." He said, bowing his head slightly in deference to the blue, his eyes going wide with shock at the dragon speaking directly to him, a jolt running through him. "Hi." Elrost couldn't help but respond to the blue. He felt like it was a privilege every time he experienced a dragon's speech, he had a wher sure, and a firelizard too, but dragon's were a league of their own, and sharing their connection with another person, if only for a brief amount of time was humbling for him.

Blinking a little to clear his mind, he turned towards the Weyrhall, the move taking him a little closer to Seng as he did so, gesturing towards the entrance. "Shall we? If you would like to join me?"

He really hoped that Seng did.

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 11:11:41 AM »
Shards, how did he make that seem so easy! No matter that Seng’s own words had been an invitation all their own, the other man just seemed so much more… forward. It bothered Seng a bit that he couldn’t tell if it was intentional, or born of some mutual sense of awkward. And his dragon certainly wasn’t going to be any help, distracted as he was now in playing with the bouncy little Green wher.

//What is happening to me?//

It felt like his stomach was doing somersaults inside him, flipping like it did during a particularly gravity defying maneuver or the threat of a fall. But that was ridiculous, and he chided himself inwardly at being so flustered. He’d talked to attractive strangers before! No matter that this one very much was. Was that still a blush burning on his cheeks? Surely, this man—Elrost—would think him as ridiculous as he felt.

Especially since it seemed he had already given Forrikenth’s name. And Faranth, that look. But Seng tried his best to push all that away, smiling some again when the Gold flit did indeed take his scent off his fingertips. “I have two flits of my own,” he found himself saying, and couldn’t seem to stop himself from rambling. “They only hatched last month, so they’re asleep in my weyr right now. A Bronze and a Green.”

The Blue rider glanced back up at Elrost, and bit his lower lip when the distance between them closed some. “Yes, I would like that.” The words came out barely above a whisper, and he’d nearly stumbled over them anyway. So he repeated, a bit louder, “Yes, please.”

Family Adoptables

Offline Elrost

• Herdbeast Motherer
    • View Profile

• He/Him/His
  • turns old
  • hall-less-crafter.png
  • Harrier
  • Bonded to one wher(s)
  • Ellsk
  • Inki
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 04:11:42 PM »
"Oh?" Good. Something else that they could talk about so that Elrost wouldn't say anything to make himself look stupid. There was something about Seng that was making him all flustered, and he really didn't want to be. He had this... strange need to feel put together around Seng. He wanted to make a good impression.

"What're their names? Do they help you out a lot?" He wasn't exactly sure whether there was much that the flitters could help a dragonrider with, after all, he had a bigger model. "Harrier is very useful, Ellsk... not so much." He grinned affectionately over at his green wher, and she trumpeted back at him when she realised the attention was turned back to her.

Oh no. The lip bite. Oh shards no. He needed to hold himself together and Seng was there being all cute and flustered and biting his lip.

Pull it together. Just walk.

Elrost didn't step away, when he started to walk, subconsciously deciding to not give Seng what would be seen as a more respectable distance. There was something about the blue rider which made Elrost want to stay close, want to catch every little expression, although Faranth knew that it was probably a terrible idea.

"I'm sorry, you may have to walk a little slower than usual." He said with an apologetic smile, when they set off, his lopsided gait becoming more evident after a long day of standing and kneeling to help the cow deliver. It wasn't that obvious, and his pace was almost at a normal person's speed, but Elrost didn't want Seng to feel... awkward about it. He didn't worry about his limp, it didn't effect his work most days, just made him look a little strange, and so he'd found that just bringing it up made other's a lot more comfortable.

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 12:10:37 PM »
“Oh! Uhm. The Green is named Sparrow, and the Bronze is Heron.” Seng glanced back at Elrost and just avoided squirming under that gaze. “I haven’t really trained them to do anything yet.” Which made him feel a bit chagrined. If he wanted them to be more working flits than pets, should he have started training them immediately? Seng didn’t know what he’d use them for, really; he’d just always wanted some, and loved them dearly even if they weren’t entirely useful. “But they’re still young. Mostly they just stay near me or sleep so far.” 

