Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: Most of the site is visible to guests, though we do have a Member's Only forum and an IC Cbox that becomes available once you join!

Guest Info Plot & Events

Current Month
8.2590 A.R.
9th Interval

Southern Winds has plotted events roughly every 4 or 5 OOC days. This means our story is ever evolving and Southern Winds is changing. Events for the current month are listed here, once you've registered for an account.

Our roleplay time is pretty fluid. We allow you to play anything that may have happened in the past, but not in the future, as events that may affect the entire weyr may ruin futuristic plots.

We list Flights, Clutches, and Hatchings for both Dragons and Flits here, as well as whers.  There are Candidate events and classes and Crafter plots. A little bit of something for everyone.

See previous events here!

Feel free to say hello, guesties! Registered members can request a colored name here.

Remember,
this holds no IC consequence and is only for fun.

photo voteforus_zps4dda9678.png
Click on the following to place your vote for us. Daily clicks would be fantastic!

A Gift of Dragons Shadowplay Topsites Top RP Sites

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

http://southernwindsweyr.net/Images/news icon copy.png We are a mature, 9th Interval AU Pern. We've destroyed almost the entire planet in a catastrophic event. While we feature 2 new mutations, we stick pretty close to canon. We've Ranks, roles, and positions for just about anyone who wants to get involved, with a relaxed community. Play and post at your own pace. Swing by and say hello!

Registration?
Southern Winds uses a subaccount system to distinguish between Players and their Characters. So REGISTER with your Player Account Name and the admin will assign you your Character Subaccount once your character is approved!

Southern Winds is a Mature Roleplay. This means we allow for sexual, violent content that would be found in a struggling, 9th Interval Pern. Sex is common place in the Weyr and terrible deaths are no stranger here. As such, our players should be 18+. These themes are to be handled maturely at all times.

Regards,
Southern Winds Weyr

Author Topic: In the Dark of the Night [35.06.2590 | 9.00pm] || Open  (Read 362 times)

Offline Tayvelle

In the Dark of the Night [35.06.2590 | 9.00pm] || Open
« on: June 13, 2017, 12:53:15 AM »
Spoiler for OOC:
I’m making shit up. Call me out on it. Or join in. Whatevs. I’m not so good with ideas…

9pm was usually the time most of the weyr started getting ready for lights out, but for Tayvelle, it was just one of those nights where she was tasked with keeping an eye on the flock with Tavlesk beside her. It was tiring work. They weren’t meant to sleep when they had a shift, and the coolness of the night wasn’t always enough to keep you from wanting to curl up near the feeding troughs just to catch a few zees. Since moving to Southern Winds, they didn’t have nearly the same problem with folk trying to get their hands on one of the flock’s outlying members. It was hard to hide things when dragon’s kept watch. Even still, it was a good habit to get into, and taught perseverance and responsibility. Many a woolbeast had been saved by a midnight herder catching the first signs of illness in the dead of night, or when a ewe was having difficulties in her labour. Besides. It meant she’d not have to worry about too much the following day. They were always given a day off after night shift to recuperate so long as there were no emergencies.

So, with Tavlesk by her side and a blue flitter trying very hard not to fall asleep as he clung to her shoulder, she found herself doing a circuit of the woolbeast pens in an effort to stay as alert as possible. She wasn’t one to slack off, and she’d be spewing if anyone were to come out and find her sleeping when she was supposed to be watching over the flock, so walking in circles and speaking softly to the creatures gave her something to focus on and minimized the chances of her bodyclock winning over and forcing her to have a snooze.

There were no pressing health issues with any of the flock at that time, though Tayvelle gave Tavlesk hi shead to creep among the beasts and check them over with his own senses, even as she kept her ears open for any sounds of distress. Blue had succumbed to the motion of Tayvell’s swaggering stride and was chirping softly as he slept, claws gripping tightly to the fabric of her shirt even as the rest of his body just flopped over her shoulder. A few of the beasts were reaching the end of their usefulness, and while their wool would be missed, their inability to have safe, healthy lambs thus providing more beasts and milk for the following season meant that they’d soon be taken into the feeding pens for the weyr’s dragons.

