Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

Required Reading
links to read before you join

Ic Info
Character information, Applications, and Adoptables

Bestiarum
The notable fauna of SWW

OOC Extras
Fun things around the forum to wittle at time between posts or links to OOC info

A comprehensive list of links to all our info

Guest Info Plot & Events

Current Month
5.2591 A.R.
9th Interval

Southern Winds has plotted events roughly every OOC week. This means our story is ever evolving and Southern Winds is changing. Events for the current month are listed here, once you've registered for an account.

Our roleplay time is pretty fluid. We allow you to play anything that may have happened in the past, but not in the future, as events that may affect the entire weyr may ruin futuristic plots.

We list Flights, Clutches, and Hatchings for both Dragons and Whers here, though not for firelizards.  There are Candidate events, Weyrling classes, Holder plots, and Crafthall developments -- a little bit of something for everyone.

See previous events here!

Feel free to say hello, guesties! Registered members can request a colored name here.

Remember,
this holds no IC consequence and is only for fun.

photo voteforus_zps4dda9678.png
Click on the following to place your vote for us. Daily clicks would be fantastic!

Pernese Online A Gift of Dragons Shadowplay Topsites Top RP Sites

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

http://southernwindsweyr.net/Images/news icon copy.png We are a mature, 9th Interval AU Pern. We've destroyed almost the entire planet in a catastrophic event. While we feature 2 new mutations, we stick pretty close to canon. We've Ranks, roles, and positions for just about anyone who wants to get involved, with a relaxed community. Play and post at your own pace. Swing by and say hello!

Registration?
Southern Winds uses a subaccount system to distinguish between Players and their Characters. So REGISTER with your Player Account Name and the admin will assign you your Character Subaccount once your character is approved!

Southern Winds is a Mature Roleplay. This means we allow for sexual, violent content that would be found in a struggling, 9th Interval Pern. Sex is common place in the Weyr and terrible deaths are no stranger here. As such, our players should be 18+. These themes are to be handled maturely at all times.

Regards,
Southern Winds Weyr

Author Topic: How important is art?  (Read 347 times)

Offline SanctifiedSavage

How important is art?
« on: February 10, 2018, 02:56:49 PM »
There was a question posed over on Pernese Online, and I thought it was a neat one to discuss with all of you too. The initial question was, simplified, how important is it that you receive hatchling art when your character impresses? Would it deter you from joining a site if your character didn't receive their own customized dragon art?

But I also wanted to extrapolate, and expand, on that a little. Would you turn away from a site if they didn't have any art at all?

In other words, how important is it, to you, that an rp site has arts?

Online Inki

Re: How important is art?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 03:35:20 PM »
This is a question surprisingly that I've never had to ask myself, but is definitely an interesting one. In the past all the sites that I've been on have had art, did I discount other potential sites cause they didn't have art? I can't quite remember.

But after experiencing SWW I'm quite certain what I'd like in the future if the need ever arose.
1. I love hatchling art. Need hatchling art.
2. I'd like... some kind of art on the site (Esp. for colours and such). I get that descriptions can do as well for other people, but it's like a little gift. So I wouldn't join a site without some art in informational topics.
3. I definitely wouldn't join a site that had no art at all, nor a site that had optional art that only you could provide.
4. If art wasn't the default (for hatchlings or otherwise) but I could go request art to be made on the site, then maybe I'd consider joining, if the process was quite common and easy.

Offline Spiffy

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 03:50:04 PM »
I wouldn't particularly class it as important to me, personally. Don\t get me wrong, I love it when someone puts their time and effort into making a picture for me, and I like doing it myself, but no more than the effort of writing the dragon in the first place, especially if it's more than just a list of words. An image definitely helps, I'm not particularly great at visualising a whole dragon from just a picture, but along the same thread I don't tend to picture a whole intricately patterned dragon when I'm reading posts either. Quite frequently, I haven't even looked at a dragon's image closely when I'm reading posts with them in it - the speech colours are enough for me to make a general distinction in my mind between one dragon and another and to visualise them in the space described.