His heart beat faster when Elrost stayed so close, but it was a pleasant thrill rather than an unwelcome one. Really, it just made him all the more aware of just how tall and muscular the Herder was. Seng had always been tall himself—or had always felt he was, since he’d initially been raised as a girl. There were still people that he felt like he towered over, which made him all the more appreciative when he found himself looking up into someone else’s eyes instead of down.

“I don’t mind.” The Blue rider hadn’t noticed Elrost’s limp when he’d first approached, since he’d been rather more focused on whether or not his dragon was getting into mischief. Shortening his naturally long strides, he matched his pace to Elrost’s. There were other riders he knew, too, who hadn’t come out of the Pass unscathed, and accounting for differing ability or movement was something Seng always tried to be sensitive toward.

Idly, he wondered how Elrost had gotten his, but that was an impolite thing to ask since he didn’t know the man.

Right. They were supposed to be having a conversation, rather than Seng just studying him. Face flushing again, Seng fidgeted with his riding gloves, pulling them off his hands and then twisting the leather between his fingers. “How long have you been working in Beastcraft?” It had to be a while, given the fact that he’d said he was a Senior Journeyman.

Family Adoptables

Offline Elrost

• Herdbeast Motherer
    • View Profile

• He/Him/His
  • turns old
  • hall-less-crafter.png
  • Harrier
  • Bonded to one wher(s)
  • Ellsk
  • Inki
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 09:13:29 PM »
"Those are beautiful names, Seng. Of course, you're right, you're right." Elrost responded, slightly annoyed that he had made such a blunder, now Seng was going to be thinking he was a complete idiot with no idea as to how firelizards work. Of course Seng's baby firelizards wouldn't be helping him yet. Stupid.

"Well, thank you," he said, in response to Seng's no questions asked easy acceptance of his fouled walking habit and Elrost was content to walk in silence with the blue rider when it seemed like Seng was thinking about something.

Elrost couldn't help but notice all of Seng's little quirks. They way he twisted his gloves in his fingers, or ducked his head when his cheeks went a little red. But he really did try not to notice them, not that that was going very well.

"My whole life." He responded with a smile. Elrost truly did love working in the beastcraft, and whilst it hadn't always been easy, he would never want to do anything differently. "Father was a beastcrafter, so even though I was officially apprenticed at twelve, I'd been playing around with the Runners and Woolbeasts since I was born. So..." Pausing for a moment, he did some quick calculations in his head, he wasn't the best with numbers, but his knowledge was good enough because he needed it for his work. "Over twenty turns?"

Elrost almost wished he hadn't said that out loud. Seng couldn't be more than 20 turns himself, and Elrost almost wished that that didn't matter.

Sure. He, personally, didn't care, and sure, he was trying to avoid thinking about any potential with the incredibly cute blue rider walking next to him. But perhaps by telling Seng that he'd been a crafter almost as long as the rider had been alive, would ruin any chance of the secret desires that the beast crafter was trying so hard to squish out of sight.

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 01:56:36 PM »
“Your whole life? That’s quite impressive.” Wide-eyed and admiring, Seng actually meant it. He’d always had a certain respect for Crafters anyway, and those who had devoted their lives to one thing they loved seemed amazing to him. There had never really been one thing he’d been expressly good at or interested in. And he’d sort of fallen into being a rider by accident. No matter Essora’s assurance that it was in his blood, that it suited him, Seng had always wondered what life would have been like if he’d taken a different path. Not that he loved Forrikenth any less, or regretted Standing and Impressing. But for someone to choose to spend their whole life working toward one thing… that took a certain will he just wasn’t sure he had.

