Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

Required Reading
links to read before you join

Ic Info
Character information, Applications, and Adoptables

Bestiarum
The notable fauna of SWW

OOC Extras
Fun things around the forum to wittle at time between posts or links to OOC info

A comprehensive list of links to all our info

Guest Info Plot & Events

Current Month
6.2591 A.R.
9th Interval

Southern Winds has plotted events roughly every OOC week. This means our story is ever evolving and Southern Winds is changing. Events for the current month are listed here, once you've registered for an account.

Our roleplay time is pretty fluid. We allow you to play anything that may have happened in the past, but not in the future, as events that may affect the entire weyr may ruin futuristic plots.

We list Flights, Clutches, and Hatchings for both Dragons and Whers here, though not for firelizards.  There are Candidate events, Weyrling classes, Holder plots, and Crafthall developments -- a little bit of something for everyone.

See previous events here!

Feel free to say hello, guesties! Registered members can request a colored name here.

Remember,
this holds no IC consequence and is only for fun.

photo voteforus_zps4dda9678.png
Click on the following to place your vote for us. Daily clicks would be fantastic!

Pernese Online A Gift of Dragons Shadowplay Topsites Top RP Sites

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

http://southernwindsweyr.net/Images/news icon copy.png We are a mature, 9th Interval AU Pern. We've destroyed almost the entire planet in a catastrophic event. While we feature 2 new mutations, we stick pretty close to canon. We've Ranks, roles, and positions for just about anyone who wants to get involved, with a relaxed community. Play and post at your own pace. Swing by and say hello!

Registration?
Southern Winds uses a subaccount system to distinguish between Players and their Characters. So REGISTER with your Player Account Name and the admin will assign you your Character Subaccount once your character is approved!

Southern Winds is a Mature Roleplay. This means we allow for sexual, violent content that would be found in a struggling, 9th Interval Pern. Sex is common place in the Weyr and terrible deaths are no stranger here. As such, our players should be 18+. These themes are to be handled maturely at all times.

Regards,
Southern Winds Weyr

Author Topic: Private Where the music calls [ 37.10.2590 / 7PM ] Soliana  (Read 89 times)

Offline J'dan

Where the music calls [ 37.10.2590 / 7PM ] Soliana
« on: September 13, 2018, 02:21:21 PM »
J’dan would never say that he didn’t like his Wing, nor was he complainer about duties that needed done. What sort of Bronzer would he be if he did something so embarrassing? That didn’t mean, though, that when an opportunity presented itself that he wasn’t going to take advantage of an evening of fun and music. It was a real weakness for him.

Harpers? Music? A dance floor? It sang to J’dan like the sky called to a dragon. It wasn’t like the Riders got to do this sort of thing all the time. So, just for tonight, he forgot about the mutations, the politics, and sought to enjoy himself. It wasn’t like he was seeking out those that were attached to the odd colors, it was more that he just didn’t want to think about all that serious stuff.

Not tonight and not while there were so many people in the Weyrhall that looked like they wanted to have fun too. Alcohol decorated one of the tables usually reserved for food, as the Brewers had been working up for this occasion, and there was a bit more extra food then other people might be used to. Though it wasn’t the food or drink that he cared for, in particular, it just meant the attitude and company in the Weyrhall was celebratory. Relaxed.

They were all still alive, after all. There was plenty to be happy and joyous over.

And J’dan? Well the bronzer wasn’t about to pass up an opportunity to dance with those who were within arm’s reach. It didn’t matter if he knew them or not. He’d already passed through a handful of partners – most Riders he recognized. When the Harpers kicked up the next song, though, he snagged the hand of a pretty girl who had been sitting behind a cluster of people who had happened to move at the right time. She was a hair shorter than he was, but it was a nice match. Grinning, already keyed up from his previous dances, he didn’t really ask so much as pull her into the steps to the song. Nothing complicated, it was more of a go with the  flow and follow his lead. This was all in good fun after all and he wasn’t seeking to make a fool out of anyone.