On the subject of hatchling art specifically, I personally prefer adult art as that tends to be the more detailed and comprehensive of the two images on offer across different sites, I've noticed. For example, the hatchings here are partially obscured by their eggshells, which irks me.

Not sure how much of a dealbreaker to joining a site not having art would be, as all of the sites I've been on relatively recently have all had it to some degree, even if it's only the little tiny pixels. I think for most people it's easier to provide a small, simple picture from the myriad of bases available for free online than to think up how to describe the picture they have in their mind. Or to just make it up as you go along and think 'yeah, that looks cool, that'll do'.

Offline SanctifiedSavage

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 07:50:47 PM »
My answer is sorta two fold, both in what I would outwardly judge a site by and what I would judge a site by before I joined. Because I realized they're two different things. XD

The short, easy answer is that I don't think that art is required for a site to be nice. Plot is always the most important. Hatchling art isn't required by any stretch and I can understand why some people wouldn't even bother - since a lot of newly impressed characters end up becoming inactive. It can be disappointing creating art only to have it not be used. Thankfully we have a lot of enterprising people who churn out a lot of art for people's dragons But for one person to have to do it all, I can see how it can be, or could be, daunting.  So while art is always nice, and I can be a little judgy of what art I do see, I don't think every site has to have it.

However, for me to join a site... I definitely think a site should have hatchling art and dragon art. It took me awhile to be able to provide creature art for SWW, but now that we have it, I'm super thrilled and I'd like to see such things in a site I'd join. Being able to visualize things is a great boon. So I'd probably expect more out of a site I might join than one just in passing. Because I'm a turd like that.

Offline Drewliet

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 06:33:43 PM »
SWW is the first site I've belonged to that has such an extensive gallery, and not just for dragons. I love it, it makes the entire site feel more complete and each dragon seems a little more special. Prior to this site, however, it wasn't something I even thought about because it wasn't an easy or popular thing to do when I last was part of a forum community.

It didn't feel important when I was looking for a site to join, but it was one of the many things that made SWW stand out and feel appealing.

Like Spiffy said, though, I don't put any special weight on hatchling vs adult art, and I also prefer the latter. I do think it will be fun, once my baby dragons start to grow up, to compare and contrast hatchling vs adult markings and colorings.

Offline Aster

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 07:04:39 PM »
SWW is the first site I've belonged to that has such an extensive gallery, and not just for dragons. I love it, it makes the entire site feel more complete and each dragon seems a little more special.

This! However, I'm also very much on the same page as Inki in terms of ... I am not one of those people for whom descriptions are really enough. :) I honestly have a lot of trouble creating mental pictures of dragons (and humans, but there are face claims and descriptive additions to help me with that one) and having art makes an enormous difference for that. SWW is great enough to also have the size charts so I can get an idea of how they're relating to one another!

I definitely wouldn't have it being a dealbreaker for an otherwise amazing site to not have art, but it's a huge huge bonus that improves my experience a whole lot. What would be a dealbreaker would be the idea of having to provide your own art: where would I be without all of you lovely people who know how to color things?

Tags:

OOC Recent

[Yesterday at 03:33:24 PM]

[August 12, 2018, 09:39:07 PM]

[August 12, 2018, 08:57:09 PM]

[August 12, 2018, 08:23:03 AM]

by Inki
[August 11, 2018, 08:01:55 PM]

[August 11, 2018, 03:50:13 AM]

[August 10, 2018, 04:20:47 PM]

[August 09, 2018, 02:43:41 PM]

by Wren
[August 09, 2018, 09:03:16 AM]
Pern RPs | Other RPs
Red River Weyr - 3rd Pass Pern RP Rainbow Mists Weyr Canyon River Weyr | RPG-D
Fortune Favors the Brave | World of Remnant - An AU RWBY RP OSH
Kitaro Weyr Under the Wings | Xenedria: Scifi Master/slave RPG Open Affiliate!
Pern Unbound | Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate!

Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! |
Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! | Blood Law - Anitaverse RPG Open Affiliate!
Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! | Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate!