Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

Required Reading
links to read before you join

Ic Info
Character information, Applications, and Adoptables

Bestiarum
The notable fauna of SWW

OOC Extras
Fun things around the forum to wittle at time between posts or links to OOC info

A comprehensive list of links to all our info

Guest Info Plot & Events

Current Month
7.2591 A.R.
9th Interval

Southern Winds has plotted events roughly every OOC week. This means our story is ever evolving and Southern Winds is changing. Events for the current month are listed here, once you've registered for an account.

Our roleplay time is pretty fluid. We allow you to play anything that may have happened in the past, but not in the future, as events that may affect the entire weyr may ruin futuristic plots.

We list Flights, Clutches, and Hatchings for both Dragons and Whers here, though not for firelizards.  There are Candidate events, Weyrling classes, Holder plots, and Crafthall developments -- a little bit of something for everyone.

See previous events here!

Feel free to say hello, guesties! Registered members can request a colored name here.

Remember,
this holds no IC consequence and is only for fun.

photo voteforus_zps4dda9678.png
Click on the following to place your vote for us. Daily clicks would be fantastic!

Pernese Online A Gift of Dragons Shadowplay Topsites Top RP Sites

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

http://southernwindsweyr.net/Images/news icon copy.png We are a mature, 9th Interval AU Pern. We've destroyed almost the entire planet in a catastrophic event. While we feature 2 new mutations, we stick pretty close to canon. We've Ranks, roles, and positions for just about anyone who wants to get involved, with a relaxed community. Play and post at your own pace. Swing by and say hello!

Registration?
Southern Winds uses a subaccount system to distinguish between Players and their Characters. So REGISTER with your Player Account Name and the admin will assign you your Character Subaccount once your character is approved!

Southern Winds is a Mature Roleplay. This means we allow for sexual, violent content that would be found in a struggling, 9th Interval Pern. Sex is common place in the Weyr and terrible deaths are no stranger here. As such, our players should be 18+. These themes are to be handled maturely at all times.

Regards,
Southern Winds Weyr

Author Topic: Private Typical Bad Luck [ 2.7.2590 / 8PM ] || Haithen  (Read 868 times)

Offline T'ghen

• Quiet & Intense
  • Don't you have anything interesting to say?
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • black-weyrling.png
  • of Sinestath
  • Bonded to two firelizard(s)
  • Benden & Aivas
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
Typical Bad Luck [ 2.7.2590 / 8PM ] || Haithen
« on: September 14, 2017, 10:15:10 PM »
So much of the last few days had been little more than napping, stuffing Sinestath full of food, and making sure he stayed oiled. It left T’ghen feeling vague and hazy, which was very much not a sensation he enjoyed:  for someone who thrived on clarity of thought, the sheer amount of Sinestath’s experiences that bled over into his own was… taking some getting used to. All of it was things he’d been told as a Candidate, but with most things there was a vast difference between hearing about it and actually experiencing it first-hand. So that evening when Sinestath had seemed more interested in going outside to explore the Weyr Bowl just beyond the barracks, he’d seized on that chance. Potentially having to socialize was not high on his list, but it was a price he was willing to pay if it meant he got to be awake a little while longer.

The Weyrlingmasters had made it clear that much of the first month would be this, and tending to the Black’s every need. And he was a needy little thing, even for all his arrogance and self-assurance. He was still a baby, fresh out of the egg. As much as T’ghen wanted him to be immediately the hulking, sleek creature he’d dreamed of—one that would secure his place in Mountain Wing’s future—Sinestath had to get bigger first.

Slinking along in front of him, the Black was happy enough to be outside, with his rider with him. He wasn’t quite running, and he wasn’t frivolous enough to cavort, but he was enjoying the feel of the grass on his paws and the chance to let his wings flare out a little bit and drag on the soft earth without fear of anyone stepping on them. As voluminous as they were, T’ghen was waspish and territorial of his dragon’s space—far more than Sinestath himself was, firmly of the opinion that he was not as delicate as he looked. But if he suffered a wing injury now, his rider felt, it would only make his dreams all the more distant and unreachable.

He didn’t like that either.