Spoiler for OOC:
Lemme know if there's something I need to change or adjust <3
@Nymphali
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:23:15 PM by SanctifiedSavage »

Length: 35M | Height: 6.5M | Wingspan: 56.5M

Offline Soliana

• I'm searching for something inside of myself.
    • View Profile

• she/her
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Nymphali
  • Plotter
Re: Where the music calls [ 37.10.2590 / 7PM ] Soliana
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:00:35 PM »
There was something decidedly comforting about the sound of music floating on air with tremors of joyous notes and a deeper beat which resonated in her chest and made her heart soar. It was almost enough for Soliana to forget the anxious way she had looked around the throng of eager dancers and those who participated in the Turn's End festivities, as if expecting to find herself face to face with some reminder that her fun could only twirl on the end of a short chain clasped by her parents' hands.

She supposed that her brother was around somewhere, having volunteered to "chaperone" despite finding himself deep in the festivities himself and more concerned with his own enjoyment. Likewise her sister was there too, but with the man she had married; beautiful and effervescent as always by his side. Fingers plucked at the stray wisps of hair that curled around her face where they had been left free, curling a lock around her index to keep from fidgeting with something else. It was her free hand that J'dan took into his own to tug her into action, the girl's feet listening to the promise of freedom and spirited desire even as her heart lurched in her throat at the man's forwardness.

Still, she was nothing if not obliging as a rebelliously giddy smile fluttered at the edges of her lips and she moved her hands into position. Dance had been something she'd learned because it was, "expected of a young lady," or so her mother and sister often told her. Secretly though, Soliana had felt a thrill and pleasure at finding something she was able to enjoy, even if it was from behind the lines set as a defining feature of her life. Had she been able to go through with her audition and join the Harper apprentices, the girl might have even taken up dance as a secondary specialization to the singing that she loved, but neither had been in her future.

It was only here in the midst of a hundred other faces blurring around her and following the lead of another that she was comfortable enough to let the music overwhelm that fear, and she was used to ignoring the bitter way that settled or how she wished she had the courage for it to be different. A curious glance was swept along the features of her 'charming' companion, withholding judgment despite the quick notions that ran through her head in response to the information gathered. A rider. Certainly not the suitor she'd heard her parents whispering about her eventually meeting.

"You're rather light on your feet," she said in way of a compliment. "I don't think we've met before." If they had, she decided in the next moment, it hadn't been long enough for an introduction or for the meeting to be memorable.

Spoiler for OOC:
Nope, it was great!
@SanctifiedSavage
« Last Edit: Today at 08:20:30 AM by Soliana »

Offline J'dan

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 03:14:39 PM »
J’dan would’ve let her go if she’d had protested overly much, but she didn’t. Instead, her feet carried her near and she readily followed his lead into the song. Splendid. The night was too young and he was having too much fun for it to be brought low, even momentarily, by someone who didn’t want to participate.

The dance itself was an easy step. Casual, light, and fun. Meant to be enjoyed by anyone who even had an inkling when it came to music, which was why the Harpers had picked it. Not too fast, not too slow to be intimate. Just a merry, bouncing melody to keep the spirits high while food and drink was shared. J’dan was hardly the only Rider to be taking on dancing partners. He was just one of the rare few to be taking on strangers for the role.

His hand was light on her hip while he smiled, nodding a little. “Dancing is one of the things I enjoy. Similar to sparring, in away. Though generally with a more attractive partner.” The flattery came easy to J’dan. He was in a good mood and she was pretty.

Guiding her into a spin, it was when she came back to him that he said, “Name’s J’dan. Yours?” He hadn’t bothered with the couple he’d danced with before her, but if she wanted to know him, the bronzer wasn’t about to object to getting to know her.

