Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Check out the Monthly Overview to see what's new on the forum!

Guest Info Plot & Events

Current Month
4.2590 A.R.
9th Interval

Southern Winds has plotted events roughly every 4 or 5 OOC days. This means our story is ever evolving and Southern Winds is changing. Events for the current month are listed here, once you've registered for an account.

Our roleplay time is pretty fluid. We allow you to play anything that may have happened in the past, but not in the future, as events that may affect the entire weyr may ruin futuristic plots.

We list Flights, Clutches, and Hatchings for both Dragons and Flits here, as well as whers.  There are Candidate events and classes and Crafter plots. A little bit of something for everyone.

See previous events here!
 photo OOCChat_zpseb6e942b.png
Feel free to say hello, guesties! Registered members can request a unique colored name here.

photo voteforus_zps4dda9678.png
Click on the following to place your vote for us. Daily clicks would be fantastic!

Shadowplay Topsites Top RP Sites

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

http://southernwindsweyr.net/Images/news icon copy.png We are a mature, 9th Interval AU Pern. We've destroyed almost the entire planet in a catastrophic event. While we feature 2 new mutations, we stick pretty close to canon. We've Ranks, roles, and positions for just about anyone who wants to get involved, with a relaxed community. Play and post at your own pace. Swing by and say hello!

Registration?
Southern Winds uses a subaccount system to distinguish between Players and their Characters. So REGISTER with your Player Account Name and the admin will assign you your Character Subaccount once your character is approved!

Southern Winds is a Mature Roleplay. This means we allow for sexual, violent content that would be found in a struggling, 9th Interval Pern. Sex is common place in the Weyr and terrible deaths are no stranger here. As such, our players should be 18+. These themes are to be handled maturely at all times.

Regards,
Southern Winds Weyr

Author Topic: [20.05.2590 | 1:30pm] Singing with Flits ( Open )  (Read 170 times)

Offline Lokin

• Life doesn't ever stop, but you can find joy!
    • View Profile

• She/Her
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Bonded to two firelizard(s)
  • Ilassa, Kalix
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
[20.05.2590 | 1:30pm] Singing with Flits ( Open )
« on: April 12, 2017, 05:44:34 PM »
It was mid day, and the blonde haired candidate moved into the meal tables, carrying plates. She'd been assigned to helping with the food for the day, and oddly, Lokin didn't mind. Neither did the two flits. Both who were back in the kitchen stealing food, no doubt. Lokin did her best to control the little creatures, but they were brats. Lokin felt hungry, but there was no hurry. She'd get to eat once she was done serving. And then it was off to class.

The sounds of the Weyr eating was, oddly to Lokin, comforting. She was in no hurry to become a rider, quietly wishing for a gold but never saying it. The riders, candidates, weyrlings and any holders still around moving and making noise were actually wonderful to see and hear. As a former Harper, Lokin enjoyed music, and had a talent for picking it out. In this case, there was a bit of a beat to it, and she found herself instinctively moving to the beat her trained ear had picked up.

She put the clean plates on the tables before whisking herself back to the kitchen. She caught sight of her pale gold flit for about half a second before the flit went Between, a rather large (for her) roll in her mouth. Lokin eyed that spot before moving to start cleaning some dishes. She enjoyed the sounds of the kitchen. It was warm here, and safe. Plus she'd get to eat later, which she liked, because she didn't want to deal with the huge group of people. Not that she didn't like them, but she preferred an instrument between them and herself. She'd been so looking forward to becoming a Harper for real. Now... now she was still settling into being a candidate.

Lokin was sent off with a plate of food after she finished with the dishes for the moment. She whisked it away with a jug of water to a more relaxed corner away from the noise, but just close enough to still hear it. With two "pop"s her two flits appeared near her head, the queen settling on her shoulder the brown near the plate.

"I didn't get that for you, Kal."

With practiced movements she brushed the fat flit away from her food, getting a squeek before he climbed up her arm to her other shoulder. She sighed as she started to eat, leaning back in the chair and tasting each bite. It had been a long day so far, and she really was glad for the break. Lokin was always happy to help out. There were moments when she'd rather do something more, but that wasn't always needed. For now she had to learn, and understand more before she could really try to do anything more.

Lokin hadn't noticed she was humming until her flits both started to coo softly. She got fully distracted from eating with that, humming and waiting for a second for one of her friends to answer back in their own version or even new riff. It was fun, and she got fully engrossed in it. It was hard at times to remember she was no longer a harper.

Offline Ysveta

Re: [20.05.2590 | 1:30pm] Singing with Flits ( Open )
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 05:45:16 PM »
Ysveta was idly walking around the meal tables collecting plates and mugs, if anyone took more than a second to notice her, they may have thought that her pattern of walking was a little strange, she was walking to the beat, the beat of a song which she was slowly composing in her head.

But was jolted from her thoughts by a voice, a beautiful one, with a lovely firelizard harmony. Ysveta herself had stayed away from the creatures, while she appreciated their ability to harmonise on the fly, but it messed up her composition.

Many times before at the harper hall, Ysveta had not so kindly asked people to remove their flitters from the room she was composing in, as they had the annoying habit of continuously making up their own harmonies, usually in contradiction to the more unique ones in her head.

This was different however. Ysveta was not a harper anymore, and therefore she didn't have deadlines, didn't have exams to do, wasn't getting marked on her compositions, so the little trio that she heard softly didn't bother her, in fact, it intrigued her.

"You make a beautiful trio." She said kindly to the fellow candidate

Offline Lokin

• View Profile

• She/Her
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Ilassa, Kalix
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 05:45:50 PM »
Lokin found herself getting lost in the music again. She loved music. It was a way to escape, and a comfort when everything changed like it was doing in the last few months. The fact that her family hadn't reached out, or at least hadn't noticed her absence didn't help. Sure she'd never really gotten along with her father, fearing him in fact, or her Sister, but they were family. She doubted they'd ever come to her Standings. So for now, she enjoyed her little family of herself and her flits.

The final note was sung out by Ilassa and Kalix, his deeper tone harmonizing with her higher pitch. It was pretty, in Lokin's mind, though it could be fixed with a third voice. She was about to try to join when she heard a voice that she vaguely recognized. Her head turned from her flits to the girl standing near them. Raven black hair, and pale skin. She knew her.

"Thank you... Ysveta? I didn't realize you were here as well!"

The blonde girl stood up, with a quick smile, oddly greatful to meet someone she had known in her past. With her back turned, both flits quickly stole some of the food on the plate, happily munching away at meat or grapes behind Lokin's back.

Offline Ysveta

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 05:46:30 PM »
"Yeah, Lokin, correct? I remember you from the harper hall."

It was... nice, to see someone from the harper hall. It wasn't like she wanted to go back there, not really, she did think that this was the right place to be. Think being the important word. Ysveta couldn't be certain about anything, not when she didn't work to get there, but it felt right at least.

"I have only been around here for around a turn. When did you get searched?"

Grinning at the firelizards, she continued, waving a hand at them. "They are cute. Do you sing with them frequently?"

Sitting, she gestured to Lokin to sit down again next to her, the Weyr hall wasn't packed yet, and if they were truly needed, Ysveta was sure that she'd get hollered at anyways.

Offline Lokin

• View Profile

• She/Her
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Ilassa, Kalix
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 05:47:16 PM »
Lokin smiled at Ysveta. Another musician. That was wonderful. And someone she recognized. Lokin relaxed a little into her seat. Lokin felt comforted to find another Harper among the Candidates. Lokin wasn't sure she'd want to go back just yet, but Harper Hall had been the first place she'd felt like she was home, and safe, since her mother's death. A quick nod was all that she considered needed for a response.

"A few months ago. A bit of culture shock and early lessons. I didn't even get to stand yet. Next time, I've been promised."

Lokin smiled a little with amusement. She was glad that the attention was turned to her flits. Ilassa moved forward to sniff at the human as her's sat down next to Ysveta. The queen was small for queens, but that didn't stop her vanity. She was glad for the relaxing really. They needed. Everything was so hectic lately.

"I do. Privately really. Not everyone at Harper Hall wanted to hear them chime in. They enjoy music as much as I do though."

Lokin was always happy to wax on about her family. The brown flit landed, having taken off to go steal food, on Lokin's lap, a warm roll in his mouth. Lokin sighed and took the roll from him, pulling off peices.

"You could just tell me your hungry, you little beast."

Her tone was fond as she fed him a piece, the queen quickly coming close, the idea of warm bread more exciting than the new human.

Offline Ysveta

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 05:48:10 PM »
"I completely understand. It was quite a shock, very different from the harper hall, but oddly the same." She shrugged, picking up a piece of food to try and entice one of the firelizards towards her. Ysveta wasn't really sure how the creatures worked, would they want to pay interest to someone that wasn't their bonded? Do they get offended if they're hand fed?