It wasn’t the most comforting thought, and Tavlesk’s chatter turned scolding as he picked up on it, ever the champion of keeping woolbeast’s until they died of natural causes based purely on the fact they were his beasts. His mindvoice stiffened suddenly, however, as they neared the fence, and Tavlesk stopped in response, squinting through the darkness to try and catch sight of what was now making her great, bronze beasty growl almost inaudibly. She clicked her tongue quickly, an odd, bouncing noise that would be hard to notice if you weren’t listening for it, leaning forward slightly and bringing her hand up so it was level with her shoulder, fingers splayed as she told her bonded verbally and physically to stop.

“I may not be able to see very far without glows, but Tavlesk doesn’t have the same problem. Best you introduce yourself all nicelike before I send ‘im in after ya.”

Offline Janna

Re: In the Dark of the Night [35.06.2590 | 9.00pm] || Open
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »
"Janna! Of the harper hall! Don't set your wher on me!" Janna called out nervously and she quickened her paces towards the woman and wher. She stumbled slightly on a clump of dirt and grass at her quickened pace and ended up taking an awkward hop to avoid landing completely on her face.

Once stable on her feet, she gave a perfunctory nod of greeting and was glad that the darkness covered her burning cheeks.

She could see now that the young woman that was threatening her was really not that much older than she was. It was hard to see much of anything out here in the dark, and the woman was right. The wher probably noticed her long before and only tensed when it noticed that her path was coming towards the heard.

"Do you always threaten bodily harm on those that are walking by?" Janna asked, trying to put forward an air of calm indifference, that she was also sure wasn't working out so well. She chanced a glance past the pair at the wool-beast she had actually been here to see, but she could not see so well around the bulk of the wher. She took a step to clear her line of sight around the wher and the turned to look back at the woman. "Well. I told you my name. What's yours?"

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:35:50 PM by Janna »

Offline Tayvelle

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 05:17:05 PM »
“Well get on then. Lurkin' in shadows is a good way to get yerself in the shit.” Tayvelle called back in response, telling Tavlesk to sit and heel as they waited for Janna to step closer.

While he didn't move from his ordered stance, when Janna stumbled, the bronze growled menacingly, all his attention focused on the stranger as she approached. When she greeted them, he did calm somewhat, though the red didn't quite leave his eyes.

Quite contrary to the disapproval from both Tavlesk and Tayvelle, Blue, having woken now that the rocking motion had stopped, unfurled himself slightly, eyes an amusedd green as he trilled a greeting to the young girl, a close approximation of his bond with Tayvelle pressed against their bond innwhat the young woman had managed to translate previously to mean friend!

“’course we do. What of it?” She retorted, ignoring the blue's excitement and instead addressing the harpers question.

She didn't manage to get to introducing herself though, tutting when the girl moved to the side and caused Tavlesk to return to a standing position, head lowered and growling with greater volume than before.

“Do ya bloody research before comin' gallavanting around out here at night- where'd the harper hall find you?” She was moving closer, grumbling herself more than actually talking to the other apprentice. “Sharding dimglow's are gonna get themselves killed.- Com'ere”

Tavlesk had remained where he was, and Blue was chirruping merrily despite his bonded's irritation, but Tayvelle herself had gotten close enough to reach out and grab Janna's arm, trying to yank her closer to the Red-eyed wher.

“Tavlesk is gonna need you to come closer. If I'm with ya, he won't hurtcha. But if ya must get closer to the woolbeast yer gonna hafta let him get a good looksie.” She growled by way of explanation, trying to manhandle the harper close enough for Tavlesk to catch her scent as well as a better idea of her heat signature.

“Tavlesk. This is Janna. She's a –“

FRIEND! Blue interrupted with an excited trill, the myriad of images and emotions that meant “friend” pushed into Tavlesk's head as well as Tayvelle’s.

Tayvelle, meanwhile, grunted in annoyance before continuing “- friend. She'll not harm ‘em”

Her tone was matter of fact, though the glare she offered Janna as she added the last bit would be unmistakeable. She wasn't one to lie to her bonded, and wouldn't let a kid prove her wrong.

Tavlesk eased up slightly at Tayvelle's words, though he was sceptical  as she got close enough to catch a scent- even with his not-so-great nose. It was her voice and heat signature that he would rely on the most, and so long as she made no moves towards the woolbeast until he was satisfied he knew her, he wouldn't move to prevent her getting closer.

Spoiler for Hidden:
@RedShoesWrites   Hope that works for you. If you're uncomfortable with any of it please let me know and I'll adjust

Offline Janna

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 05:16:08 AM »
Janna’s attention wavered from the woolbeast as she looked back up at the woman and then at the now standing wher. Her lips tugged up sheepishly. “Research is what I am trying to do,” she admitted half-heartedly, and she was pulled closer to the hulking head of the wher.