A part of him had been hoping in a way that he might run into Haithen. He knew that the other weyrling practiced with Saissith in the evenings. But with as tired as his own dragon had been the last few nights, he hadn’t been able to see her. Particularly when Sinestath was adamant that T’ghen not go anywhere without him. So when he felt his dragon’s attention pulled by something in the distance, and looked up to catch sight of Haithen’s pretty Green, he couldn’t obscure the bolt of recognition. Which prompted Sinestath’s curious question of, Who is that?

//A…// Well. He could hardly really say what they had once been to each other. So T’ghen ultimately settled on, //friend//. Which made Sinestath glance back at him with eyes bright with amusement.

A friend? I didn’t think you had any. So he trotted closer, social as you please, and thrummed a happy, Hello to Saissith.

Not the way he had wanted to start this exchange, but T’ghen supposed it was the fastest way to introduce his dragon.

It was just typical, really, that he had Impressed so soon after Haithen’s Green had risen.

Spoiler for OOC:
@SanctifiedSavage Going through checking off things I need to start, and this has been on my list for ages.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 02:07:45 PM by T'ghen »

Sinestath | 10 Months Old | 21.24M Long | 5.34M Tall | 39.6M Wingspan

Offline Haithen

Re: Typical Bad Luck [ 2.7.2590 / 8PM ] || Haithen
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 11:11:27 PM »
Haithen was definitely feeling the pressure. Only a handful of months would pass before graduation and, well, anything could happen then. Ideally, he wouldn’t end up in Prairie Wing. That was all he was hoping for. Not to be put in the training wing.

Which meant not letting up in their practices in the evening. Socializing be damned. Haithen’s future felt like it was looming all too quickly on the horizon and would soon be crashing down around them.

Saissith was just as focused. She understood just how important this was to Haithen and made no complaints when he insisted, time and time again, they practice a particular maneuver so they had it just right.

They were in the midst of doing just that when she received the greeting from Sinestath. It didn’t cause her to break her concentration, but she did bank her turn and come to a gentle landing sooner than she would’ve otherwise.

Saissith knew T’ghen. Haithen blinked as he regarded the other... Rider. It took him a moment to process that, yes, T’ghen had impressed. That the little Black trotting toward them was invariably his.

Hello, she crooned back, eyes a mellow green as she regarded the smaller dragon.

Haithen slid off of his own and offered the little Black a smile before he looked toward the Rider. “It’s... It’s been awhile. How have you been?”

Length: 20.2M | Height: 4M | Wingspan: 35.5M

Offline T'ghen

• Quiet & Intense
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • black-weyrling.png
  • of Sinestath
  • Benden & Aivas
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 11:34:56 PM »
Sinestath was delighted when the older Green shifted her flight path to land with her rider. There had always been the chance, as far as he knew, that she might greet him but continue on with what she was doing—extra training? So once Saissith had landed, the little Black strode forward with all the confidence he usually held. He saw no reason to be embarrassed or unsure about this meeting, despite the slight wariness he could sense from T’ghen. If anything, he just chalked it up to his rider’s apparent inexperience with friends.

I’m Sinestath. Settling closer to Saissith, but still at a distance that wasn’t overly familiar, he flared his pale wings proudly. My rider tells me that he is friends with yours. Perhaps she would sense the slightly amused way he said it. Either way, the tiny dragon was determined that he would smooth this over so that it wasn’t awkward. Whatever might be between T’ghen and Saissith’s rider, his own bonded could deal with. But there was no reason he couldn’t be friends with the Green too. It’s nice to meet you.

T’ghen just watched as Haithen slid with practiced ease off of Saissith’s shoulder—and tried very hard not to think about all the things he was going to be missing for the next two turns. There would be time enough to make up for all of it later. Having his own dragon was worth it, even if Sinestath wasn’t… exactly… what he had expected. “It has. I’m… fine.”

Small talk had never been his forte.

Lifting a hand, he indicated his dragon with a faint gesture. “I’ve been hoping to see you since the Hatching. This is Sinestath.”

Offline Haithen

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 11:46:10 PM »
Saissith settled on her belly, wordlessly letting Haithen know that she wouldn’t be whisking him away from this conversation. It also put her at a better height to talk to the smaller dragon. She never saw any need to posture and even lowered her head to be level with him.