“I’ve only ever been a rider,” he found himself saying. Why did that make him self-conscious? “But my birth parents were too. So I guess it runs in the family.” Glancing at Elrost again, he smiled some. “I think it was good of you to follow in your father’s footsteps. Keep the Craft alive. You know.”

Shards, why had he said that. Did it seem patronizing? He hadn’t meant it to. Seng cleared his throat. “Sorry. I mean, you must know a lot about the different beasts and everything. I can’t even imagine how I’d remember all the things Crafters know and keep them all sorted.” Great, now Elrost was going to think he was scatter-brained.

Drawn by his rider’s unease, Forrikenth focused his awareness just enough to ask about it. Are you alright?

//I’m fine. Just making a mess of this conversation.//

Family Adoptables

Offline Elrost

• Herdbeast Motherer
    • View Profile

• He/Him/His
  • turns old
  • hall-less-crafter.png
  • Harrier
  • Bonded to one wher(s)
  • Ellsk
  • Inki
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 04:00:09 AM »
"No no no." Elrost said earnestly, stopping Seng with a hand on his arm. "Don't apologise. That's uh, well, you're exactly right. On both counts." His eyes were slightly wide as he was was honestly surprised that Seng understood so easily, so quickly. "That's what keeps me going, knowing that I, and a choice other few, are keeping our beasts and our craft alive. And yes." He continued with a half smile creeping across his face, "I suppose I do know quite a bit about 'the different beasts and everything.'"

He realised that he was touching Seng, and quickly moved his hand away, Elrost wasn't supposed to go around putting his hands on strangers. Sure, it was just the blue riders arm, but lots of people didn't like to be touched, especially by people they had just met, Elrost didn't want to go alienating the rider already!

Remembering that Seng had talked about being a dragonrider running in the family, Elrost realised that it would be rude to ignore his statement. He had just felt like he really needed to make Seng not be so worried. Starting to walk again, continuing their journey into the Weyrhall, Elrost spoke, "Well without dragonriders where would Pern be? Sure," he gestured in the direction of the herdbeast pens, "I look after them, but they wouldn't even be on this island without you all. I think you have a lot to be proud of."

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »
It surprised Seng when Elrost laid a hand on his arm, and it made his heart beat faster, but it wasn't unpleasant by any means. The man's hand was warm -- he could feel that even through his clothes and leathers, and abruptly Seng wondered what those fingers would feel like on his skin. Which made him blush all the more. Faranth, what was happening to him?

He almost got lost in just watching Elrost's expression, but dragged himself back into the conversation with difficulty. Especially given his embarrassment at his own rambling and lack of eloquence. But he felt slightly less so when the Herder confirmed his own motivations for entering his Craft. And that he felt as though he was keeping it alive just as Seng had said. So at least, maybe, he hadn't taken those words patronizingly.

But the Blue rider did drop his gaze briefly when Elrost echoed his words. Was he being teased? Or was he just reading too much into it? He couldn't tell.

"Oh. Well." Seng fell back into step with him when he started moving again. "Thank you. None of us would exist without all of you, though. Which I think a lot of riders sometimes forget." Almost murmured. "But without everyone else, there's not much worth protecting."

Family Adoptables

Offline Elrost

• Herdbeast Motherer
    • View Profile

• He/Him/His
  • turns old
  • hall-less-crafter.png
  • Harrier
  • Bonded to one wher(s)
  • Ellsk
  • Inki
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 07:42:27 PM »
Elrost was getting… well… it was safe to say he was getting a little distracted. Every time Seng dropped his gaze, the beastcrafter wanted to put a finger under his chin and bring his eyes back up to look at him.

But he was going to control himself, because he was a grown goddamned man and wasn’t going to get all tied up just because he ran into someone cute. Right?

Harrier chirped overhead in a tinkling cackle, which almost sounded like a laugh. That Gold was far too intelligent for her own good.

“I agree, there’s a lot worth protecting now.” Don’t stare for too long. Don’t get lost in Seng’s eyes. You just said something a little too intense. Look away. Don’t. Okay. Look away.

So he dropped his gaze away from Seng. He didn’t want to be freaking the blue rider out with his craziness. They just met. So yes, he was incredibly cute, but Elrost has no idea anything about him, neither did he have any idea whether or not he would be interested in someone like him in return.

“So um. Earlier you mentioned your birth parents? Is that because you were raised in the crèche or?” He wasn’t exactly sure how it worked. Elrost knew that was a common choice for dragonriders, and he didn’t begrudge them that, but he hadn’t heard anyone use that terminology before, it sounded like something different for Seng.

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 04:35:57 PM »
“Oh!” After the seriousness—even heaviness—of the previous portion of their conversation, Seng was more than happy to seize upon something a bit more lighthearted. And while he had lost his parents, it wasn’t a wound that he felt particularly keenly. Time and distance had done wonders for it, especially since he’d never known them particularly well in the first place. It had affected his older brother Settang far more than it had him.

“I did spend a lot of time in the Creche when I was younger, but that’s more because my adoptive mother works there. She was friends with my parents.” Self-consciously, Seng tucked a lock of his dark hair behind one ear. “They were both dragon riders, and she’d lost a child, so… they all agreed that she would raise me.”

There was more there that he could say, but it was the sort of information that was far too personal for Seng to feel comfortable revealing it so soon. Namely, the reason that Essora had adopted him but not Settang or Nettanya. Why she and his parents had felt it would be to his benefit to be raised by someone that understood his particular… quirks.

They’d reached the Weyr Hall by then, slipping in by one of the entrances. Even this early, it was already crowded and loud with the chatter of people eating after their duties were done for the day. “Um.” Seng glanced at Elrost and then motioned toward the line of people waiting to get a pass at filling their own plates. “Shall we?”

Family Adoptables

Offline Elrost

• Herdbeast Motherer
    • View Profile

• He/Him/His
  • turns old
  • hall-less-crafter.png
  • Harrier
  • Bonded to one wher(s)
  • Ellsk
  • Inki
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 08:39:42 PM »
"That's very kind of her. I think that's an incredibly noble thing to do. I'm not sure there's too many others who have a heart big enough for that kind of thing." Elrost's own mother had died when he was young, but they had carried on as a family without her, the youngest of the lot, their family hadn't suffered too much for it, just the heartache.

His stomach grumbled a little, as Seng reminded him where they were, and Elrost grinned sheepishly at the audible sound. "I think that's definitely a yes."

The muscles in his leg spasmed, as he took a step into the threshold of the Weyrhall, but he tried to keep a grimace from his face, hoping that the hand that went down to his thigh to rub at the muscle wasn't too obvious as they joined the line of people.

The pain from it would pass soon, every now and then, the muscles simply had to protest. Being attached to a bone that was no longer the correct length was not exactly easy for them. At least they hadn't gotten stuck. It seemed that when the bone healed, the process must have left a part hanging out, so occassionally, Elrost had to hobble to the healers in excruciating pain, and hope that whoever was on duty had good enough hands to massage it back into place.

Harrier swooped in over their heads, going to land on a table on the far side of the room where she could observe the goings on of the hall, and probably where she was expecting the two of them to eat together. Ellsk loped in too, and Elrost quickly removed his hand from his thigh, snagging it around her neck when she looked like heading underneath the tables and riffling between the legs of the folk sitting around. "I'll get you some food. You don't need to go eating scraps, go to Harrier. No." He said when Ellsk went to cock her head at him and widen her eyes. "Go to Harrier."

It didn't take long for the green to give up in the fight of wills against Elrost, and she happily loped over towards the table where Harrier was. "I hope you don't mind if we sit there." He said to Seng, a hand coming up to rub the back of his neck a little awkwardly. He didn't want to just assume and make all the decisions, but it was simply easier to give Ellsk an explicit instruction that she could stick with.