“And, I’m not a dimglow!” she protested as she came to stop in front of the wher, glancing from the behemoth, and back to the woman. “I’m just... a new harper. That’s all.”

Raising a hand in front of herself in a small wave, Janna nodded her head nervously at the wher who was now close enough to snap her in two with a well-placed bite. Or so it seemed to Janna, who was still rather short. “Hello. I’m sorry I snuck up on you.” Janna said apologetically. “Thank you for not attacking me. I just got it into my head...,” she paused.

“Well, maybe it was a stupid idea,” She sighed, and turned slightly away from the Wher again so that she could better address the woman, and her eagerly chirping flit. Drawing in a quick breath of air in order to speak quickly, she started to explain herself.

“I wanted to see if woolbeast actually did sleep standing up,” she stated matter of factly. “There was a woman, maybe another heard crafter like you, who told someone who was with her at dinner that if they didn’t go to bed soon they would fall asleep on their feet like a woolbeast. I’d never heard that phrase before!

The harper I am apprenticed under. Well, she says that we should always try and confirm things through first-hand experience! And I have never seen the woolbeast at night! So, I just thought…” Janna trailed off, biting her lip and glanced back fully at the wher. “I didn’t stop to think about who might be guarding the woolbeast. Again, I am sorry that it seemed like I was trying to sneak up on you!”

Eyebrows drawn together, Janna glanced between the three that were staring her down. “But now that I am here, do woolbeast sleep standing up?”

Spoiler for @kyya:
It was perfect.! Thanks Worked well for the reasoning I had come up with for going to see the woolbeast. :bird:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:21:22 AM by Janna »

Offline Tayvelle

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 04:41:00 PM »
With arms crossed and a frown on her face, Tayvelle wasn't making it any easier for Janna as she chatted away. Blue was eager enough, though whether he helped the situation at all was yet to ne seen.

Tavlesk grumbled as he reached out with his head to sniff the offered hand, ambling around her slowly without paying much mind when he brushed against her – thankfully without enough weight to do much damage, though his tail lingered around her ankles for a moment more before he returned to Tayvelle's side, back on his haunches and mental chatter once more playing through his bonded's head.

He was simply reiterating Janna's presence, though his eyes shifted to a pleasant blue even if he didn't move to reassure the other apprentice himself. Tayvelle stood still for a moment longer, very clearly looking the girl up and down before offering a smug smile and a hand.

“Tayvelle, Tavlesk, and Blue” she offered by way of greeting, nodding at her wher and jabbing a thumb at the baby firelizard on her shoulder. Once the hand was shaken, she would lean against the wher as one would a close friend, about as relaxed a position as she cared to take up now that she knew the woolbeast would be fine.

“Could've come a bit earlier or tracked one've us down. Make things easier for all of us.” She retorted, condescendingly, though it was perhaps without as much heat as would be expected. She enjoyed a good fight, but the girl was proving difficult to bait, and it was a lot of effort and not alot of fun to keep pushing when they just sort of... rolled over.

“They can do, yeah. Prey animals'll do that. Let's ’em run away quicker.” She whirled around then, clucking her tongue and watching as Tavlesk moved towards the fluffy beasts. “The one that Tavlesk just passed, he's awake and watching... see?” the beast bleated softly as Tavlesk's tail brushed against him, shifting away though it was less a nervous motion than just habit. Most of them had known the wher a long time... they did not fear him unless he was trying to get them moving in one spot.

Tayvell leaned around, pointing out a small group and gesturing Janna closer.  “Those guys are sleeping. Just a little dragon nap for now, but they're pretty comfortable since we're here and they're not on the outskirts, which is why they're lying down, and those two over there are taking turns watching.” She explained, Tavlesk already snaking his way around the group with all the attention in the world, going as far as to touch noses with one of the sentries and huff gently at her.

“There are a few groups that'll lie down. But many of ‘em'll remain upright. This lot over ‘ere are dozing, though you’ll see ‘em stir when Tavlesk gets up to ‘em until they recognise him. He usually-“ she smiled as the wher hummed, a low, gravelly sound from deep in his chest, the woolbeast fidgeting less when he got near “-Yeah. Like that. So they know it’s him.”

She was smiling when she gave Janna her attention once more. She may have had dreams of becoming a Courser one day, but only because it would give Tavlesk a break from watching the woolbeast during the day... and who didn't want a giant deathbird by their side?