I’m Saissith and that is Haithen, she greeted, then further explained, They are close friends. Whether it was because she knew that he was young or because she didn’t know of any other way to phrase it, that seemed the best explanation. She thrummed when he said it was nice to meet her and her eyes lit up just a little more. It’s a pleasure to meet you too. Normally she’d have been shy, but someone so connect to a person Haithen knew? Hardly.

Haithen fretted over the stray wisps of hair that had freed itself from his braid, feeling all at once dirty and anxious to be standing in front of T’ghen. Not that it made any sense to. When he said he’d been hoping to see Haithen, that actually gave him pause. “Ah, you have?” Then he smiled a little at the Black and nodded. “Sinestath? I’m sure my Saissith has already told you my name. It’s nice to see you close up. I was in the stands for the hatching.” For that, Haithen shot T’ghen a glance.

Not like he’d miss something like that.

Offline T'ghen

• Quiet & Intense
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • black-weyrling.png
  • of Sinestath
  • Benden & Aivas
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 01:40:35 AM »
It might have upset another Black or a Bronze when a larger dragon lowered themselves to their level, but Sinestath was just pleased to get a better look at Saissith. It didn’t even enter into his thoughts that it mattered he was smaller; he had just hatched a few days prior. Of course he was tinier than a nearly fully-grown Green. Despite how much time T’ghen had spent almost bickering with Sinestath about his size and gangliness, the young Black simply didn’t have the ability to feel self-conscious about it. Not when he was firmly determined that he would be everything his rider mysteriously wanted, and more.

T’ghen would have to realize that and admit he was right eventually. It was a day Sinestath would look forward to, and relish when it arrived.

For now, though, he was content to sit with Saissith while their riders talked. Close friends? That did surprise him, and he glanced at T’ghen to study him a moment before looking back to the Green. The deep purposefulness of his voice was belied somewhat by his amusement. I’m glad he has at least one, then. I did not think he had any before me.

“Of course. You are… important to me.” Which was about as close as T’ghen ever got to saying he cared about anyone. It annoyed him more that the words came out slightly awkward. But it did please him some to know that Haithen had been at the Hatching, even if he hadn’t seen her. Not that he could be blamed—the entire experience had been a chaotic one, and honestly, Impressing to Sinestath had been less so than the initial hatching of the exuberant and deadly Reds.

One upside to Sinestath’s naturally social nature was that T’ghen didn’t have to prompt him to greet Haithen. Instead, he simply flared his wings again, as though inviting both her and Saissith to recognize how pretty he was, and thrummed a happy greeting. Hello, Haithen. You must be very special if T’ghen likes you so much. Why that might be wasn’t really important to the Black. All that mattered was that if Hiathen was important to his rider, she was to him too by association—and Saissith as well.

Such blatant tipping of his hand had T’ghen scowling slightly at Sinestath. //You don’t know what you’re talking about.//

But his dragon was unperturbed. You’re allowed to like people, T’ghen, if they aren’t stupid. That’s how you make friends.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:21:32 AM by SirAlahn »

Offline Haithen

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 01:59:48 AM »
Saissith thrummed with amusement at the little Black. She thought he was quite adorable and thought as much to her Rider. I often find it hard to think about a time before me when it comes to Haithen too. He says ‘such things don’t matter anymore’. she said, conversationally and relax. Her own wings were near touching the ground as she settled, content for the moment to allow Haithen the time to reconnect with T’ghen.

Haithen actually giggled at the little Black, but it wasn’t a mocking sound. Rather, he found the tiny dragonet quite cute and immediately decided he agreed with Saissith’s assessment. How T’ghen had ended up with such a social creature was beyond him, but Haithen immediately thought it’d probably be good for him.

“It’s nice to hear that T’ghen likes me so much,” Haithen teased softly, whatever tension he’d been feeling – that he’d not been aware of – leaving him. Not even T’ghen’s scowl at the little dragon dimmed his smile. Instead, Haithen closed the distance, though stopped himself from reaching out to him.

Funny how things worked out, sometimes. “I’m glad you seem to be doing well, though. And your dragon.” He added gently. “I’m glad you impressed.”