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »
“I suppose I’m biased in saying so, but I think she’s lovely. She’s never been anything but kind and nurturing to me. And all the other children she oversees in the Creche.” Seng could sing Essora’s praises all day, despite the fact that he knew she would just blush and wave off his praise, as was her modest and humble way.

Not wanting Elrost to be embarrassed when his stomach growled in hunger, Seng just returned his smile. “I’m starving too. Been a bit of a long day.”

It seemed to be ending on a much better note, though. So long as Elrost didn’t come to his senses and realize Seng was fumbling through the conversation, he supposed. He caught a hint of Forrikenth’s amusement at him again, and brushed it off with an internal huff. It wasn’t his fault that the Journeyman was so damn attractive.

Since he was paying such close attention to the man, he did notice the twinge of a grimace as they stepped into the Hall, but didn’t comment. Seng wasn’t sure if it was polite, exactly, and he didn’t want Elrost to think that he was fixating on his injury. He did keep an eye on him, though. Embarrassment or not, that wouldn’t stop him from offering to help him if it seemed he needed it.

And when Ellsk showed herself, he smiled. The little Green really was just too adorable. “I don’t mind at all.” Stepping up in the line, Seng selected one of the plates so that he could serve himself from the food that the kitchen staff had laid out. All of it smelled delicious. “There’s not a particular place I usually sit, beyond with my Wing, I guess… So I’m partial to wherever.”

Family Adoptables

Offline Elrost

• Herdbeast Motherer
    • View Profile

• He/Him/His
  • turns old
  • hall-less-crafter.png
  • Harrier
  • Bonded to one wher(s)
  • Ellsk
  • Inki
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 03:01:30 AM »
"A long day then? Are drills always challenging?" He was mostly curious as to how it worked, he understood that there were wings, sure, but he had never really bothered to catalogue their particular roles, just the faces of the people that he would specifically have to deal with. Being the Journeyman of the Herdbeasts, not only did the day to day care fall to him, but, along with the other few Journeyman, they were constantly cataloguing and calculating growth curves, telling the Weyr if they were going to be low that season, and some dragons might choose to make other arrangements, or if, they would be able to spare a few for a special occasion.

Elrost always tried to make do. Whilst he didn't particularly enjoy watching them head off for the slaughter, he had started his education as one who helped to bring life into the world, not rear it to be taken, he didn't really have a choice anymore. It was his duty, to Pern, to Southern Winds, to everyone.

The pain from his leg did not pass, but he pushed the thought to the back of his mind, leaving it like a dull throb, but not a piercing pain any longer. It enabled him to step forward, grab a plate, and enjoy the smell of the delicious foods. Capers and lean greens, seeded breads and salted fish, just the kind of hearty meal one could eat at the end of a long day, and feel full without overindulging.

"Good, good. I'm glad." He said in response to Seng's answer, leading them over to the table Harrier and Ellsk had claimed. Unlike the long benches of the main tables, these smaller ones near the edges had individual bench chairs, sure, two small girls, or a loved up couple could probably squeeze themselves on one side, but they were designed for one.

Elrost couldn't help but pull out the bench for Seng, gesturing for the blue rider to sit before he did. It was only polite of him to do so.

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 06:42:03 PM »
The smell of all the food laid out before them made Seng fully aware of just how hungry he was, so he was grateful to fill up his plate as he and Elrost made their way down the line of what was being served. At his question, he was rather thoughtful. “The drills themselves aren’t so bad, because they’re things I’ve been doing for a while. They’re really just meant to keep us fit, to make sure the memory of formations doesn’t fade, and to train the younger riders.” Faintly, he grinned. “The rest of the work is the hard stuff.”

Once they’d both loaded up their plates, Seng followed Elrost over to the table that the man’s fire lizard and wher had claimed for them. The Blue rider blushed some when the Herder pulled out the bench for him, the gesture making his heart flutter in a way that had Forrikenth laughing happily inside his head. Murmuring a soft ‘thank you’, he set down his plate and cup of water and took a seat.