“Holder's never cared much ‘bout sustaining the stock we got to carry us through the pass... Sometimes a hankerin' for something other than fish ‘n tubors brings ‘em around here – to see if there’s one that won't be missed – so we gotta be alert, see?” with Tavlesk wandering among the beasts, and someone to chat to, there was no concern about falling asleep at their post, so it was an easy enough thing for Tayvelle to start properly talking without worrying that her charges would come to harm.

Offline Janna

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 04:11:04 PM »
"Nice to meet you all," Janna replied to the brief introduction, nodding her head to each in turn.

Janna listened carefully as Tayvelle explained what each one of the groups of woolbeast were doing and nodded at all of the appropriate spots. Now that the other woman was talking it was quite obvious that she cared deeply for her craft, and was knowledgeable too! She grinned as she watched the wher hum at the woolbeast that had been sleeping. She had shared rooms with others that were not that considerate.

As Tayvelle explained why they were on watch at night, Janna found herself nodding in agreement. Janna could see why the holders might get it into their head to try and take a woolbeast. “I sometimes get bored of fish and tubers, too,” Janna agreed with a small sigh.

And then she paused, eyes widening and she realized what she said, her head whipping around to look up at Tayvelle.

“That’s not why I am here though! I am not scooping out your woolbeast,” she exclaimed. “It really was just to see if they sleep standing up.”  Janna gave a nervous laugh and shrugged her shoulders helplessly. “Thank you for telling me about them. I don’t think I ever realized the woolbeast were smart enough to figure out that they should take turns on who sleeps though. That is pretty neat.”

Looking away, Janna eyed up the closest woolbeast to them, which Tayvelle had indicated was watching them. “Do you think I could pet one of them? Do they like that?”

Upon finishing that last question, Janna stifled a yawn and took a quick glance across the bowl, towards where she knew the crafter and holder caves were, even if she couldn’t see that far through the dark. “Sorry,” she said through a secondary stifled yawn. “I am normally getting to bed by now,” she said as she glanced back at Tayvelle. “Are you the one that is out here every night, though? When do you get to sleep if you are on night watch?!”

OOC Recent

[Today at 07:24:34 PM]

[Today at 05:26:09 PM]

[Today at 09:00:49 AM]

[Today at 02:43:14 AM]

[Today at 12:28:24 AM]

by Kyya
[September 18, 2017, 10:58:52 PM]

by Kyya
[September 18, 2017, 10:40:07 PM]

by Kyya
[September 18, 2017, 10:37:31 PM]

[September 18, 2017, 08:20:03 PM]

[September 18, 2017, 08:00:42 PM]

[September 18, 2017, 07:27:24 PM]

[September 18, 2017, 07:03:04 PM]

[September 18, 2017, 06:31:43 PM]

[September 18, 2017, 05:26:09 PM]

[September 18, 2017, 04:10:50 PM]

IC Recent

[Today at 10:26:48 AM]

[Today at 10:16:27 AM]

[Today at 01:00:24 AM]

[September 18, 2017, 07:42:36 PM]

[September 18, 2017, 04:51:15 PM]

[September 18, 2017, 03:30:27 PM]

[September 18, 2017, 02:04:07 PM]

[September 18, 2017, 07:36:52 AM]

[September 18, 2017, 05:38:07 AM]

[September 18, 2017, 05:23:20 AM]

[September 18, 2017, 12:18:01 AM]

[September 17, 2017, 06:56:22 PM]

[September 17, 2017, 01:24:39 PM]

[September 17, 2017, 08:49:25 AM]

[September 16, 2017, 10:31:35 PM]

Open Threads

If you have any open threads that aren't listed, let us know.
In-Depth Character Prompts - For SOLO Threads

Don'tcha Just Hate It When... - 21.06.2589 x Seaphonellqua

Just Teasing - 01.09.2589 x Nishi

Death by Boredom - 32.10.2589 x Callista

Klah and Long Nights - 23.01.2590 x Isotarïne

In the Radiant Sun - 15.03.2590 x T'lor

Three Cheers to Sweet Isolation - 17.03.2590 x Penderton

Napping on a Wher - 18.03.2590 x Sarinea

Coryza - 20.03.2590 x Vanelwynne

Now It's a Party! - 07.04.2590 x B'lye

Dragon's Dance - 08.05.2590 x Bekareni

Evening Showers - 11.05.2590 x K'ran