Offline T'ghen

• Quiet & Intense
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • black-weyrling.png
  • of Sinestath
  • Benden & Aivas
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 03:10:56 AM »
It wasn’t in draconic nature to nod, but Sinestath hummed a note of agreement to Saissith. T’ghen seems to think his past matters very much. Which was not to say that it didn’t he supposed, since that was what had ultimately led them to one another. But Sinestath was far more interested in what the future would hold for both of them, rather than the things his rider wanted to dwell on. Haithen and Saissith mattered because they were present right now. And whenever they interacted in the future, the same would be true. But for the tiny Black, nothing else much mattered beyond his rider.

There was nothing distressed about his train of thought, though. He simply knew that T’ghen was wrong, even if his rider might take a long time in admitting. So he was equally as relaxed as Saissith as he sat in the grass with her.

But he did purr again at Haithen. Very much, he confirmed, and T’ghen knew he wasn’t imagining the hint of smugness he felt through their bond. So he very pointedly ignored it. Already he was learning that the arrogant little Black could be a trying companion.

Adapting to all of it was going to be… interesting.

But Haithen did not seem displeased with what Sinestath had revealed, so he supposed it wasn’t disastrous. And when she stepped closer, he had to clamp down very tightly on his own self-control to avoid touching her. Subtly, his fingers twitched with the desire to do so. But he shoved the thought away again before it could even full form, and Sinestath either didn’t notice or didn’t care.

“Thank you.” The appropriate thing to say. And T’ghen’s eyes flicked briefly to Sinestath and then back to Haithen’s face. “He is not what I expected.”

Telling another rider that he was even mildly displeased with what he’d bonded to did not seem wise. But Sinestath was not what he had pictured for himself. Hopefully that would change with time.

Offline Haithen

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 03:37:07 AM »
Saissith continued her low thrum, the sound akin to a soft purr. Not loud enough to bother the Rider’s conversation, but still present in a calming way. Perhaps it does because you’re still young and this is all new. There was some adjustment for Haithen and I when we were growing together. Learning new things all the time.

Having a dragon confirm things that seemed so long unspoken between T’ghen and himself, now suddenly out and aloud, was just... surprising and, frankly, amusing. It seemed the little dragon was not only more social, but certainly more expressive.

Whet T’ghen admitted that the Black wasn’t what he expected, Haithen couldn’t help but laugh. It was a soft sound, though. “I imagine so. He’s already revealed more in the first moments I’ve known him then you have in... well, how long have we known each other?” He said it without accusation, just a simple statement. Then, because he felt the need to comfort T’ghen, Haithen added, “Saissith was an adjustment too. She was.. very shy. Very demure. She still is, around strangers.” He glanced at Sinestath. “Well. She doesn’t really consider him a stranger.”

Offline T'ghen

• Quiet & Intense
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • black-weyrling.png
  • of Sinestath
  • Benden & Aivas
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 09:25:10 PM »
Saissith’s thrum was a welcome noise to Sinestath, who answered it with a purr of his own. He was pleased at the chance to interact with the dragon of someone who his rider didn’t immediately disregard or view with suspicion. T’ghen always seemed so guarded, and judgmental—and while Sinestath agreed with that assessment for those who might think less of them, or challenge them (such as the fat Brown he had fought with upon hatching), he found it simply… unnecessary for interactions with those who were perfectly pleasant. Like other Blacks, or even Reds.

He was steadily finding that Greens—at least this one—were included in that number.

So he quietly agreed with Saissith’s assessment. I’m sure soon he’ll forget what things were like before me. Ever with the same confidence and self-assuredness he always had. But with another happy thrum, he added, Save the things and people that are still important.

It was heavily implied that Saissith and her rider were among those.

Whereas with others, T’ghen might have thought they were laughing at him and his tiny, underwhelming dragon, the sound of Haithen’s voice was… welcome. A reminder of a time long past now, and perhaps some tantalizing glimpse of the future. Things had already changed for them, and no doubt only would again. Haithen would soon be starting her life as a full rider, and T’ghen was just beginning his career as a weyrling.

He always seemed to be a step behind.

Even so, an expression hovered around his eyes that was, well… not a smile, but about as close as he ever got to one. “Three turns,” he answered quietly. “Almost four.”

How quickly time had gone by.