The prospect of having Elrost so close had the color staying in his cheeks, and Seng had to do his best not to fidget. He wasn’t entirely successful, distractedly tucking another lock of hair behind his ear again as he waited for the other man to take a seat next to him.

To fill the silence, he added, “Anyway, my Wing does a lot of maintenance chores and fishing. Things that the other Wings don’t necessarily have time to do. Plus it’s good practice for those who haven’t been riders very long. Exposes them to a variety of different responsibilities.”

Family Adoptables

Offline Elrost

• Herdbeast Motherer
    • View Profile

• He/Him/His
  • turns old
  • hall-less-crafter.png
  • Harrier
  • Bonded to one wher(s)
  • Ellsk
  • Inki
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 07:57:13 PM »
"Ah." He said, listening intently to Seng's words as the herder took the seat beside him, trying not to think about really how much he enjoyed their close proximity. Harrier twittered at him disapprovingly, and sent him a thought which reminded him very much of time, and how short it was, accompanied by an image of a candle, lit yes, but only slightly melted. Which was her perhaps more obscure way of telling him, 'Take it easy. You haven't know each other for a very long time at all.' At the end of her disapproval Elrost also caught the glimpse of a pretty woman flicking her skirts at him, which he took to mean, 'Beauty isn't everything.'

But the Beastcrafter couldn't help but think that in that entire chastisement Harrier never specifically held any bad thoughts or feelings towards Seng specifically, just Elrost's insistence on acting like a green in heat.

He took her point.

"So a very important wing then? You train the newly graduated and you do everything that the others don't have time for?" That's how it seemed to Elrost at least, he had always thought that Jungle got all the glory, not that he blamed them. Hunters were terrifying things, and those that put themselves in their way everyday were either stupid or brave, and perhaps many Jungle riders were both. But personally, he much preferred how Prairie Wing sounded, it seemed like a much more suitable and respectable wing to him.

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 10:17:53 PM »
Despite himself, Seng couldn’t help but grin at the praise. “If only more people felt like that. Most of the time, my Wing is regarded as… well. Full of hopeless cases and riders who aren’t very skilled.” Sighing faintly, Seng absently looked down at his plate. “Prairie is often times a stepping stone to the other Wings. Most weyrlings, once they’ve graduated, don’t want to stick around—because it’s seen as somehow being a failure or inept.”

There was a spark of passion there, maybe even anger, though it was subtle enough Elrost might not notice it. But Seng felt very strongly about his Wing and what they did. Why they existed—no matter what others, particularly those in Jungle, might think of them. “Much of the time, it seems like most don’t think we do anything important at all. Or that we just sit on our hands all day and don’t know the sky from the ass end of a dragon.”

That drew another blush from him, and the Blue rider ducked his head some in embarrassment. “Sorry. I just get tired of listening to a lot of other riders insulting us sometimes.”

Family Adoptables

Offline Elrost

• Herdbeast Motherer
    • View Profile

• He/Him/His
  • turns old
  • hall-less-crafter.png
  • Harrier
  • Bonded to one wher(s)
  • Ellsk
  • Inki
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 03:58:11 PM »
Elrost made a dismissive sound. "Hopeless cases? Full of riders that have the ability to train newly graduated Weyrlings to be good enough to go into those other wings?"

Honestly, he thought that all dragonriders had important roles to play. They could do things that no one else on Pern could do. They could travel leagues in seconds, trawl for more fish than the fishercraft had ever been able to pull for themselves, and hold together the island under onslaughts of Hunters and Beach Snakes and River Snakes.

Why should it matter if some went into the Jungle and others trained people to do so?

Elrost couldn't help but feel... angry at the idea of other riders insulting Seng. He admired the Weyr system, but there was a hierarchy which couldn't be denied and it was a shame that even here, where they all had to work together, that it had to be conveyed to the wings too.