Offline Soliana

• View Profile

• she/her
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Nymphali
  • Plotter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 05:22:15 PM »
The jovial tune had sent her into high spirits, and even if it hadn't, the handsome rider with flattery on his tongue and a practiced touch certainly didn't hurt. She found herself smiling back in return, albeit a bit shyly as her mind turned over the ways in which to respond. In the end, leading into a simple introduction had been the easiest, and she laughed under her breath as he guided her into a spin that had her twirling on the tips of her toes.

Her fingertips as they landed back on his shoulder and into his hand were light, but perhaps not as hesitant or questioning as they had been before as she tilted her head for the sound of his name. "J'dan?" She tested the way it played on her tongue, careful to mimic how he had pronounced the elided format before smiling again. "Well met. Mine's Soliana."

It was a bit longer before she felt brave enough to interrupt their dancing again, too content to enjoy the closeness of his body and the skill he demonstrated. Dancing and sparring, she thought to herself with a wry sort of curious amusement, wasn't that just an intriguing mix of culture and passion? "Did you learn in the Weyr, or elsewhere?" A slight quirk of her lips and arch of a brow hinted at a moment of playfulness as she added, "dancing, that is." Though she supposed his other interest could have been learned in many places too, and she would be lying if she tried to seem as if it hadn't left her just as curious.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:01:03 PM by Soliana »

Offline J'dan

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 09:38:52 PM »
Music had a great way of loosening even the shiest of people. Enabling them to relax as the song coaxed them out of their figurative shell. That was one of the reasons J’dan enjoyed dancing songs. Another was because it enabled him let loose and have some carefree fun.

Everyone needed a little bit of that in their life, in his opinion.

Soliana wasn’t the most brazen of girls he’d danced with this evening, but that didn’t bother him. She was light on her feet and kept pace with him. That was really all one could ask for in an impromptu dancing partner. It was during one of their closer moments that her next question came and he was happy to answer. “I learned while I was a Candidate, at the weyr. It was encouraged we socialize, and I found that was one of the best ways.” It was also a great way to get new people into bedfurs, when you were a Candidate.

That wasn’t exactly relevant to what she’d asked though, so he didn’t add that particular tidbit. Instead, guiding her close and around in the step of the song, he turned the question around, “Where did you learn to dance, lovely?” J’dan could no more place her as a Holder than a Crafter or a weyrfolk. He wasn’t so full of himself to think he’d met everyone or to think he’d have remembered if he had. They might all be in the weyr together on one island, but that hardly meant that they’d all been properly introduced to one another.

Offline Soliana

• View Profile

• she/her
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Nymphali
  • Plotter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 09:04:06 AM »
Alright, this was going pretty well. She hadn't tripped up yet, or stepped on his feet and made a fool of herself at least. Of course, Soliana doubted that she would, she didn't suffer from the uncoordinated movements that others sometimes did. Besides, she had a tendency to avoid anything that would be embarrassing if she could help it, and she wasn't sure what would be more embarrassing in this moment than accidentally crashing into her partner's toes. Well, save perhaps for landing flat on her backside. Probably best to avoid both.

Which meant falling into the music, and that was something the girl hardly minded at all. There were far worse places to be than in a dance with a rider who could hold a conversation as well as he moved. She was actually enjoying herself and the question of what her parents or siblings might think if they caught her now, smiling and making an attempt at casual flirtation with a bronze rider of all people, had fled her mind entirely. Instead, his answer drew her in with other questions balancing at the tip of her tongue, kept at bay only by lips too schooled in staying quiet to let them seek out the answers they desired.

The notion that candidates were encouraged to socialize with each other, perhaps others in the Weyr as well, wasn't an entirely new one to the girl. It made sense with how the individuals would be coming in from a variety of different backgrounds. Some might even be overwhelmed by the changes they saw, and socialization would also encourage camaraderie to form between emerging friendships and the sense of being a part of something larger than themselves. She just hadn't expected dancing to be a part of that.

For a moment, she considered asking him more about what it had been like in candidacy, but then he was guiding her closer and turning the question back onto her in a way that couldn't be avoided. Not that she minded. A tic for a tac and all that. It was fair for him to be just as curious as she was, even if it had been asked out of politeness rather than personal interest. His flattery was the most surprising part of it all, and she skirted around that demurely rather than entangle herself with it by drawing attention to how it momentarily had her faltering in the dance.

"My family," she supplied before explaining it further. "Um, I - uh - I love music anyway, but Mother always insisted that dancing was a proper skill for a lady to learn. So, I did." Among other things. Anything that had seemed useful for a young girl to learn so that she would be prepared for handling her own family and affairs one day in the future had been taught shrewdly, from dancing and conversation to cooking and basic sewing skills. Still, "I used to watch the Harpers and other Holders growing up too. Basically if there was music, I was there."

Offline J'dan

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 09:18:46 AM »
J’dan wasn’t trying to coax information out of her for any other reason than he was curious. A good mood put him in a social one. What he was learning, in their brief moments of chatter during the dance, was that she certainly wasn’t a rider. Her  face would’ve at least been familiar then. Rather, the answer about her family and how she described them reminded him so much of a traditional holder home.

Not that J’dan had anything against Holders. It was usually the other way around. Well. He did have something against the Holders that were far too entitled for their own good. But she was pleasant, didn’t seem adverse to his company, though he wasn’t sure if she knew he was a Rider. It had probably slipped out here and there but he wasn’t sure if she’d been around for it – and that didn’t particularly matter. Of course J’dan was proud of who he was, but he wouldn’t let such labels define their interaction for the dance if she wasn’t about to.

The song played down as the harpers hit a lull between the songs. A moment to rest their fingers and voices. J’dan didn’t let her go, though she could’ve easily pulled away from him. “I’m not sure I’d ever consider dancing proper, so much as fun,” he remarked, still smiling a little. “I hope it was more enjoyable than an obligation.” The hand on her hip slid to her lower back, to guide her a little closer. “Care for another dance?”

J’dan enjoyed how light she was on her feet, and would like to continue the dance, but he half expected her to politely excuse herself. His opinion of hold bred girls usually meant they were quick to flee from situations they might deem uncomfortable - such as close dances with Riders.

Offline Soliana

• View Profile

• she/her
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Nymphali
  • Plotter
« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:19:10 AM »
The song ended with a last note floating on the air, as if it too were reluctant to leave like Soliana was, and lingered for a few moments longer until it faded. She could still hear it though, in the way that you could hear someone's voice when they were gone, and she hummed softly on the pitch in quiet reply to his remark. The sound turned upward into a question as his hand slipped to her lower back and made it rather clear that he didn't wish for them to part quite yet. She was even aware how the hold was loose enough for her to leave if she wanted to, but she didn't.

A curious glance was made across the man's face as she weighed his offer and finally nodded with a smile. "You're definitely no obligation," she said with a partial laugh as she stepped closer, guided by his hand and her own wish to stay somewhere she felt wanted. "I hope I'm not keeping you from your dragon though?" Whether or not that was something that would eventually draw him back, she wasn't sure.

Her time with the creatures had been limited by her family's distrust of their riders, but she had always enjoyed seeing them and hearing about what it was like to live with them. She had been rather unhappy to move away from the Weyr when her father had stepped back into his old job as a Peacekeeper, but there had been little choice in her mind, she stayed with her family.

"You are a rider, right? I didn't get that wrong?" The idea that she might have mistaken his name for one being elided when it wasn't, or for misreading his rank by his knots suddenly dawned on her, sending a heated flush across her cheeks. "I'd feel silly if I had gotten that mixed up." She wasn't one of the holders who saw the Weyr as a problem, for they both had issues on either side that had to be worked out together, but she wasn't one of the girls she'd heard about who tripped over themselves to gain a rider's attention either. Still, her gaze fell momentarily to the knots on his shoulder to indicate what she had hoped she'd read properly.

Spoiler for OoC:
I'm guessing that he'd be wearing his knots, but if for some reason he wasn't just let me know and I can edit it!

Offline J'dan

« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:44:12 AM »
In J’dan’s limited experience with traditional ladies, there were usually two types. The first being the sort that generally didn’t want to be around Riders and the type that let their curiosity, or sense of adventure, allow them riskier interactions. He was pleased to find that she was the latter.

It was sweet she asked after his dragon though. Idly swaying because there wasn’t any real music to dance to yet, he said, “My bronze, Brynioth, has mostly been tended to already this evening.” Most wouldn’t have bothered to ask, since Riders would know one of their own wouldn’t be dancing if their dragon needed them, but he could excuse her ignorance. Those not bonded to a dragon just didn’t know and he didn’t hold that against her. Rather, it was nice that she even thought of it. For some, it was out of sight out of mind. Or that the dragon was little more than a tool that didn’t even bare any thought at all. Because she had asked though, J’dan thought it only right to offer, “Would you like to meet him?”

She was quite cute when she blushed. J’dan’s fingers of the hand not on her lower back idly brushed along her cheek.

The bronze might not be the most social when it came to other people, he’d never turn down other people fawning over him. No matter who it was.

Offline Soliana

• View Profile

• she/her
  • turns old
  • candidate.png
  • Nymphali
  • Plotter
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:08:06 PM »
If the prospect of being spirited away to meet a dragon hadn't been enough reason to pause and stare up at the rider with a mixture of uncertainty and awe, then his fingers brushing along her cheek had no problem doing the trick. Soliana wasn't really sure what to say at that moment. Of course, she knew what she was supposed to say whenever young men came calling, offering her a reason to slip away somewhere, but she wasn't entirely sure if "meeting one's dragon" fell into the same category as sneaking off for a tumble in the furs.

She was curious enough that she wanted to accept his offer, as well as cautious enough to spare a second's wonder for if it was a ploy to pull her away from the festivities. In the end, it was curiosity that won out. "Yes," she finally replied, smiling as her head tilted ever so slightly into his touch. It was nice, she decided as she stepped out of her comfort zone to trust in herself rather than the lessons and hissed warnings that had ruled her life up till then.

"If the two of you don't mind? Honestly," and here she laughed softly again, her breath catching a few wisps of hair as she turned to look away from the crowd of dancers, "I could use a drink anyway." A warm gaze returned to him as she swayed a bit to the beginning of the next song, playfulness finding its way to her tone as a hand shifted around his arm to the back of his shoulder instead. "Do you want to take a break though, or were you more interested in that second dance?" Right about now, she couldn't see a downside to either one.

Tags:

OOC Recent

[Today at 02:23:19 PM]

[Today at 01:13:49 PM]

[Today at 05:23:25 AM]

[Yesterday at 03:44:39 PM]

[Yesterday at 02:20:44 PM]

[Yesterday at 03:38:10 AM]

by Kyya
[September 16, 2018, 11:27:49 PM]

[September 16, 2018, 09:56:21 PM]

[September 15, 2018, 09:37:04 PM]

[September 15, 2018, 01:16:13 PM]

[September 15, 2018, 11:35:15 AM]

[September 15, 2018, 10:42:06 AM]

by Wren
[September 15, 2018, 09:30:13 AM]

by Inki
[September 14, 2018, 09:07:19 PM]

[September 14, 2018, 04:09:47 PM]
Pern RPs | Other RPs
Red River Weyr - 3rd Pass Pern RP Rainbow Mists Weyr Canyon River Weyr | RPG-D
Fortune Favors the Brave | World of Remnant - An AU RWBY RP OSH
Under the Wings Pern Unbound | Xenedria: Scifi Master/slave RPG
Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! | Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate!

Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! |
Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! | Blood Law - Anitaverse RPG Open Affiliate!
Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! | Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate! Open Affiliate!