His gaze flicked to the two dragons for another moment, watching them in silence. Finally, perturbed at himself because he wasn’t sure what else to say, he settled on, “I’m glad she doesn’t consider him a stranger.” And then all the weight of his attention was on Haithen again. “I hope I won’t be one to you either, even if we are at very different stages of our lives.”

It was something he’d had to accept over the last few turns, and this had changed nothing. Haithen had her own life to live; and no matter how much T’ghen might want to possess her wholly, completely, he simply couldn’t. But he thought he could be content if she would allow him to be a part of her life now.

That had always been something to the allure of her sweet submission to him, all those turns ago. Ultimately, Haithen still had to make the choice to surrender control. And this might not be a form of surrender, exactly, but it was still her decision.

Offline Haithen

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 09:40:05 PM »
Saissith flared her wings in a gesture of amusement. Haithen adjusted well enough, she said by way of reassurance. I’m certain your T’ghen will have no problems either since he has you. Saissith nudged her snout a little closer, eyes shifting a brighter green as her voice pitched a little higher in playfulness. Sometimes I think they would be lost without us. Said like a secret but she included Haithen and T’ghen in the teasing thought.

That only made Haithen smile all the more. “Almost four,” he agreed, not saying anything about what his dragon had just shared. “And I think we’ve shared enough that it’d be hard to consider you a stranger unless you wished to be one, T’ghen.” He said it casually, like they were talking about oiling their dragons and not something meaningful.

That was all belied by the fact Haithen glanced away, watching his dragon. The smile was still there though. “He is adorable. And good for you, I think. Really good for you.” Haithen glanced at T’ghen then, an almost sly, playful look. “Try not to be too hard on him, hm?”

Offline T'ghen

• Quiet & Intense
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • black-weyrling.png
  • of Sinestath
  • Benden & Aivas
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 09:54:08 PM »
Now that was a bit of praise that the little Black happily absorbed, flaring and then settling his wings again as he scooted closer to Saissith too. Clearly, she’d seen the things that even his own rider had not, in that T’ghen needed him. That he would be able to rely on him in a way that he never quite had anyone else in his life.

I see why you like them, he decided, placing his approval upon the pair just as neat as you please with the weight of that comment dropped in his rider’s head.

To Saissith, then, he rumbled a noise that was almost a laugh save for the slow drag of it like tide on the shore of the Cove. You should have seen him when I found him, he began, but for his very serious-sounding teasing, there was an unmistakable amount of pride that this one was his. No one else’s. All covered in red and looking sour. He needed me and didn’t even realize it. Just as the Green had, he didn’t bother to shield his thoughts from their two riders. Which earned him a sharp glare from T’ghen, but didn’t dissuade Sinestath whatsoever.

With as little as they’d seen of each other since Haithen’s Impression, part of T’ghen had worried that her answer would be other than what it was. But something clicked into place with what she said, despite the apparent flippancy of it—belied by her glance away at Sinestath. A certain rigidity that he didn’t realize he’d been carrying in his spine melted away, and T’ghen reached up to tuck a lock of hair that had slipped from Haithen’s braid behind her ear without any feeling of guilt or discomfort.

The contact only lasted a moment. It would be indecorous and presumptive of him to extend it now that he had a young dragonet who could be confused by such things. But the previous, lingering taste of dissatisfaction he’d been carrying since Sinestath’s hatching dissipated with the knowledge that Haithen thought the Black was good for him. That he shouldn’t be too hard on him.

Quiet a moment, T’ghen studied the pale little creature just as Haithen had. He could sense a drive in Sinestath much like his own; directed, he felt he could use it to still achieve the things he wanted… once he made the Black understand why they were important. Just as he had readily accepted that Haithen and Saissith were.

So as much as he could, with his own exacting and perfectionist nature, he promised, “I will try.”

Offline Haithen

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 10:09:31 PM »
Saissith thrummed softly, amused at the little Black and rather enjoying the conversation. Apparently, she got along quite well with the mutations. At least, of the Black variety. Saissith could not remember what Haithen was like when she’d impressed him, as that was simply far too long ago for draconic memory, but she knew that he’d been someone else.

Haithen, himself, reiterated that often enough. That she’d changed him for the better.

He will, soon enough, she cooed, confident it would be so.

When T’ghen fixed Haithen’s hair, he watched the other weyrling a moment. Not intense, nor curious, but with a sense of familiarity. They were hardly strangers to one another, after all. Haithen watched T’ghen study his own dragon with a faint smile, saw him mull over the words.

It’d be an effort, Haithen knew, to get T’ghen to relax. He wasn’t sure the man ever had. Not that it was necessarily bad, either. “It’s not like the entire weyr will be watching to see what you and he do.”

Offline T'ghen

• Quiet & Intense
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • black-weyrling.png
  • of Sinestath
  • Benden & Aivas
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 10:31:35 PM »
I’m sure he will. Sinestath was already convinced that he was right, though he did enjoy having the older Green back up his own thoughts on the matter. He just has the habit of being weird about things he doesn’t need to be. Even if he didn’t understand the whole history behind T’ghen’s friendship with Haithen, that didn’t matter. He liked her? Enough said, as far as the Black was concerned.

Why T’ghen might have struggled saying so for almost four turns—a length of time he couldn’t even fathom in a meaningful way—he did not understand at all.

T’ghen’s glance at Haithen then was sharp, but not disapproving. She was speaking the truth, he knew. “I met one of the Black riders in the class above mine at the Hatching,” he reflected, and his tone would readily indicate that he was less than pleased with said meeting. “M’lan. I do not know if the other two are like him, but if they are, I’m not surprised the Weyr isn’t impressed.” Though, admittedly, that had more to do with the rider himself than the color of his dragon, so it was not a clear correlation.

“History is filled with instances of people mistrusting what they do not understand.” How well he knew that from the records he’d once kept, including those that had distrusted AIVAS and even the new Crafts—like Printing—that had once again been lost to the Pass almost as soon as they’d been rediscovered. “They can watch all they like. Sinestath and I will give them something to see.”

Say what he might in his own head about how Sinestath looked, how narrow he was, how… weak and fragile he seemed. But anyone else that spoke badly of his dragon, T’ghen was determined he would prove wrong. Youngest rider in Mountain Wing was an ambition most would think impossible. But regardless of what path life took them down, T’ghen was determined he could correct its course with enough time and effort.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 02:06:48 PM by SirAlahn »

Offline Haithen

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 02:13:46 AM »
Haithen was quite attracted to Taeghen… or rather, T’ghen… when he projected that cool, calm, confidence. A true shame he was newly impressed indeed.

Instead of doing anything untoward, Haithen settled his hands in his lap and smiled more so. “I’m sure you two will give them plenty to see. And I’ll have plenty to be proud of.” That much was true. Haithen couldn’t imagine that T’ghen would settle for anything less that what he wanted – the best – for himself.

Saissith bobbed her head a little, a draconic nod, before she thrummed happily. I think it is a common trait that our Riders share. All we can do is help them be more forthcoming. An amusing thought considering that Sassith herself could be as shy as he was.

Haithen did shrug a shoulder a little and ask, sweetly, “What are your plans for the future? I’m sure you already have everything mapped out.” It might have been patronizing to anyone else. To T’ghen, it was certainly a compliment.

Offline T'ghen

• Quiet & Intense
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • black-weyrling.png
  • of Sinestath
  • Benden & Aivas
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 03:08:41 PM »
T’ghen was not a sentimental man, but something in him enjoyed hearing Haithen say she would be proud of them. No matter that he felt unequivocally that they would deserve it. Coming from another, under different circumstances, it might have sounded condescending. From Haithen? It never would. Just as much as he wanted to succeed out of principle, for himself and Sinestath, to prove the traditionalists wrong, he also wanted to for a chance to hear her repeat that again.

Answering the Green with a thrum of his own, Sinestath cast a glance at his rider. We’ll make both of them proud, he declared firmly, as though there was any doubt that Saissith’s approval would mean just as much as Haithen’s. Then, directing his voice to Saissith again, he asked, Are you and your rider as ambitious as mine? That would go a long way in explaining why T’ghen was fond of them in the first place.

He nodded in response to Haithen’s question, tucking his hands behind his back to resist the very real urge to touch her while they talked. “I do.” It was needless to add that he had spent a lot of time thinking about it. That was just how T’ghen was, and Haithen certainly knew it.

“I do not want to be relegated to Prairie Wing upon graduation.” That was not something he would ever accept. “I intend to aim for Jungle, but will settle for Beach for a time if necessary. Some turns to hone our skills, and then I will apply for a transfer to Mountain.” Stating it so simply made it seem easy. T’ghen knew it wouldn’t be, and relished the challenge as much as Sinestath did, though the little Black didn’t fully understand what it would all entail—just that if T’ghen was eager for it, so was he.

Actually shrugging slightly, he added, “Beach is not a place I would normally see myself, but the more diverse experience, the better.” It would certainly make him more attractive as a hopeful for Mountain.

Offline Haithen

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 10:51:43 PM »
Saissith contented herself with watching the little Black and her Rider’s conversation. It was nice when he could socialize. While they worked very hard, it was nice to take some breaks. Even if it was just for a moment. At the question, Saissith answered soft and sweet, I want Haithen to achieve everything he wants. Our eyes are set on Jungle Wing, which means we must practice and train every day so that we will be worthy. While she would not think it a failure if they didn’t, Saissith was whole-heartedly supportive of her Rider’s ambitions – even if they were not her own.

Hearing T’ghen’s answer, Haithen couldn’t help but smile more so. To hear that he wanted Jungle Wing, though. That was a bit of a surprise. But, then, Mountain? Clearly T’ghen had already thought about this, so he didn’t want to question why. That would seem like T’ghen didn’t know what he was doing. Instead, Haithen said, “If… we can ever do anything to help you, be sure to let us know. Training, questions, drills…”

Haithen didn’t want to come across like he was better than T’ghen – that was hardly the case – but he did have an older dragon. If there was anything they could do to help, though, Haithen wanted to.

Saissith echoed the sentiment, quietly thrumming.

Offline T'ghen

• Quiet & Intense
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • black-weyrling.png
  • of Sinestath
  • Benden & Aivas
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 04:50:55 PM »
Sinestath took a moment to absorb that, giving it the due thought he felt it deserved. As young as he was, he didn’t quite understand the distinction between the Wings—save that his rider looked unfavorably on Prairie and thought about Mountain quite a bit, even in the few days since Sinestath had hatched. He’d taken that goal to heart, but was still learning exactly why T’ghen wanted it. As far as the young Black was concerned, he could better push them toward it if he really understood the impetus behind the want.

What will you do in Jungle once you’re there? he asked next. It didn’t occur to him to doubt that they wouldn’t make it. With as highly as his rider seemed to think of them, Sinestath saw no reason to believe they would fall short of achieving what they wanted. But there was no self-consciousness in the question either, nor any condescension. He knew he had things to learn, and he wanted to hear from the Green herself just what placement in that Wing would entail.

T’ghen nodded slowly, appreciative of Haithen’s offer for what it was, rather than being insulted by it. He knew better than to think that she was insinuating he was less than capable. “Thank you, Haithen.” As much as he’d been keeping an eye on her, he knew how hard she and Saissith had trained in preparation of their hope for Jungle. There would be no one better to learn from, he thought. “I will appreciate your guidance.” Will, not would—he fully intended to take advantage of that offer.

Offline Haithen

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 06:27:35 PM »
The question was an easy one for the Green to answer. Not only because it was something both she and Haithen had discussed, but because dragons could be gossipy even around those they didn’t know. Saissith knew what the dragons in Jungle Wing did because she’d been around them – and because her Rider had studied the Wing and their responsibilities. We’ll be hunting along with the rest of the Wing. Chasing wherry out of the jungle and diverting the attention of hunters away from wingmates. She flared her wings a little. While the idea of being bait, as some had put it, was a bit nerve wrecking, she was bolstered by how much they were preparing. That was the point of training after all.

If not Hunters now, it would’ve been Thread during the Pass. It wasn’t that Saissith didn’t understand, or feel, fear, just that she recognized that the Weyr would not function if every dragon didn’t pull their weight and do their part. Fear or otherwise.

Haithen smiled a little more at T’ghen’s thought out answer, then fussed with some of his loose hair. Tucking it back. There’d be no hope of getting it in a braid at the moment. “We’re usually out here... Before it’s time for weyrlings to retire. I don’t want to push the weyrling master too much, nor do I want to stay up too late. It’s a tiring life as is.” Then, glancing at Sinestath, he asked, “How are you adjusting?”