"No need to be sorry. I understand. It'd be like the Harpers trying to tell me that all I do is sit in a field and stare at herdbeasts all day. You know what Prairie does for the Weyr, and it's a shame that not enough other people know that too."

Offline Seng

• Proud Prairie Rider
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
    they/them/theirs

• turns old
  • blue-rider.png
  • of Forrikenth
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2017, 12:38:34 AM »
Blushing though he was, Seng felt vindicated when Elrost didn’t seem to think him silly—nor agree with the sentiments about his Wing that so many held. Even, sometimes, non-riders if they were particularly opinionated or happened to be family with riders that were and held such opinions. So the Herder’s response coaxed a smile from him. “It’s a lot more than people think,” he concluded, which was as close as he’d ever really get to praising himself directly.

And really, it was everyone in Prairie, especially those older riders who had the experience and teaching capability to be of real, significant use. Seng did his best to help out where he could, and it was something both he and Forrikenth enjoyed, but he knew he still had a lot to learn about teaching the next generation of riders.

“We do spend a lot of time drilling outside chores, though, yes. Even riders who will never fly Threadfall need to know how to do the formations, which is why it’s reinforced so heavily. It’s a way to make sure no one forgets for future generations.” Lifting his glass pensively with both hands, Seng took a sip from it. “And they’re good exercise, besides. Though Threadfall drills aren’t the only ones we do.”

Family Adoptables

Offline Elrost

• Herdbeast Motherer
    • View Profile

• He/Him/His
  • turns old
  • hall-less-crafter.png
  • Harrier
  • Bonded to one wher(s)
  • Ellsk
  • Inki
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 12:25:47 AM »
That was a sobering thought to be sure. Elrost supposed that he knew it, but it hadn't really been something he had really acknowledged before. Thread was gone for now, to be sure, but riders still learnt the drills, still practiced flaming, continued to work every day as if thread could be back in a moment's notice.

Those alive now all believed they wouldn't see thread again in their lifetime but... what if?

Elrost cleared his throat and just tried to ignore the thoughts that the statement had triggered in his mind. Instead, turning his concentration back to Seng just in time to hear his final statement.

"Well what other drills are there? I suppose Jungle are the only ones to get hunting drills? Or does everyone learn everything, and only specific wings act upon it?"

OOC Recent

[November 23, 2017, 08:25:08 PM]

[November 23, 2017, 08:22:14 PM]

[November 22, 2017, 05:34:29 PM]

[November 20, 2017, 09:44:14 PM]

[November 20, 2017, 11:06:36 AM]

[November 20, 2017, 11:02:56 AM]

[November 20, 2017, 10:37:49 AM]

[November 18, 2017, 02:46:37 AM]

[November 17, 2017, 06:06:41 PM]

[November 16, 2017, 10:11:11 PM]

[November 15, 2017, 04:41:43 PM]

[November 15, 2017, 12:55:33 PM]

[November 14, 2017, 05:24:38 PM]

[November 13, 2017, 03:41:35 PM]

[November 13, 2017, 12:51:42 PM]

Open Threads

If you have any open threads that aren't listed, let us know.
In-Depth Character Prompts - For SOLO Threads

Don'tcha Just Hate It When... - 21.06.2589 x Seaphonellqua

Just Teasing - 01.09.2589 x Nishi

Death by Boredom - 32.10.2589 x Callista

Klah and Long Nights - 23.01.2590 x Isotarïne

In the Radiant Sun - 15.03.2590 x T'lor

Three Cheers to Sweet Isolation - 17.03.2590 x Penderton

Napping on a Wher - 18.03.2590 x Sarinea

Coryza - 20.03.2590 x Vanelwynne

Now It's a Party! - 07.04.2590 x B'lye

Dragon's Dance - 08.05.2590 x Bekareni

Evening Showers - 11.05.2590 x K'ran