"Standing is... very interesting. It is quite a surreal experience. Oh!" She remembered some of the other things which had shocked her when moving into her new position. "And touching a dragon for the first time. I do not think I will ever forget that day."

Ysveta gave her attention back towards the Queen again, even though the little firelizard had moved her attention away from herself and back towards Lokin. "I apologise, I do not seem to remember their names." She gestured at the two flitters on the table.

Offline Lokin

• View Profile

• She/Her
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Ilassa, Kalix
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 01:12:55 PM »
Lokin smiled a bit as Ysveta seemed to relate. Maybe Lokin wasn't as alone as she felt at times. Of course that was partially her fault, and she was well aware of it. She hoped she'd be allowed to continue helping the Harper Hall as she waited to be Chosen by a dragon. Though she was alright helping in other places as well.

The little brown noticed Ysveta's hand out and quickly (for his size) moved to take it from her, licking her hand before returning to the warm bread Lokin was busy piecing out. The little queen didn't fully give her attention to Ysveta. Didn't mean she didn't care, just that she was a little wary of new people.

"I'm excited to try."

Lokin had heard stories. She hoped that next time there was a clutch she'd be able to stand. The secret love of dragons she'd carried with her her entire life was finally able to be not so secret. Not that she'd heard from her family about it, and her sister worked in the Healer Hall! Lokin refused to think farther about it, and smiled.

"That is Ilassa and he is Kelix. Go on you two."

She held out the half of the roll to the other girl, smiling. She motioned for her fellow harper to take the roll. Even if the girl hadn't liked flits before, no doubt her ideas had changed about them since becoming a candidate. Much of what Lokin had learned so far was similar to how one deals with flits. Oiling, for instance, was no different, beyond size, and feeding, well she did her best to feed her flits meat, but they enjoyed other things, and Lokin didn't doubt dragons were that much different.

"Do you ever miss the Hall?"

Offline Ysveta

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 06:53:02 PM »
Truthfully, Ysveta liked flitters, she had just never liked them in her professional harper environment. But these two seemed nice enough removed from that, she wasn't composing, she didn't have a lot of time to be composing whilst a candidate, so she didn't have much reason to have them disturb her work anymore.

"It should not be too long now. Kalestath's clutch will be hatching in a month or so, and we will have the egg touching in a few sevendays. Are you up to date with your lessons? I am sure O'sir will try to get you on the sands if he can."

Ysveta took the roll with a smile, and held it out to Kelix, "There you go, handsome."

Pausing for a moment, Ysveta thought about Lokin's question, musing over it. "Do I... miss the hall? I do not think so. I miss composing, I miss the opportunity to do it all day everyday, but the hall in general? The people? The life? No. Looking at the dragonriders, and my mother, I definitely feel like this is where I should be."

OOC Recent

[Today at 02:22:47 PM]

[Today at 05:59:14 AM]

[May 21, 2017, 10:57:18 AM]

[May 21, 2017, 05:37:32 AM]

[May 20, 2017, 07:42:52 PM]

[May 20, 2017, 03:49:47 PM]

[May 20, 2017, 03:46:27 PM]

[May 20, 2017, 03:38:00 PM]

[May 20, 2017, 02:11:36 PM]

[May 20, 2017, 10:06:16 AM]

by Kit
[May 20, 2017, 09:23:42 AM]

by Kit
[May 20, 2017, 09:20:55 AM]

[May 20, 2017, 02:04:11 AM]

[May 19, 2017, 07:00:51 PM]

Open Threads

If you have any open threads and you'd like them listed, let us know.
In-Depth Character Prompts - For SOLO Threads

Don'tcha Just Hate It When... - 21.6.2589 x Seaphonellqua

Just Teasing - 1.9.2589 x Nishi

Death by Boredom - 32.10.2589 x Callista

Weyrling Shenanigans - 5.1.2590 x Weyrlings

Sunbaking - 15.1.2590 x W'um

Klah and Long Nights - 23.1.2590 x Isotarïne

Sun and Sarcasm - 13.3.2590 x B'lye

Breakfast Delivery - 15.3.2590 x K'eeda

In the Radiant Sun - 15.3.2590 x T'lor

Three Cheers to Sweet Isolation - 17.3.2590 x Penderton

Napping on a Wher - 18.3.2590 x Sarinea