Offline T'ghen

• Quiet & Intense
    • View Profile

• he/him/his
  • turns old
  • black-weyrling.png
  • of Sinestath
  • Benden & Aivas
  • SirAlahn
  • Thread Tracker
  • Plotter
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 06:56:08 PM »
Sinestath flicked his tail idly while he listened to Saissith. Hunting sounded great to him—getting to prove that he was just as capable of fighting as he thought he was, even though that fat Brown had sat on him when he hatched. And it would prove to T’ghen that he wasn’t delicate or fragile, which was a worthy enough reason already, as far as he was concerned.

But the other part, he had no knowledge of. He knew in a vague way that the Hunters were a threat; T’ghen had answered his questions as best he could when the topic had crossed his mind and gotten Sinestath’s attention. But there was only so much guidance he could give on that subject. It wasn’t exactly in his wheelhouse. What is a Hunter? he asked then, briefly glancing from Saissith to T’ghen and then back again. He’s told me some, but he’s never seen one himself. He just assumed that Saissith had.

“I’ll remember that.” It would be good to know when and where to get ahold of Haithen. Though they might still both be weyrlings for a few months together, their schedules were sure to be widely different. But beyond learning, T’ghen would also take an excuse to spend time with her. They had more in common now than they ever really had before.

“Adjusting is… slow.” He hated to admit that, never wanting to seem as though he was anything but perfect at whatever he put his hand to. But he could scarcely pretend that this wasn’t wildly out of the usual for him. T’ghen had never been involved with dragons prior to his Searching and now his Impression. And Haithen seemed like someone he could safely admit that to without appearing weak or foolish. “I’m not accustomed to having someone else hearing my thoughts all the time.”

Offline Haithen

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 07:54:54 PM »
Saissith hadn’t seen a Hunter either, but other dragons around her had. Other fire lizards had. So she knew, vaguely, what they were. The size comparison would probably be off, but she still shared her mental image with Sinestath. Dragon-like sans wings. It was the closest thing she had by way of understanding them. Except they were usually green and brown. Jungle colors. They like fighting, she added softly. They are quick to chase, so we must be quicker.

It was a serious, dangerous thing they were trying to prepare for. She wasn’t the sort to go chasing after such a thing, but she wasn’t going to shy away from it either.

Haithen smiled a little more. “It was disquieting to me, at first. I didn’t realize she was aware of nearly everything I was thinking. While I never thought of it as an invasion of my privacy, I did quickly accept that there are just some things there’s no point in hiding.” Really, the only thing Haithen had tried to hide was his rather heated involvement with people. Beyond that, his mind had become quite open to Saissith.

Now, there just didn’t seem to be a point. When he’d first impressed, Haithen had tried all manner of ways to keep some things to himself. It had been reflex, a sort of defense to suddenly being so exposed. But she’d never used anything she’d learned against him and had become… safe. Incredibly safe. Haithed did lightly add, teasing, “I’m almost jealous he gets to know what you’re thinking all the time.”

Tags:

OOC Recent

[Yesterday at 10:40:46 PM]

[Yesterday at 12:17:45 PM]

by Inki
[October 12, 2018, 04:52:17 AM]

by Inki
[October 12, 2018, 03:23:05 AM]

[October 12, 2018, 02:38:47 AM]

[October 11, 2018, 11:45:32 PM]

by Bee
[October 11, 2018, 09:01:55 PM]

[October 11, 2018, 04:01:26 PM]

[October 09, 2018, 01:42:20 PM]

[October 07, 2018, 01:46:15 PM]

by Kyya
[October 07, 2018, 01:29:07 PM]

[October 07, 2018, 10:30:37 AM]

[October 06, 2018, 03:58:09 PM]

by Kyya
[October 06, 2018, 02:13:10 PM]

by Inki
[October 06, 2018, 01:19:41 AM]
Pern RPs | Other RPs
Red River Weyr - 3rd Pass Pern RP Rainbow Mists Weyr Canyon River Weyr | RPG-D
Fortune Favors the Brave | World of Remnant - An AU RWBY RP OSH
Under the Wings Pern Unbound | Xenedria: Scifi Master/slave RPG
Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! | Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate!

Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! |
Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! | Blood Law - Anitaverse RPG Open Affiliate!
Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! | Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate!